PDA

View Full Version : Clam Placement :)

Toooloud
09-06-2003, 08:49 AM
well just wondering where you would all place this ..

Its a electric Blue Crocea, About 3-4 inches.

its in my 30 gallon tank Dimentions 22H 30L 12W the lighting on the tank is a 175 watt 10k Halide and a 55watt PC actinic with 60 pounds of live rock 100 pounds of sand also running a refugium on this system ( 33G) light 24/7.

He was sitting at the top of the tank looked like he was gapping so i moved him to the bottom.. now he has attached to a small rock that he was sitting on.. so thats a good sign i assum..

Just wondering if i have eough light to leave him on the bottom of the tank?

This is a shot of the clam its been in the tank for 3 weeks now.. here you can see his syphone is closed.. but it has been open alot..

http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/photos/data/504/1169Clam_day4_.jpg

Now this image is not looking the best, the white balance is off, to the eye he is more blue :)

Aquattro
09-06-2003, 02:37 PM
I think you'll be fine with it on the bottom.

Toooloud
09-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Now what about the coloration?

Does it look like it was bleached? I mean this is what it looked like when i got it.. ?

Aquattro
09-06-2003, 05:35 PM
It looks bit pale, but all the croceas I've seen in the last 2 months looked that way. I think you'll be fine in time. If you notice it getting any lighter, you may want to move it closer to the light.

Doug
09-06-2003, 10:21 PM
:biggrin: Welcome to Canreef, Toooloud :biggrin:

Aquattro
09-06-2003, 10:28 PM
:biggrin: Welcome to Canreef, Toooloud :biggrin:

Doh!! How rude of me!! Ya, what Doug said!!

Reef_kid
09-07-2003, 05:36 AM
i just picked up 2 for my 145g
croceas need to be set under the brightest light where they can attach themselves to the rock as you can see they have a large gap in the bottom where they will put out there foot to attach themselves to the rock
if they dont like the spot there in they will even start to move themselves!! i found mine in the sand upsidedown one morning!! :eek:
[/img]

Aquattro
09-07-2003, 05:54 AM
Although I've read croceas like rocks, mine has been on the sand for almost a year now. It's doing well there.

Toooloud
09-07-2003, 06:33 AM
Yea mine was at the top of my tank, about 6 inches from the 175 watt 10k halide and 2 55wat pcs. But found he was gapping.. he had attached to the rock though,

so i moved him down to the bottom of the tank about 18 inches from the halide now, seems to still be attached.. and not gapping as much.. so i will give himsome time and see if he is happier here or not.

Doug
09-07-2003, 12:48 PM
I have not had a crocea since the move, but in my other tank, it was on the highest rock in the tank, well attached. That was about 1 1/2ft. under a 400w Sunburst 12K bulb.

MalHavoc
09-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Here's a trick for getting clams to attach when you put them in the sand. Try burying a small seashell (a half oyster shell or something) under the clam, an inch or so beneath the sand surface. The clam will eventually attach its byssal gland to it. That way, it won't move on your sand bed, it won't tip over, and if you ever have to move the clam some place, you can just pick it up by the shell and carry it, like a teacup.

christyf5
09-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Hey MalHavoc,

Mine did that and I was annoyed to no end. I don't really know why. It just attached itself to a giant astrea shell. I never really thought that would add stability and when the clam finally let go of the bloody thing I moved the shell far away from the clam. Maybe I should move it back. :biggrin: Great advice!!

Christy :)

EmilyB
09-08-2003, 06:25 AM
The clam I just bought from Evan was attached to a small rock under the sand. Hell of a plan :cool: