PDA

View Full Version : Help White worms

Aquaria
11-18-2009, 10:41 AM
hello i got a 20 gallon FW tank and am working on cycleing my first SW tank (46G bow). i noticed these white worms when i got home from work today and turned on the light. i was reading they were some kind of flatworm BUT they were free swimming non sticking on the glass or anything all swimming, i say WERE because 20 min later they were ALL gone not on the glass or anything cant see anything any more help i dont want to run a SW tank if i cant take care of a fresh water one help plz P.s. been running for 3 months got 2 giant danios, 2 rosy barbs, 2 oddesa barbs, 1 bala shark, 1 pleco, 3 swordtails, i know its over stocked but there all babys and got about 3 more months or so before i have to get a bigger tank for the pleco, bala and danios. its all under the 1 inch/ gallon rule got about 5 inches of growth left :P although my bala has doubled in size over the last month lol might need one this month or next haha

Snaz
11-18-2009, 12:04 PM
http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/planaria_white_worms/

So nothing nasty but it is a sign of over feeding which has it's own issues, especially in a reef tank. Cut back or make sure the food you give is being eaten.

ElGuappo
11-18-2009, 07:00 PM
be aware that the bala shark is going to get huge. and the pleco may aswell depending on what type it is.

BlueAbyss
11-18-2009, 07:26 PM
I remember back in the FW days when I was told that fish only grow to the size of the tank... I learned how wrong that is the hard way :lol:

I would move a few of the fish out of there (maybe a 5.5 gallon for a swordtail species tank?) and add a pair of cory cats. They will help with the uneaten food and may just eat the worms themselves.

chandigz
11-18-2009, 07:52 PM
I agree with Snaz they are a sign of over feeding.

Aquaria
11-19-2009, 03:40 AM
Thank you they look just like em i started a cleaning last night, added salt and hopfully by sat ill have a worm free tank. as for my fish i do know its to small a tank i got them as babys pleco after 3 monts is only 4inches hes a regular pleco, my bala is only 2 inchs, i am getting a 75 gallon in a month or two and am making the 20 gallon a bedroom tank prob a fancy guppy tank or somthing along those lines any advice in makeing a calm 20 gallon bedroom tank would be cool im open to all ideas