PDA

View Full Version : lights

barthsimson
11-20-2009, 08:59 PM
hello everyone. i got a little question. i have 55 gal display tank. and i put 4x65 pc lights on it. my question is is it high lightning or moderate? i am having 4.72 w per gallon. can anyone tell e my lightning level please?

TheMikey
11-20-2009, 09:41 PM
WPG is a bit of an archaic measurement. Most reefers now refer to intensity of light in relation to depth of penetration in the aquarium.

In general, PC lighting is on the low end of the intensity scale. If you have any substantial depth, you will have a tough time keeping any moderate light demanding coral at a depth greater than 20" (however some will say less).

If you give us the dimensions of your tank, we may be able to give you a better idea of what you can keep - as I'm sure this is your main concern.

But, as a rule, you can expect light intensity as follows (from lowest to highest): Compact Fluroescent --> Power Compact (PC) --> T5HO --> Metal Hallide.

Now, I'm a T5 guy, but I will admit that MH is a fair bit more intense and will be more consistent PAR (unit to measure light intensity) throughout the whole water column. However there are some fabulous SPS tanks that use t5 only (like mine when my frags grow out ;) ) and don't need MH to thrive.

With PC, you should be able to keep most LPS and softies but you'll probably have to step back from clams and SPS unless you want to upgrade.

xtreme
11-20-2009, 10:21 PM
WPG is a bit of an archaic measurement. Most reefers now refer to intensity of light in relation to depth of penetration in the aquarium.

In general, PC lighting is on the low end of the intensity scale.

With PC, you should be able to keep most LPS and softies but you'll probably have to step back from clams and SPS unless you want to upgrade.

I agree.

TheMikey
11-21-2009, 12:34 AM
I agree.

Of course you do. I'm usually right :mrgreen:

:p

barthsimson
11-21-2009, 08:18 AM
the dimensions 48x12x21(h). and anither question is if i want to change the lights what should i get? 4x54 or 4x39 or 6x39 etc. i wanna get some corals for now and some sps later.
thanks for the reply guys.

nephron010
11-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi -

I am just starting out too, and think I will probably choose T5 as well. However, I was looking at some articles on LEDs, particularly DIY projects (this being Christmas time and all.. :) )

Anybody have thought on LEDs, equivalency in terms of wattage - or do I need to beg to borrow a PAR meter to figure this one out?

Thanks

Bloodasp
11-29-2009, 04:36 PM
LED technology is coming along. They will surely be the best ones out there someday. But the ones in the market right now are quite expensive at this point.

nephron010
11-29-2009, 04:40 PM
So you wouldn't recommend a DIY Christmas light project then :)

Its not like I take down my lights after Christmas anyway :)

patpare
11-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Using X-mas lights would make it rater hard to get the proper color temperature(K)If you wanna save money go the DIY way with retrofit kits