PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of building a sump for my 65 hex. Ideads needed!!

The Grizz
11-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Hey all fellow reefer's. I was sitting here in my living room looking at my 65 Hex and don't like the way I can see the hang on skimmer, intake and outtake of the canister filter.

I have seen overflow boxes that a person can get & I could use my hang on skimmer in the sump but don't really know how big a sump I would need or return pump for that matter & how I get proper filtering ( Mechanical, Bio & Chem.)

I am upgrading soon to my 155 gal Bow and moving everything from my 2 - 65 gal tanks to it. Then re-doing the 65 hex for the seahorse my wife wants so it doesn't have to have a strong flow. The return pump flow I would more then likely have near the bottom as to circulate the water.

Any idea's would help greatly. I do have a few empty tanks around that i could use, also could very easily build something custom.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

The Grizz
11-16-2009, 02:29 AM
Idea's, tip's, thing's others have tryed??

The Grizz
11-16-2009, 04:45 AM
There's got to be a great idea out there some where............................................. .

lastlight
11-16-2009, 04:49 AM
My sump is really small compared to what most with a 225 run. I also only tossed a single baffle in there...maintains water height for my skimmer. There are many ways to make a sump I'd just make sure it has enough room for whatever you want to put in it. Even if it doesn't, plumb another tank into it like I've done for my fuge. Use what you have for spare tanks...biggest one that will fit in your stand.

Not exactly any great ideas. Then again we are talking about a glass box to hold a pump and some heaters =)

The Grizz
11-16-2009, 05:04 AM
I have a 10 gal tank doing nothing, was hoping this would work just have to figure out if I can gat into the stand as it is same shape as tank. The skimmer could hang on the side just have to change the intake, I would use a small submerible return pump and a small submer's heater as well. Do you think I am on the right track.

lastlight
11-16-2009, 05:06 AM
As long as you account for water capture when the power goes out sure it'll work.

The Grizz
11-16-2009, 05:10 AM
If there is no return flow there should be no over flow form what I have read about. Do you agree.

lastlight
11-16-2009, 05:15 AM
If your return flow pipe is below the surface of the water it can siphon until siphon breaks. Also the pipes hold more water than you want them to during an outage lol. Drilling a few holes just at water's level in your pipe can solve the siphon issue (I still need to do this!) but you def need to account for the pipe's volume.

The Grizz
11-16-2009, 05:18 AM
Was thinking of using a CPR overflow. A fellow member that I know has one for sale.