PDA

View Full Version : Euro Reef Nano Skimmer

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-20-2009, 12:23 AM
I picked up the version for the Solana today. Nice to finally have a Canadian supplier (Ocean Aquatics). First impression is that it's very nicely built for a nano skimmer. Seems very solid. Simple design. Easy to set up. Cheaper than the Tunze 9002 which I seriously doubt can touch this one performance wise just based on design. I did use the Tunze and hated it.

One thing that was missing from mine was the sponge in the bottom. Does anyone know if they did away with that design? Or is it just missing?

There was a sponge in the bottom of the body that apparently helped keep micro bubbles out of the tank but also created some back pressure to keep the skimmer running properly.

I will take some pictures and let everyone know what I think after a few days.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-20-2009, 01:04 AM
After setting it up without the sponge, I realize that sponge is there to really keep micro bubbles out of the display :neutral: Crazy amount of bubbles!

I am quite impressed with the bubble size though, very tiny. Its a relatively tall skimmer which is great for performance but I am not a huge fan of the thing sticking out of the back. Oh well, its more about performance than looks this time. Actually the skimmer is not ugly though. The collection cup is the same size as the body, so it kind of looking like a really cool tube with micro bubbles in it. When its clean :)

I will clean it weekly along with my water changes. Clean the body, sponge (when I get it) and pump. The one downside I have read about is that it doesn't perform well once dirty. I really have no complaints about cleaning it weekly as part of my routine though.

Pictures soon.

ocean diver
11-20-2009, 01:06 AM
looking forward to the pictures, please include a tank shot.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-20-2009, 02:48 AM
I will include a tank shot so you can see how it looks.

But as expected its going nuts and needs some time to break in. Overflowing too much, so I am letting it run in a bucket of tank water for a few days. Apparently I could have avoided this by soaking it in vinegar for a while.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Customer service from Euro Reef has been great. They don't include the foam anymore for the solana version because people are complaining about it. It would collect detritus and then effect the skimmer performance. So now its not needed. The problem though is that I get an insane amount of micro bubbles in the display.

I am trying to work out a solution without the sponge. Euro Reef will send the sponge if you request it.

Skimmer overflowed a bunch because of the new acrylic so I ran it in vinegar for a few hours last night. Today its much better in the tank. Already pulling some light brown/green out of the water.

Still not a fan of how it sticks out of the tank but as my fiancee said last night, its not ugly and "if people are looking at it, then my tank obviously sucks a$$"

:lol:

I agree...I guess its not so bad. Especially if it makes whats IN the tank look even better.

I will take pictures soon.

Delphinus
11-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Man they finally released that thing? I wanted one for my 20g because it was going to be released "any month now" and I shut that tank down after at least 18 months or so, way back in March.

I'm sure it's a good skimmer, but this is one of my pet peeves about the pushers in this hobby pre-hyping stuff before it's really ready.

Is the problem with the looks because your tank has the sump in the back of the tank and not hidden in the stand?

The microbubble problem might get a little better over time but yeah if it's really bad then you might want to devise some clever solution. Can you fit a bubble trap in there somehow?

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Man they finally released that thing? I wanted one for my 20g because it was going to be released "any month now" and I shut that tank down after at least 18 months or so, way back in March.

I'm sure it's a good skimmer, but this is one of my pet peeves about the pushers in this hobby pre-hyping stuff before it's really ready.

Is the problem with the looks because your tank has the sump in the back of the tank and not hidden in the stand?

The microbubble problem might get a little better over time but yeah if it's really bad then you might want to devise some clever solution. Can you fit a bubble trap in there somehow?

This skimmer has been out for a while in the US now actually. Just that OA is the first in Canada to get it. I think they may be the only Canadian vendor?

Anyways, yes the looks problem, if you want to call it that, is the thing sticking out of the back compartment. But its really not a problem in my opinion. Many people, especially with the rimless craze will hate how it looks. For me, as long as the front and sides of the tank are clean and equipment free, I don't mind. My light also blocks much of it from sight when looking at the tank straight on. Its more noticeable from the sides. But whatever. Like my lovely fiancee said, I have bigger problems if the skimmer is more interesting than the corals/fish.

I also wouldn't want to sacrifice the skimmer height for aesthetics. Its nice to find a nano skimmer that is 24" tall!

Robbert from Euro Reef has been great and said it will take a week to break in. Probably best to take the collection cup off for now he said.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-20-2009, 08:38 PM
One of the reasons that I don't think the design looks too bad sticking out of the top is that its all one clean line. The collection cup is not wider than the body.

EDIT: Ok, well it is a little in this picture but this must be an older model, mine is exactly flush with the body. This one does stick out a little. Mine looks like they made the skimmer body wider to match the collection cup. It also came with a nice silencer not pictured here. Must be an old model.

Not my pics but here you go:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/nano-protein-skimmers-ns25-3lclg.jpg

I also like the Alloy Mesh Wheel:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/euroreefskimmer0001.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/alloymesh-6.jpg

VFX
11-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Here's some pics of my one before I installed it...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/bunglie/PA140009-1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/bunglie/PA140010-1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/bunglie/PA140011-1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/bunglie/PA140012-1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/bunglie/PA140013-1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/bunglie/PA140016-1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/bunglie/PA140015-1.jpg

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-20-2009, 08:54 PM
How do you like it VFX? How long have you had it now?

Oscar
11-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Cheaper than the Tunze 9002 which I seriously doubt can touch this one performance wise just based on design. I did use the Tunze and hated it.

What bugged you about the Tunze?

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-20-2009, 09:06 PM
What bugged you about the Tunze?

I didn't like the pump after a while because it wouldn't start up properly. The design is not great when you consider the height and also the contact time for the bubbles. Its basically pushing bubbles through a tube into a tiny neck if I remember correctly. I was not impressed at all with the performance.

Oh and it was MORE expensive than the Euro Reef by $20 or so.

Oscar
11-20-2009, 09:14 PM
I didn't like the pump after a while because it wouldn't start up properly. The design is not great when you consider the height and also the contact time for the bubbles. Its basically pushing bubbles through a tube into a tiny neck if I remember correctly. I was not impressed at all with the performance.

Oh and it was MORE expensive than the Euro Reef by $20 or so.

Looking forward to your review. The Euroreef for the CadLights is $70 more than the Tunze.

VFX
11-20-2009, 09:15 PM
The Euro Reef has only been running for a few weeks & I'm still in micro bubble land but at least the over filling collection cup thing stopped after a week or so.

I've had no problems with the Tunze 9002 I'm running on my 20G. I've only got a tiny frogfish, a yellow goby & a cleaner shrimp in there so maybe I'm not taxing it too much.

To early to tell but so far the Euro Reef seems a much better product in terms of performance & price.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Looking forward to your review. The Euroreef for the CadLights is $70 more than the Tunze.

Yes I believe that one is a dual pump model!

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-20-2009, 09:37 PM
The Euro Reef has only been running for a few weeks & I'm still in micro bubble land but at least the over filling collection cup thing stopped after a week or so.

I've had no problems with the Tunze 9002 I'm running on my 20G. I've only got a tiny frogfish, a yellow goby & a cleaner shrimp in there so maybe I'm not taxing it too much.

To early to tell but so far the Euro Reef seems a much better product in terms of performance & price.

I already fixed the micro bubble problem for the most part. I have LR rubble and chaeto in the middle which helps but now I also put a piece of eggcrate ontop of that and put my bag of carbon on it. It traps a lot of the bubbles.

I also stretched out the chaeto to cover more area and catch more bubbles.

Still get some in the tank but its only be a few days. Hopefully it will calm down.

I may put a sponge or some sort of bubble trap in the middle section eventually.

LeeR
11-21-2009, 02:08 AM
what the over all hight of this thing? and what water depth is needed?

blaster
11-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Do you have to have the top open for these skimmers,if so to me they are useless.I'm just setting up a nano 29biocube and am in the market for a skimmer.I want everything hidden though,if the skimmer has to sit on the outside of the tank i can get a oversized hangon.

shrimpchips
11-21-2009, 03:47 PM
GSP, what are the overall dimensions on this thing? I too dislike my 9002 - I feel like it could be doing a lot better than it is. I guess I'll wait a while to see how your unit is working out :)

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-21-2009, 11:13 PM
what the over all hight of this thing? and what water depth is needed?

The height is 24". Im not sure yet about the water depth but its working in about 8" right now I think. Its designed specifically for the Solana, but you can get many different ones (design is similar for each) for different nanos. They kind of custom made different models to fit the AIO tanks.

Do you have to have the top open for these skimmers,if so to me they are useless.I'm just setting up a nano 29biocube and am in the market for a skimmer.I want everything hidden though,if the skimmer has to sit on the outside of the tank i can get a oversized hangon.

It would be useless to you then.

GSP, what are the overall dimensions on this thing? I too dislike my 9002 - I feel like it could be doing a lot better than it is. I guess I'll wait a while to see how your unit is working out :)

I was not impressed with the 9002 at all and I had only 3 small fish in the tank at the time. It really should have been able to handle that. Most of all though I just found it inconsistent.

The EuroReef is still breaking in, so nothing new to say. I have it running in the tank without the collection cup on right now. Euro Reef said to try that for about 5-7 days and then it should start to run properly (ie. won't overflow in a matter of minutes).

24" tall and I think I heard 3.5" "wide" but I would have to measure the body.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-22-2009, 04:22 PM
I decided to try putting the collection cup back on last night and this morning I am happy to see it didn't overflow and is actually skimming quite dry. I expected it to be skimming very wet. It could be better but Im not complaining considering its a nano skimmer.

I still have to work out the micro bubbles in the display.

Here are a few pictures:

This is what you see from the front of the tank:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG_7838.jpg

Side (it has been running with the cup for about 8 hours now):

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG_7840.jpg

Oscar
11-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Yesterday at 9:00am I posted a question on the Euro-Reef Nano website. By 11:00 Robbert, the owner, called me from California. We had a 20 minute discussion on skimmers, weather, the economy and politics.

He asked me to send him some photos of my tank and setup to ensure that his designs for a 39G Cad Signature would work. By 4:30 in the afternoon he confirmed that his original design was not going to conflict with any of the equipment I have installed and that he was going to build a batch of skimmers for this tank configuration.

Now that is customer service! I have now placed an order through Ocean Aquatics. Hope to see it in a couple of weeks.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Yesterday at 9:00am I posted a question on the Euro-Reef Nano website. By 11:00 Robbert, the owner, called me from California. We had a 20 minute discussion on skimmers, weather, the economy and politics.

He asked me to send him some photos of my tank and setup to ensure that his designs for a 39G Cad Signature would work. By 4:30 in the afternoon he confirmed that his original design was not going to conflict with any of the equipment I have installed and that he was going to build a batch of skimmers for this tank configuration.

Now that is customer service! I have now placed an order through Ocean Aquatics. Hope to see it in a couple of weeks.

I agree. I emailed him last night and he gave me a call this morning (sunday)to make sure I was happy with the skimmer. I have spoken to him over the phone a few times now about the skimmer and he's a great guy.

Oscar
11-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I already fixed the micro bubble problem for the most part. I have LR rubble and chaeto in the middle which helps but now I also put a piece of eggcrate ontop of that and put my bag of carbon on it. It traps a lot of the bubbles.

I am trying to figure out the location of the outflow from your photos, but I just do not see it?

I used sponge on a previous micro bubble maker like you mentioned. That seemed to work well.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-23-2009, 11:48 PM
I am trying to figure out the location of the outflow from your photos, but I just do not see it?

I used sponge on a previous micro bubble maker like you mentioned. That seemed to work well.

The Solana has 3 chambers in the back. The overflow on the left pushes the water down to the bottom of the first chamber where the skimmer is. Then the output water from the skimmer goes over the top of the first chamber and down into the second chamber and from there under to the last chamber. So under, over, under like you may do the baffles in a sump...but in a AIO, that doesn't work if the skimmer is already INSIDE one of the baffles! There should be baffles before the return pump if they had really thought of the design well. There is probably just enough room to do this in the Solana.

Anyways, I have added filter floss to the top of the second chamber right at the top of the water level. It traps almost all the bubbles although some of the finest ones still escape.

I don't like that I have to change the floss every few days but it collects all kind of other crap too, so I guess its worth it. If I were away for a few days, I would remove the floss. It could get really backed up.

Oscar
11-24-2009, 12:17 PM
The CadLights has 4 chambers but the skimmer has to fit in chamber 2. So it also only has 2 chambers left for bubbles to be removed.

In my previous post I was really meaning to ask where the outflow from the skimmer is. I see one hose but I though that was the air intake?

Myka
11-24-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm considering using the EuroReef Nano on my 20g with sump. I see Ocean Aquatics has a bunch of different designs to us with the different Nano AIO's. Anyone know which one I would use just simply for in-sump? It's not much cheaper than the RS-80 though, so I may just go with that tried and true option.

Oscar
11-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Anyone know which one I would use just simply for in-sump? It's not much cheaper than the RS-80 though, so I may just go with that tried and true option.

Try sending a note directly to Robbert. You will find their address on this website: http://www.nanoreefsystems.com/index.asp He might even give you a phone call!

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-24-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm considering using the EuroReef Nano on my 20g with sump. I see Ocean Aquatics has a bunch of different designs to us with the different Nano AIO's. Anyone know which one I would use just simply for in-sump? It's not much cheaper than the RS-80 though, so I may just go with that tried and true option.

You may just want to go with the RS-80 if you can. Really the ER nano skimmers are only great if you have an AIO tank and have no choice but to use a skimmer only a few inches in diameter. They are great for AIO because they work well and fit in the back...but if you compare them to something like the RS-80, they wouldn't compete I don't think.

Myka
11-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Thanks Oscar! I will do that.

GSP, ya that's what I'm thinking. Although the tank will probably only be about 25 gallons including the sump, so the RS-80 would be quite serious. :lol: I'm not sure it would fit in the stand either now that I think of it. I should measure.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Update on the skimmer.

It is fully broken in now and I am super impressed with its performance. I can't believe a nano skimmer can pull this much crap out of a lightly stocked tank.

Its also great that this thing can skim very dry. The tunze I used to own had to skim wet and wasn't even good at it!

Here are some pics of some skimmate. This is just over 24 hours skimming dry.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG_7842.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG_7843.jpg

spikehs
12-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Hmmm, i'm toying with the idea of getting one of these... would it fit ok in a chamber thats 4x6" ? Thanks.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Hmmm, i'm toying with the idea of getting one of these... would it fit ok in a chamber thats 4x6" ? Thanks.

Yes it would but I would talk to EuroReef about which model to get. Is this a specific all in one tank?

The different models fit the all in one tanks differently. You need to make sure you get the right one for your tank.

Oscar
12-04-2009, 12:40 AM
It is fully broken in now and I am super impressed with its performance. I can't believe a nano skimmer can pull this much crap out of a lightly stocked tank.

Thanks for the update, I have a unit on the way hopefully arriving next week.

Did you solve the microbubble issue?

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the update, I have a unit on the way hopefully arriving next week.

Did you solve the microbubble issue?

Yes, I am using filter floss at the top of the water level in the second chamber. Most of the bubbles went away after the skimmer broke in but the few that still come out of it get caught in the floss which also takes out a lot of crap from the water. Pain is I have to change it every day or two but I think its worth it. If I am away for a few days, I would just take the floss out.

LeeR
12-04-2009, 03:00 AM
ended up buying the solana version for my 10g sump... my water level was a bit to low and my stand was to short im moving soon so i was planning on building a bigger stand and sump anyways. for the mean time i went down to industrial plastics and paint and picked up some off cut acrylic tubing for $20and made a new shorter wider body. its working a hell of alot better then my tunze nano ever did even within the first 2 days of breakin.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-04-2009, 07:14 AM
ended up buying the solana version for my 10g sump... my water level was a bit to low and my stand was to short im moving soon so i was planning on building a bigger stand and sump anyways. for the mean time i went down to industrial plastics and paint and picked up some off cut acrylic tubing for $20and made a new shorter wider body. its working a hell of alot better then my tunze nano ever did even within the first 2 days of breakin.

Cool, I would love to see some pics if you can. The meshwheel pump is amazing. Just based on the design, the performance of Tunze shouldn't be able to and can't come close to the EuroReef.

It's nice to finally have a good nano skimmer out there. I was hoping someone would eventually come out with a nice small meshwheel skimmer for nanos :mrgreen:

LeeR
12-04-2009, 01:35 PM
yep, for sure i will get some pictures tonight.

spikehs
12-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes it would but I would talk to EuroReef about which model to get. Is this a specific all in one tank?

The different models fit the all in one tanks differently. You need to make sure you get the right one for your tank.

Thanks, i got a hold of Robbert at euroreef, just going over which one would work best. Then its time to drop hints to Santa.

This doesn't have a drain does it? I wonder how easy it would be to put one in without cracking the cup?

LeeR
12-05-2009, 01:34 AM
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k329/LeeRoz_2008/IMG_1154.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k329/LeeRoz_2008/IMG_1151.jpg

bodys 14" tall and 2.75" ID. i have lots of acrylic left i think i might make a 13" tall just so i have a bit more adjustability

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-08-2009, 05:53 AM
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k329/LeeRoz_2008/IMG_1154.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k329/LeeRoz_2008/IMG_1151.jpg

bodys 14" tall and 2.75" ID. i have lots of acrylic left i think i might make a 13" tall just so i have a bit more adjustability

Looks great!

Oscar
12-09-2009, 03:40 PM
My Euro-reef nano skimmer arrived yesterday. That's only 2 weeks from original order from California and via Ocean Aquatics. I think this is the first version constructed for a Cad 39G. This version has two pumps for twice the fun.

I installed it last night and boy does it ever generate bubbles! My tank lights were off by time the skimmer was installed so I cannot say how many microbubbles went into the display tank, but I do have the supplied sponge installed.

I left the cup off last night as recommended. This morning the bubble level was way down. That allowed me to adjust the skimmer and install the cup.

One downfall with this version is the two pumps required me to get another powerbar. But after 4 tries with skimmers maybe I finally have one that is going to work.

Myka
12-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Awesome! Keep up updated! =]

This is so cool that they are essentially making custom skimmers for AIO tanks. It's nice that a good skimmer company has noticed the giant market for it!

Oscar
12-09-2009, 05:01 PM
This is so cool that they are essentially making custom skimmers for AIO tanks. It's nice that a good skimmer company has noticed the giant market for it!

Either they have a basement full of AIO tanks or they have been supplied the specs. When I had a look at the OA website a couple of weeks ago a skimmer for my tank was not listed. I posted a question on the Euro-reef Nano website, Robbert called and chatted, then he went to work building a bunch of skimmers for my tank.

It is the same skimmer with minor modifications so that the unit will fit into the necessary chamber.

trilinearmipmap
12-10-2009, 01:05 AM
I've had my nano skimmer for something like 4-1/2 months on a 30 gallon cube.

I have noticed the metal meshwheel seems to be worn down quite a bit compared to when I first got the skimmer.

For the first few months the skimmer was noisy and skimmed very well. I had to raise the skimmer to the highest position to avoid overflowing the collection cup.

Now the skimmer is silent and I have it lowered to the lowest position in order to produce any skimmate.

I will e-mail EuroReef about this. I don't know if this is a common problem and I don't know if just the meshwheel can be replaced or if I need a whole new impeller/meshwheel unit.

Overall I have been happy with this skimmer and it is a huge improvement over my Tunze Reefpak which I have been meaning to take out into the back yard and shoot.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-10-2009, 05:30 AM
I've had my nano skimmer for something like 4-1/2 months on a 30 gallon cube.

I have noticed the metal meshwheel seems to be worn down quite a bit compared to when I first got the skimmer.

For the first few months the skimmer was noisy and skimmed very well. I had to raise the skimmer to the highest position to avoid overflowing the collection cup.

Now the skimmer is silent and I have it lowered to the lowest position in order to produce any skimmate.

I will e-mail EuroReef about this. I don't know if this is a common problem and I don't know if just the meshwheel can be replaced or if I need a whole new impeller/meshwheel unit.

Overall I have been happy with this skimmer and it is a huge improvement over my Tunze Reefpak which I have been meaning to take out into the back yard and shoot.

Hmmm, mine has been dead silent since day one.

As for the mesh, I read somewhere that they have changed it from the alloy to something else now. As you mentioned, the alloy wears out fast. You can just replace the mesh I think (usually can with meshwheels).

Without a doubt, I am sure Robbert would send you a new mesh in whatever form they are using now. I might call about that too already in advance. I checked mine the other day and it looks great but it will wear out.

trilinearmipmap
12-10-2009, 08:01 PM
I e-mailed Robert last night and he replied this morning stating he will send me a new diamond mesh wheel for $12.00, it is made out of some new material that resists the alkaline pH of salt water.

Oscar
12-16-2009, 01:35 PM
My Euro-Reef nano skimmer arrived last week. It only took 48 hours for it to break in. My skimmate is not as dark as GreenSpttedPuffer's, since I do not have much bioload, but it sure generates bubbles. After day 3 no bubbles were in the display tank.

