PDA

View Full Version : Well that was bad...

mark
11-16-2009, 09:52 PM
... but at least I'll be able to look at my tank now. Just was so bothered about the die off couldn't even pull out the dead stuff until now plus the algae starting wasn't making it look better.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/PB160100.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/PB160101.jpg

About 2 hours of aquascaping including about 50 lb of LR to the sump got lots of room to start again.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/PB150061.jpg

my signature would give an idea of before.

Delphinus
11-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Ohhh man, ouch, my sympathies. I know the exact feeling you're talking about, although strangely enough usually once you remove the pieces affected, you can at least start to move forward.

What happened, any ideas??

kien
11-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Yikes! What caused the die off?

lorenz0
11-16-2009, 10:13 PM
whoa, those were some nice monti's you had going for you. But ya, any idea what caused everything?

Dez
11-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Mark,

I'm so sorry. Come grab a birdsnest frag anytime (free). Not much, but that can be a part of your start. PM me if you want to take me up on the offer (gives you an excuse to come see my tank after using your tank as inspiration).

kien
11-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Oh ya, your room divider inspired mine too!! :biggrin:

Parker
11-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Sorry about your loss Mark, even though you've lost some colonies your tank is still one of my favorites.

If that happened to me that beer can would be open and empty along with a few others.

muck
11-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Sorry about your loss Mark, even though you've lost some colonies your tank is still one of my favorites.

If that happened to me that beer can would be open and empty along with a few others.
hahaha... was just going to post asking why the beer wasn't open and empty with a few crushed emptys nearby. :lol:
Sorry bout your loss Mark. Would have loved to see them in their former glory.

mark
11-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Wish I knew what happened. One of the things that worries me is thought my routine was solid so am I'm missing?

What is a little weird, is now it's cleaned up, I really do feel better when I look at it.

Lance
11-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Man That Sucks! So sorry to hear. What happened?

fishytime
11-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Ouch!....That sucks man.....although I think I may know some people that would pay top dollar for those skeletons:mrgreen: Im assuming you checked all your parameters??? No change in dosing or foods or atmospheric pressure near the tank or sudden vortexes?:biggrin:

cprowler
11-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Hey Mark, that sucks!

Unfortunately I know exactly how you feel, I have pulled out many large skeletons like yours that amounted to about 80% of all my SPS. I'm guessing it was old tank syndrome or my sand bed going bad or maybe that is the same thing.

Anyway, at least you can move on now.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Hey Mark, that sucks!

Unfortunately I know exactly how you feel, I have pulled out many large skeletons like yours that amounted to about 80% of all my SPS. I'm guessing it was old tank syndrome or my sand bed going bad or maybe that is the same thing.

Anyway, at least you can move on now.

Man that's really too bad.

Do either of you have a deep sand bed? I was reading a very long discussion on RC about them and why they often cause crashes or coral loss eventually. It gets pretty hard to keep them clean as a reef matures and fills in (hard to even see them anymore in some cases as coral grows). I don't completely understand the concept but I guess to do it right, you have to vaccum the top layer regularly so that waste does not get trapped in the deep sand bed. People likened it to a septic tank that just can't hold anymore waste and has no where to "drain".

Don't know if that's applicable here but just a thought?

Regardless, this is terrible :sad:

lastlight
11-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Sorry to see this mark. Only up from here. What's planned for all that space?

mark
11-17-2009, 02:02 AM
Whole system is BB so can't blame a sand bed.

Wife has planned for a clam to the right. I still want another go with the SPS, no sure what yet but thinking some tabling acro in the center.

JOEL
11-17-2009, 02:19 AM
Wow sorry to see that Mark. You have a great looking tank and I'm sure what
you have in mind will also look great

Coleus
11-17-2009, 02:22 AM
sorry to see your lost. I am sure your tank will look much better than before.

fishoholic
11-17-2009, 02:33 AM
That sucks, sorry to see you lost some nice pieces :sad: But at least you seem able to look on the bright side of things, and you do have a lot more room now for some new corals.