PDA

View Full Version : How much paint?

rjengen
11-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Hey guys, quick question for you all, the folks at Rona were at a loss of words. I built a stand and today I painted it with a mold / mildew resistant paint. The end plan is to cover the stand with 3/4 oak plywood and stain...Now, I am figuring on two coats of this stuff, but the folks at the paint store insist I have to paint over it, but don't really give me an explination as to why. I personally think they are trying to sell me more paint, which will sit in the garage and at some time end up at the fire house for their yearly toxic round up. The paint is Kill-ex...an indoor out door type, and while it looks ugly enough, it's going to have playwood over it...so what gives? Also, how should I treat my plywood on the inside of the stand? same stuff?

Delphinus
11-17-2009, 11:56 PM
I just painted the insides of mine. I don't know what their reasoning is, but I found that painting an oil based white paint on my stand, ie., on bare wood, even with a proper primer as a first coat, it just sucked that paint right in. So it looked good after I first put it on, but then later it would almost look like bare wood in spots. This was the plywood part though.

I'm not sure I completely follow what you're saying about plywood over top of, but if I DO understand correctly, ie. that you are talking about painting the wood that will get covered by the plywood skirting, then I don't think you need to paint those parts excessively. It will be wood against wood and not really a spot that mildew is going to grow... I think anyhow.

You're not using particle board or OSB so it's not like the wood getting wet can lead to structural problems. In this case it's mainly for mildew control which I think means just do the areas that will be left exposed after you're finished building.

nlreefguy
11-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Someone else could chime in but I have heard horror stories about the fumes from that stuff decimating tanks.... something about how it wipes out the beneficial microorganisms in your live rock and sand. Daniel Knop had a good story about it in one of his tank build journals in Coral magazine once.

rjengen
11-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Sorry, the plan is to skirt the stand with oak plywood down the road. No OSB or partical board for this guy. Once the skirt is on I will paint the inside of the stand with this stuff as well, I just don't see the point of putting an extra coat of some sort of "finishing" paint.

danny zubot
11-18-2009, 02:20 AM
I did two coats with acrylic malamean (sp) bathroom paint. I wish I would have used more coats in some areas prone to splashes though. Or I should have used an oil based paint instead. My belief is that if you think you've painted it enough, put on an extra coat just in case. Water and moisture will find its way into the least expected places. Especially in this hobby.

lastlight
11-18-2009, 02:26 AM
The inside of my stand incl the roof was done with 4 coats of white melamine. It holds water, wipes like a dream.

leducreef
11-18-2009, 03:27 AM
i am a painter for a living 8 years exp
if you want a bullet proof finish

heres what you do going with your plan
2 coats of the kilz on the framework is great
after you get the skin on do one coat of stain let dry for a day then do 1 coat of Varathane Diamond Water-Based Polyurethane with a good brush sand with 220 grit then do 1 more coat
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=70
you can buy this stuff at home depot or rona
and if you want even more i would caulk all the joins and seams on the inside with alex plus and do one more coat on the inside
if you have any more ? shoot me a pm

and also when the paint soaks in to the wood than is a good thing

leducreef
11-18-2009, 03:42 AM
this is one of the better primers that you can use
http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=29
when painting wood you must prime first then use a good top coat

dont waste your % on oil base products not only are thay hard on you and fish now days latex and waterborne products are just as good if not better.

rjengen
11-18-2009, 04:09 AM
i am a painter for a living 8 years exp
if you want a bullet proof finish
heres what you do going with your plan
2 coats of the kilz on the framework is great
after you get the skin on do one coat of stain let dry for a day then do 1 coat of Varathane Diamond Water-Based Polyurethane with a good brush sand with 220 grit then do 1 more coat
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=70
you can buy this stuff at home depot or rona
and if you want even more i would caulk all the joins and seams on the inside with alex plus and do one more coat on the inside
if you have any more ? shoot me a pm

and also when the paint soaks in to the wood than is a good thing

Kilz, that's the stuff I picked up...brain fart! Your method sounds like a sure fire way to get me going in the right direction, thanks a bunch leducreef. I will give it another coat tomorrow night and go with your suggestions.

leducreef
11-18-2009, 04:16 AM
no worries man
post some pics when its done :mrgreen: