PDA

View Full Version : anyone have any opinions on this light

the marine apprentice
11-18-2009, 07:35 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/T5-HO-LIGHT-REEF-HOOD-6X54W-120cm-T5HO-LIGHTING-FIXTURE_W0QQitemZ160377157498QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item255739377a
just wondering if anyone has any reviews on this light and if it is worth the money to have it shipped out here.
tks
terry

ElGuappo
11-18-2009, 07:45 AM
looks like a pretty sweet deal to me. let me know if you order as i may be in for 1 as well. worth the drive to me.

However i wonder about the plug.

Veng68
11-18-2009, 07:46 AM
I've never had these lights but, it does not look like they have individual reflectors for each lamp.

You will get more light with individual reflectors on each bulb.

just my opinion :)

Cheers,
Vic

vaporize
11-18-2009, 08:20 AM
not sure how it compares with the odyssea stuff but some of the T5HO lighting I saw at the knock-off central in toronto seems to produce very weak light comparing to the other brands, it's used for their fish system and still look pretty weak to me - almost like comparing to normal output flourscent.

I would not take the risk to buy it and get it shipped from China :) There are US based sellers that will sell knock-off lighting for maybe $30 more with some RC reviews. Most review I've seen indicate the buyers only use the 'fixture housing' and replaces the workhorse ballast with icecap 660 and better lighting tubes.

the marine apprentice
11-18-2009, 10:14 AM
looks like a pretty sweet deal to me. let me know if you order as i may be in for 1 as well. worth the drive to me.

However i wonder about the plug.

what do you mean you wonder about the plug?would it be different from our plugs here in canada? cuz if it is then a simple snip of the wires can fix that.

lastlight
11-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Based on the way the pic shows the reflection in the interior as one continuous image I think it's safe to say it's one big reflector. Based on what I've read that is a real deal-breaker.

No fans either. MAkes me wonder of the power supply is even UL rated or whatever t is that makes things "safe".

TheMikey
11-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Looks like it's just a single polished reflector, definitely not single parabolic or bent. You'd might as well by buying PC.

Slick Fork
11-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Don't waste your money.

Individual shaped reflectors and fans are the make it or break it part of ANY T-5 light. Save up and buy or build a quality fixture

StirCrazy
11-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I've seen indicate the buyers only use the 'fixture housing' and replaces the workhorse ballast with icecap 660 and better lighting tubes.

why would they replace the WH ballast when it is a superior ballast to the Icecap?

for 189.00 it is a slamming deal concidering to get individual reflectors you are looking at adding 400 bucks for the rip off prices around here.
even if you had to pull the reflector and add individual ones later if you didn't like it that would cost about 140 for 6 individual reflectors. while your modding it add a fan or two for under 50 bucks if it doesn't already have them.

Steve

StirCrazy
11-18-2009, 02:29 PM
almost like comparing to normal output flourscent.

not realy at all, more like comparing it to T5 systems that are on the market today. The hagen glow for 230.00 is a two bulb single reflector which still puts out 50% more PAR than a comparable PC system.

so depending what the needs are this system would be exelent or good, but not bad. I don't know about shipping but I have never had a problem with drop shipping.

Steve

sphelps
11-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Not worth it in my mind:

No individual reflectors and not enough space to add them later, you need 2.5" between bulbs to fit good quality individual reflectors.

Bulbs are likely worthless and will need replacing

Same deal with the ballast, most of these imports use cheap ballasts which eventually fail or periodically shut down from too much heat.

Only thing left that looks half decent is the fixture body unless it's plastic. Also poor ventilation combined with the bulbs being too close will result in lower efficiency and bulb life.

You can put together a retrofit for around the same price with better parts.

Slick Fork
11-18-2009, 06:37 PM
why would they replace the WH ballast when it is a superior ballast to the Icecap?

for 189.00 it is a slamming deal concidering to get individual reflectors you are looking at adding 400 bucks for the rip off prices around here.
even if you had to pull the reflector and add individual ones later if you didn't like it that would cost about 140 for 6 individual reflectors. while your modding it add a fan or two for under 50 bucks if it doesn't already have them.

Steve

Ok,but if you figure $109.99 for the fixture +$89 now you're $198 US, converted to Canadian is $311, now add $30 per bulb for reflectors so that's another $180 and you've spent $378 on a cheap retrofitted chinese fixture.

For $10 less he can buy a 6 bulb 48" teklight from J&L with individual reflectors and if something goes wrong with it, there's someone on the other end of the phone who's interested in making it right.

Carmen
11-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Looks like a light from "fishneedit.com". Check out their website.
I had a light from them - a 4 bulb T5HO and it is okay but certainly not anything compared to a TEK. The stock bulbs are aweful and need to be replaced. The unit is a nice looking unit but it is not of the same calibur as TEK. Nice little starter light if you cannot afford more right now but you will likely want to upgrade.

You get what you pay for.

the marine apprentice
11-18-2009, 08:25 PM
well yeah i saw that it is one solid reflector i was just curious if it was actually worth it. but if you are correct and i can get a tek 6 for the same price then i might as well go for that then

StirCrazy
11-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Ok,but if you figure $109.99 for the fixture +$89 now you're $198 US, converted to Canadian is $311, now add $30 per bulb for reflectors so that's another $180 and you've spent $378 on a cheap retrofitted chinese fixture.

For $10 less he can buy a 6 bulb 48" teklight from J&L with individual reflectors and if something goes wrong with it, there's someone on the other end of the phone who's interested in making it right.

I thought it came with bulbs?

Steve

the marine apprentice
11-18-2009, 10:18 PM
it does come with bulbs but appearantly they suck. so idunno

gobytron
11-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Remember, peoples opinions vary based on their income and personal opinions and experiences.

It's always a wash when asking if something is worth the money, because some people value money more and some less...lol

I used a crappy 4X 65 watt chinese ebay pc fixture for almost 6 months and had no complaints...
why?
because I knew it was a cheap pos to begin with and all i cared was that it worked at even a basic level for what I needed it for (which was a mostly lps but a couple sps close to the top tank) and when the ballast did go on me, I knew I had gotten what I paid for and just put in a new one and kept using it until I could afford (or found a deal) on the halides that I really wanted but didn't necessarily need right away.

lastlight
11-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Very good point. Some also aren't made of money but are also willing to save longer and buy once. Many ways to this hobby.

the marine apprentice
11-19-2009, 07:25 PM
that is a very good point and thank you. its not the money issue with buying the light i just wanted to see what everyones opinion was on it. and i totaly agree that everyone has different taste and ideas when it comes to lighting. i really want to get an 8 bulb tek light or even a 6 bulb. i have a 48in sundial on my 90 right now just want more light.