PDA

View Full Version : what will eat this red turf algae?

One_Divided
09-05-2003, 08:00 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/limestone2/redturf01.jpg

This stuff is taking over my tank.. Hermits and snails are not quite cutting it. I have heard turbo snails and some urchins will take care of it? Has anyone else battled with this same algae?

Aquattro
09-05-2003, 10:49 PM
I bet my tangs would eat it. Bring some over and we can try it.

Jack
09-05-2003, 11:58 PM
That's my sailfin tangs favorite!

kari
09-06-2003, 01:32 AM
My purple sailfin takes care of just about any caulerpa types I have. I can't tell by the picture if its anything I've dealt with though. Is there a way to try samples with other fish or inverts in other tanks without risking spreading it on?

Brings back memories of a show on Discovery about a problem algae (some type of caulerpa I think) that is taking over the seas around France and area. Smothering everthing without a consumer. Some were speculating it was introduced from a public aquarium. Underwater filming showed nothing but a feather like caulerpa everywere.

I guess this has nothing to do with your post and I am of no help. There's my zero cents.

Quinn
09-06-2003, 04:11 AM
Caulerpa taxifolia. I think a lot of us have it in our 'fuges.

StirCrazy
09-06-2003, 05:18 AM
Tripneustes sp. did wonders on that red turf algae for me Adam.

Steve

ABreefkpr
09-06-2003, 05:30 AM
Steve are you talking about a tuxedo urchin. Are they bad for knocking down live rock? I have a pencil urchin that my wife calls the wrecking ball just for that reason. It is no longer in the reef tank.

StirCrazy
09-06-2003, 05:42 AM
nope, the tuxedo is a Mespilia globulus. I have heard that the tuxedo eats a lot of coraline weather this is bad or not who knows as tyhe one I got removes the coralin with the algae also. hasn't knocked anything much over, on the other hand the black spiny one I got by mistake has destroyed the rock in the mantis tank :eek:

this is the one I am talking about
http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=i-ucolor

Steve

One_Divided
09-07-2003, 03:07 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.. Yes it looks more like a type of thin caulerpa sp. then red turf.. My scopas tang is not touching it.

EmilyB
09-07-2003, 03:38 AM
The tuxedo urchin doesn't do any significant coraline damage in my 155g, except keep it off the glass and on the rock where it belongs..... :lol: