PDA

View Full Version : missed it

mark
11-18-2009, 10:44 PM
e-bay coral (http://cgi.ebay.com/Jason-Fox-My-Miami-Live-Chalice-Coral_W0QQitemZ110452360642QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item19b77945c2), but he does have other corals

Nebthet
11-19-2009, 05:04 AM
That seller is in the US. and if you win that item you will not be able to have it shipped to Canada without having it ceased at customs.

lastlight
11-19-2009, 05:06 AM
I hope this was a joke lol. Paying $1500 for a coral is...a little nutty!

Myka
11-19-2009, 12:10 PM

They're Americans, what can you expect? ;)

Leah
11-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Ouch!^^

Parker
11-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Cheapskate! lol

This whole hobby is a litte nutty.. We all paid HOW MUCH for a box of water? :lol:

BlueTang<3
11-19-2009, 02:55 PM
i read that saw the first picture and was like that is so expensive then read and saw that it was only a tiny piece of it i paid less for my tank lol

Chowder
11-19-2009, 03:42 PM
The first piece went for $2000.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56853

argan
11-19-2009, 04:14 PM
I wonder if anyone on here has tried to get ebay corals from the states.

I cant imagine they would seize the coral every time?

anyone sneak some past customs? where are all the criminals at?

kien
11-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Wouldn't you always want corals to pass very quickly through customs? Without the proper paper work even if it did make it through customs I would imagine that it would take a while. Coral would likely be a stinky mess by the time customs let it pass through (without the proper paperwork; assuming they even let it through).

Nebthet
11-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I have been trying to think of ways to get stuff across the border. I do know a couple of areas to get things across by bypassing the border all together though. One in Quebec and a couple in Ontario.

Unfortunately, at the border crossing now they have machines that scan your entire vehicle and let them know what you have inside so it makes it harder to try to smuggle anything.

lastlight
11-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Reminds me of the Clipperton Angel smuggling fiasco I was reading about on RC yesterday.

shrimpchips
11-19-2009, 10:21 PM
The only thing you can bring back without permits easily are softies - I brought back a powder blue anthelia from New Orleans - declared and all - they customs officer didn't seem to care at all.

I brought it back in a small bag with 100 ml of SW in it, and a metal thermos. Took it out of the thermos for inspection (xray machine) and put it back right after. Made it alive, no problems :)

Although, bringing back SPS is probably more of an issue, and you need permits. although Oceanic Corals seems to get a lot of proze pieces in from the States - maybe they can get what you want?

KPG007
11-19-2009, 10:41 PM
I posted this on another thread:

Though I haven't tried it, I have heard from many people, including an LFS in Portland (Upscales, I think. The home of the original 'Oregon Tort'), that its easy to take frags accross the border. Simply tell the border gaurd that you have live ornamental coral for your home aquarium, and 9 out of 10 times they'll let you through no problem. The 1 out of 10 times is a guard who has no idea what you're talking about, and tells you to go inside and talk to them. The guys inside can be sticklers and want to make sure the coral is on the CITIES approved list (no, they don't want to see a CITIES certificate). It can be a hassle, and on a rare occasion they might be rejected, but for the dedicated, it's easy enough to do.

Good Luck!