After battling skimmers for 18 months I think I found one that works. This will allow me to increase my bioload, particularly SPS, in the New Year.

smosligu
12-25-2009, 08:36 AM
That is so nice collection.Well after finding your this comment there is no need for any book reading search of last few years.I like your idea for distributing the books by years.

saltynuts
01-16-2010, 06:21 PM
any up dates on this skimmer. i,am hunting for a good skimmer.
tank is 24x24x20 but has a veiwing area of 24x18x20
thanks for the time.

Oscar
01-16-2010, 06:34 PM
any up dates on this skimmer. i,am hunting for a good skimmer.
tank is 24x24x20 but has a veiwing area of 24x18x20
thanks for the time.

I am still very pleased with this unit. Generates lots of bubbles but none get into the tank. Excess water leaves the bottom of the skimmer not through a hose attachment like some other skimmers. In the bottom of the skimmer a 2" deep piece of high density foam was installed. This is installed to catch bubbles before they enter the display tank.

I found that the supplied sponge was too dense and quickly got plugged with detritis. So I swapped it for a less dense sponge. It still catches bubbles but does not get clogged up. I find it still worthwhile to clean during every water change.

I am still trying to find the ultimate setting for this skimmer. I still have a fairly light bioload but I still want to generate more skimmate even if it is thin.

LeeR
01-23-2010, 11:06 PM
I e-mailed Robert last night and he replied this morning stating he will send me a new diamond mesh wheel for $12.00, it is made out of some new material that resists the alkaline pH of salt water.

my mesh has pretty much disintegrated after just about 2 months
im going to e mail.. but i dont feel i should have to pay $12 to replace something that broke after 2 mounths...

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-24-2010, 05:27 PM
my mesh has pretty much disintegrated after just about 2 months
im going to e mail.. but i dont feel i should have to pay $12 to replace something that broke after 2 mounths...

I have been looking for Robberts email address but since Euro Reef is shutting down, I haven't been able to find it. I should have had it saved but I guess not.

This is Robberts new company which sells the exact Euro Reef nano skimmers as before:

http://www.nanoreefsystems.com/

But I don't think the website is very complete yet.

Let me know where you get with this because I also need to get new mesh. I know the alloy didn't last long for anyone so they were replacing it free with regular mesh but that was before Euro Reef shut down.

LeeR
01-24-2010, 06:10 PM
sent a "contact us" message on both euro-reef and nanoreefsystems.. hopefully i will hear back soon

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-25-2010, 03:43 AM
Robbert ended up calling me tonight actually to make sure I was still happy with the skimmer. Basically the new impellers are costing them a lot to buy and he is willing to sell to us at cost if your skimmer is still under warranty. Otherwise they are $37 each. Personally I don't mind paying the $12 but for sure some people will and that's fair. I bet Robbert will take care of you. Best customer service of any company in this hobby I have ever dealt with.

The website is very much under construction still and was just put up so something was there. Its not at all what the final product will be.

LeeR
01-25-2010, 04:02 AM
oh right on thats good to hear sorta.. i guess $12 isnt to bad but its still seems odd for a $200+ product to break after 2 months and have to pay to get it fixed... hopefully i will get a email soon

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-25-2010, 04:49 AM
oh right on thats good to hear sorta.. i guess $12 isnt to bad but its still seems odd for a $200+ product to break after 2 months and have to pay to get it fixed... hopefully i will get a email soon

Yeah I do agree and I still think Robbert is the kind of guy who will replace it for free if you tell him that.

I probably should ask for a free one but I do understand his position and I know from talking to him a few times now on the phone that he is a great guy and wouldn't charge for the new impellers if there wasn't a big cost to him.

We talked a lot about the skimmers and boy does he know his stuff. He is a physicist and that is obvious. He is the brains behind all the great Euro Reef skimmers. He said the company was split by himself and his son. He will do the nano skimmers and his son will do all the big skimmers. So I think his sons new company is going to be pretty good! As well as his of course. I still think this little skimmer rocks other than the impeller issue.

He found that the high PH of saltwater caused the alloy to break down. The new impeller is a different material and will not break down. He liked the alloy better though and it is cheaper than this new material so they are working on a coating to put on the alloy so they can continue using it. The new impellers will only be temporary but he assured me its just as good...just too expensive long term to put in all the skimmers.

He also had some great stories about his new puppy and the rain in California and how drivers can't deal with it :smile:

LeeR
01-25-2010, 05:19 AM
awsome sounds like a good dood. i cheacked out the nanoreefsystems webpage to. i really like that new bottem plate with the flow adjuster.

maybe me and you can save on shipping if he sends both at the same time?

haha id liek to see a caly person drive around vancouver on a day like today:mrgreen:

LeeR
01-29-2010, 04:40 AM
well my mesh wheel exploded.. sorta glad i was right by my tank when it happend because the pump jamed from the shrapnel... i guess i would hhave had a fried pump too.. i guess its back to the tunze.

LeeR
03-30-2010, 04:01 AM
anyone else have there impeller disintegrate yet?... i still dont have a replacement... can anyone give me the guys e mail? so i can get one.

thanks,
lee

Oscar
03-30-2010, 12:26 PM
anyone else have there impeller disintegrate yet?... i still dont have a replacement... can anyone give me the guys e mail? so i can get one.

thanks,
lee

Robbert and I exchanged emails a few times:
nano@euro-reef.com

LeeR
03-30-2010, 12:39 PM
awsome, thanks

Oscar
04-02-2010, 06:08 PM

thanks,
lee

Did you get a reply?

VFX
04-10-2010, 08:31 AM

thanks,
lee

Did you get a new impeller?

My impeller is holding up ok for now (fingers crossed) but if you've yet to get a new one let me know, I'll get one too & we could maybe split the shipping.

One thing about this skimmer is that I'm having to clean the sponge out every 4-5 days or else the pump will either run intermittently & not skim at all or over flow the cup within seconds, depending on slight water level changes.

A bit high maintenance but a pretty good skimmer when it's working right.

LeeR
04-10-2010, 01:26 PM
no i havnt orderd it.. im pretty ****ed about the hole thing. I asked him if the new impeller will last anylong and he just said it will last alot long... i asume the same thing will happen just after alonger period of time.

but i guess i should figure something out my tanks pretty messed up at the moment and im sure a good skimmer would help out a bit.

i think the only way you can get it for 12 is if yours is alread effed otherwise its 30+ $

Oscar
04-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Did you get a new impeller?

One thing about this skimmer is that I'm having to clean the sponge out every 4-5 days or else the pump will either run intermittently & not skim at all or over flow the cup within seconds, depending on slight water level changes.

I also got fed up with the sponge, it would quickly fill up with detritus. I just pulled the sponge out and have been running without a sponge for 2 months. Very few microbubbles in the tank. You just need to play with the "dial" on the bottom of the tube until you get the right setting.

Now i only give it a quick wipe once a month instead of a serious cleaning every week.

Oscar
12-30-2010, 03:40 PM

It is time for me to replace the mesh wheel on the two pumps. Did you receive a newer diamond mesh wheel? Did it last longer than the original?

LeeR
12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
ya, it does last longer but it wont last forever. it is still very fragile and im sure if it sucked up a bit of sand it would break it.

trilinearmipmap
12-30-2010, 04:52 PM
I have gone through two meshwheels since I got my nano skimmer in July 2009.

Around a couple of months ago I ordered 2 new meshwheels but it would be 2 weeks or so to get them delivered from the U.S. so I decided to do a foam mod to hold me over temporarily.

I got some black open-cell foam, the holes are maybe 2-3 mm size. I glued it on to the impeller where the meshwheel should go, then I trimmed it to a round disc the right size.

The foamwheel has been performing great for over two months and my two replacement impellers are sitting in a box.

I have also done a gate valve mod and the skimming is much more consistent since then.

Oscar
12-30-2010, 06:32 PM
I got some black open-cell foam, the holes are maybe 2-3 mm size. I glued it on to the impeller where the meshwheel should go, then I trimmed it to a round disc the right size.

The foamwheel has been performing great for over two months and my two replacement impellers are sitting in a box.

I have also done a gate valve mod and the skimming is much more consistent since then.

do you have any photos of your mods that you can post. Your description of the foam sounds a bit like the foam that comes with the Little Fishes reactor???

Oscar
01-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I have gone through two meshwheels since I got my nano skimmer in July 2009.

Around a couple of months ago I ordered 2 new meshwheels but it would be 2 weeks or so to get them delivered from the U.S. so I decided to do a foam mod to hold me over temporarily.

In December of 2010 the above was posted as a solution to buying the expensive diamond grid impellers. Unfortunately I have never seen a photo of the mods. has anyone else had success with this mod? Or have you found a different supplier of the diamond mesh?