PDA

View Full Version : Adding new sand

ocean diver
11-20-2009, 12:46 AM
I want to add more sand to my tank, I have about 2" now and would like to add 2 more inches. Can I just put the sand in on top of the older stuff? The sand I want to add is not live sand, but of course the sand already in the tank is alive. Please advise as to adding more sand.

Thank you

Leah
11-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Make sure you have cleaned / rinsed it well
Be sure to turn off your power heads
And some say to add a little so as not to cover up the entire established sand bed
I have done it both ways

marie
11-20-2009, 01:05 AM
I just added more sand to my tank.
I rinsed it well, turned off the powerheads, put the sand in a ziplock bag,and carefully poured an inch thick layer at a time. It took 2 nights to add 2" of sand but there was very little clouding and all the sandbed critters appear to have survived

Marlin65
11-20-2009, 01:58 AM
Same here but I made holes in the sand and filled those in with new sand.

Myka
11-20-2009, 02:13 AM
Same here but I made holes in the sand and filled those in with new sand.

That's a good idea. Covering the old sand with new sand could smother the old sand, and cause a crash. I've see it happen a couple times to people. Not pretty.

naesco
11-20-2009, 02:32 AM
It is not a problem if you add it slowly as suggested. That way the tank won't get murky.

If you have a deep sand bed (DSB) I would not recommend digging holes in the sand bed. You will be disturbing the layers in the sand which have different functions. You may cause hydrogen sulfide ??? (or whatever gas it is) to be released into the tank. I think it would be safer to simply add it but spread out the additions for a number of days.

marie
11-20-2009, 03:23 AM
That's a good idea. Covering the old sand with new sand could smother the old sand, and cause a crash. I've see it happen a couple times to people. Not pretty.

As long as you keep the depth of the new sand at an inch or less and then give it a day or 2 for the critters to work their way up to the surface before adding more, it will be alright. My sandbed has been established for 3 1/2 yrs and adding new sand on top hasn't harmed it at all

ocean diver
11-22-2009, 03:10 AM
OK Thanks all, I will add my new sand in small layers and have a day or two between each layer.