PDA

View Full Version : Adding SPS's.....

Leah
11-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Could I add a few SPS like some caps and maybe a few Acro's the reason I am asking is I have a large Leather coral so could this be a problem for the SPS's. Tank is a 95 gal. No sump at the moment but working on it. :biggrin:
Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Leah

fishytime
11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Are you running carbon? Do so if you can and start with like you said, a monti cap or digi or a birdsnest....something that is usually less expensive and more forgiving of water conditions...

mseepman
11-17-2009, 04:26 PM
I run a sump with Carbon but I have various SPS along with a couple big leathers. My tank is smaller than your Leah...so I think you could do it. It would be best to make sure you are running the carbon in some type of reactor though so it gets good water exposure.

chris121277
11-17-2009, 04:30 PM
I have a fairly large toad stool leather in with 8 different kinds of SPS and they seem to be doing fine together....mind you I do run alot of carbon just in case.
(3 bags in a high flow area of my sump and change out one a week)

In fact the leather is brushing up against my monti cap and thats the one I seem to get the most growth out of.:biggrin:

Chris

Snappy
11-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. I run a 130 gal soft coral tank inline with my sps display as a nutrient export and in my old tank had leathers & sps together. As Doug said it's a good idea to run some carbon to be on the safe side.

gobytron
11-17-2009, 05:29 PM
I had a massive toadstool in my 95.
was tank edge to tank edge, so about 18" and there were never any ill effects suffered by my sps.
I have a sump, but do not run carbon.

There was a very negative effect on my euphyllia after one aquascape left them relatively proximal.

Wiped them all out actually, nearly 100 heads all together over several specimens.

After seeing toadstool toxicity firsthand, I decided to move it to another tank but only because I want some more aussie frogspawn and hammers..

*Side note* - EVERYONE who ever looked at my tank and wasn't familiar with the ins and outs of aquaria would not bat an eye at my yellow assessor or tri color sps but they ALL sure were impressed by my toadstool...

Probably the reason it lasted as long as it did in my system.

Leah
11-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I will try, never thought I would but the more I see some of these guy's tanks it makes me appreciate their amazing beauty.

Snappy
11-17-2009, 07:50 PM
*Side note* - EVERYONE who ever looked at my tank and wasn't familiar with the ins and outs of aquaria would not bat an eye at my yellow assessor or tri color sps but they ALL sure were impressed by my toadstool...

Probably the reason it lasted as long as it did in my system.

I have had a few people see my reef and after a pause of them not knowing what to say I hear "oh cool, you have a hermit crab!" :lol:

Kona
11-17-2009, 07:54 PM
What would be the purpose of running carbon filtration in ur tank? What would it be filtering out. And how would someone have that plumbed into a refugium sump? I have a tank full of zoa's and softies, and have a heck of a time trying to keep sps's alive in this setup. Any info would very helpful.

Aquattro
11-17-2009, 08:01 PM
What would be the purpose of running carbon filtration in ur tank? What would it be filtering out. .

Allelochemicals, released by the leathers to inhibit growth of competitive species.

gobytron
11-17-2009, 08:13 PM
slowed growth...
Not necessarily a detrimental affliction but certainly worth considering.
I only recently removed my toadstool about 2 months ago, I guess i can look forward to some accelerated growth.

Leah
11-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks Aquattro

So maybe I should get rid of the leather first?

Snappy;

I think if I saw your tank in person the last thing I would notice would be a hermit :mrgreen:

Aquattro
11-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks Aquattro

So maybe I should get rid of the leather first?

I've never kept softies, but many people report that carbon deals with the chemicals.

gobytron
11-17-2009, 08:26 PM
get rid of it or run carbon...
Carbon is pretty cheap, just make sure you get a brand that your lfs recommends for reefs...not all carbon is created equal..

You could put some in a hob filter or if you're skimmer has a place for some media...

Might be a little more tricky in a sumpless tank..
Though Im pretty sure you could rig a phosban reactor up as a hob type deal and put carbon in it.

Also, you could just keep it and accept that the growth of your other corals might be subdued, again, I had one for a long time and I still had growth in my other corals, so it didn't slow me up tot he point that I was asking wtf and my toad was HUGE...

I'll be watching now though for a difference.

lastlight
11-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Snappy;

I think if I saw your tank in person the last thing I would notice would be a hermit :mrgreen:

Confirmed. It'd be a growing wetness down the side of your leg =)

Leah
11-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Sounds fun or something?!

BlueAbyss
11-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Hmm, pocketing frags? :lol:

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-18-2009, 02:26 AM
Confirmed. It'd be a growing wetness down the side of your leg =)

Hmmm...I can think of two reasons this may happen but I don't know which one you meant. One is funny and the other is...funny too but also kind of weird :lol:

Zoaelite
11-18-2009, 04:14 AM
Hmmm...I can think of two reasons this may happen but I don't know which one you meant. One is funny and the other is...funny too but also kind of weird :lol:

:llama:

Snappy
11-18-2009, 04:27 AM
And how would someone have that plumbed into a refugium sump? Any info would very helpful.
I just use an old aqua clear filter and put a media bag filled with carbon in it. I have it hanging on my sump.

Leah
11-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Snappy that is a great idea and I have a few of those hanging around :biggrin:
How was your holiday? We have not seen any pictures yet :wink:

Snappy
11-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Snappy that is a great idea and I have a few of those hanging around :biggrin:
How was your holiday? We have not seen any pictures yet :wink:
The holiday was awesome but too short. As usual in Puerto Vallarta the weather was perfect so I did lots of diving & got lots of sun. Water temp was about 82-84F so no wet suit required which I always prefer & the visibility was generally 60'-80' depending on the dive site. We had a blast!
Thanks for asking.:biggrin:

gobytron
11-18-2009, 04:39 PM
get rid of it or run carbon...
Carbon is pretty cheap, just make sure you get a brand that your lfs recommends for reefs...not all carbon is created equal..

You could put some in a hob filter or if you're skimmer has a place for some media...

sigh...
no :cry:one ever listens to me

Leah
11-18-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm sorry Gobytron, please except my apologies :redface: missed it!

gobytron
11-18-2009, 07:30 PM
totally joking...lol
I mean, who's gonna believe guy with a 98 post count anyways right?....lol

Leah
11-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Good point, its the thought that counts and the good humor!!!