PDA

View Full Version : OD'd

Gizmo
11-19-2009, 01:18 PM
oops. I was dosing Iodine about a week ago, the bottle slipped in my hands, and it looks like I might have overdone it. Test kit showed it well over the scale .1+ (seachem kit) and now I have a hair algae breakout and my anemone's aren't looking so hot. (I might add though, that the SPS are looking amazing... figures) I'd like to see from you guys if I should just wait it out and let the corals naturally soak up the excess or is there another possible way to get these levels down to .06?

BTW, no readable phosphates (phosban reactor and using RO/DI water) and nitrates are below 1ppm. (nitrate reactor w/ weekly water changes)

thx

BlueAbyss
11-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Water change time :wink:

fishytime
11-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Carbon perhaps??

untamed
11-20-2009, 12:19 AM
A week ago?!! I bet that retesting now will show that the iodine is already gone. My tank goes from .06 to undetectable in under 8 hours.

untamed
11-20-2009, 12:25 AM
I understand that those off-the-shelf dechlorinators are also effective on eliminating iodine. This makes some sense if you look at the periodic table...chlorine, bromine, iodine are all halogens.

I would only advocate use of the dechlorinator if the iodine overdose looks so severe that you are seeing immediate death occuring. The cure could be as bad as the disease.