PDA

View Full Version : moving into new tank

randy123
11-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any advice for moving into a new tank. I've just upgraded, and the plan is to move 100% of the animals and LR into the new one. I'm new to the hobby (and ugrading already...scary) and don't have a whole lot of experience yet.

I am wary of increasing the bioload in the new tank too quickly, but I want to move the fish as quickly as safely possible, because they (especially my regal blue tang who lives in a cave) will be quite stressed by the rock disappearing from the tank. My poor old overstocked tank might go south rather quickly without its biofilter too.

I used seachem "stability" with great success last time, but there is much more at stake this time...

mark
11-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Would be ideal if could have the new tank setup first, then move the stuff across but not necessary. I have moved across town and set the original tank back up (after a good clean) so basically was moving into a virgin tank. Here's from then for an idea:

I moved my FOWLR 75g across town and had no problems but had the advantage of being able to have 80-90g of fresh heated SW available at the new house. Another plus, I was able to do it a few days before the house move so had lots of time. Really would have complicated things if I had to pack the couch etc at the same time.

Drained about 25g of the original tank water into 5g pails (one for fish). Put the LR into large plastic tubs, covered with tank water. Caught the fish and placed into one of the 5g pails. Was going to scoop up the top inch of the DSB to re-establish the new but decided to go BB so didn't bother. Drained and cleaned out the rest of the tank.

Once at the new place, set the tank back up, got it leveled then added the water from the pails, placed the LR, topped up with the SW I had waiting. Drained quite of bit of the water from the one pail with the fish then added water from the tank to acclimatize. Once acclimatized, added fish to tank. Topped the tank back up with the remaining mix.

Eyford01
11-18-2009, 05:27 PM
well i've transferred tanks twice now, my first was an upgrade from a 15g to 55g and basically i set up the 55 with lights heater pump added some new sand and acclimated my whole 15 with the new tank transferring water back and forth between the 2 and then just dumped in (not literally) everything from the other tank, set up the rock work then moved the fish and spprinkled my LS on top. my second one was a move across town like mark who gives a very good account of how it should work, unfortunately i was a bit more rushed and ended up losing a couple corals and my flame scallop due to having everything in 4 seperate totes for a little over a day (with heat and water movement of course) but as for the bioload issue if you are just moving all your established rock and live stock straight over there shouldn't be too much of an issue and as for the tank going south just as an idea i had all my fish in that 15g for 2 days til i got the 55 resetup with no rock or water changes and they all made it through just fine (5 small fish and 4 seahorses)

earl
11-18-2009, 05:55 PM
set up your new tank adjust your temp and salitity when they are right move everything at once there will be no ammonia spike.