PDA

View Full Version : holy 9 lives !!!

Abbyreefer
11-21-2009, 04:49 AM
Not sure how long a fish can live out of water or how many lives they have but my 1 year or clown fish jumped out of the tank sometime while I was watching TV downstairs. Came upstairs to see him laying on the floor almost completely dry and not breathing. My first instinct was to dump him back into the tank even though a part of me was like I dont think this will help. 2 seconds later he moved ever so slightly and was blown around by the current in the tank. I thought for sure he was a gonner. 20 seconds or so after putting him in he was breathing really rapidly and still blowing around in the current. He then tucked behind some rocks and about 10 minutes later was swimming in the tank like nothing even happened. Perfectly fine swimming into the current like he usually does . Amazing ! After being almost totally dry. If he had 9 lives I think he borrrowed a few from some of the other tank mates.
Anyways just wanted to share that and see if anyone knows how long a fish can actually be out of water ?

leducreef
11-21-2009, 05:05 AM
thats cool
i had a eel that was out of the tank for atleast five hrs fut hip back in and he is still alive to this day :lol:

elitesurfer
11-21-2009, 05:09 AM
Good thing you noticed him sooner than later. :D

no_bs
11-21-2009, 06:23 AM
This happened to a firemouth (freshwater). He jumped out and fell 4ft onto the concrete floor, by the time he was found he was pretty dry, but back into the tank, and back to life. Amazing

Abbyreefer
11-21-2009, 03:59 PM
anyone know how long a fish can survive out of water ?

Zoaelite
11-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Same thing happened to my Pixie Hawkfish, unfortuantly my cat found him before I did :neutral:.

Keri
11-21-2009, 06:10 PM
On my way out the door to work one morning I found my LMB totally crispy, not moving and covered in cat hair and lint on the tile - popped him back in the tank and by the time I got home he was good as new.....freakish.

My yellow wrasse also jumped out twice - once I found him right away....the second time, not so lucky :( I miss that fish!

I think some fish can last longer than others.

iansfishy
11-21-2009, 06:11 PM
I had a turbo snail out of the tank for at least four days once. I know because I had the top off cleaning, then went away for a few days. When I got back I could see a trail down the outside of the tank and down behind the stand. Thought he was a gonner too, put him in a small cup with water and whola, good as new!

Ricardovonfishington
11-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Same thing happened to my Pixie Hawkfish, unfortuantly my cat found him before I did :neutral:.

That never would have happened had you listened to your mother.

Leah
11-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Yikes, maybe I need to go to the dump and start searching

Abbyreefer
11-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks for sharing your stories everyone. This is truely amazing.

Zoaelite
11-21-2009, 10:22 PM
That never would have happened had you listened to your mother.

Well she didn't approve of the cats but I think it would of been a crispy hawkfish regardless of being chewed on by Munson. He was such a cool fish too :cry:.

Leah
11-21-2009, 10:29 PM
zoaElite,
Guess you know what know not to get your mom for a gift. :biggrin:

Zoaelite
11-21-2009, 10:53 PM
zoaElite,
Guess you know what know not to get your mom for a gift. :biggrin:

Well last time I tried to give her a hand written card and some valium I got beaten so... I no longer get my mother presents, instead I waste all of my money on fish that jump out of my tank and get eaten by my cats :neutral:.

(Ahah JK bout the beating thing)

Skimmerking
11-22-2009, 12:30 AM
found a snail 2 feet from my tank going up the studs in the fish room. lord knows how long he was there andmoving at that pace a few hours