PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Back Zoa Colours?

Oscar
11-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Probably 6 months ago I finally solved my hair algae problem. But one issue that has never resolved itself is that a portion of only zoa colony lost it's colour and has never come back.

This was the section that was covered by the most algae. Funny thing is, the portion of the colony that was not covered in algae is expanding with it's original colour.

Reef Central has had some discussion about dosing Vitamin C to sharpen the colours. Not sure that I want to try that.

Anyone else ever resolved this issue? If I cannot bring the colour back then that portion of the colony will be removed. I just do not have enough real estate.

Ryan
11-15-2009, 12:41 AM
My zoanthids were washed out for whatever reason but when I started using some zeovit chemicals (ZEObak, Coral Snow, Food7, and Star2). The colours came back awesome, very crisp, bold and clean.

Oscar
11-15-2009, 12:45 AM
My zoanthids were washed out for whatever reason but when I started using some zeovit chemicals (ZEObak, Coral Snow, Food7, and Star2). The colours came back awesome, very crisp, bold and clean.

Did you shift to the zeovit system or just dose the chemicals? Did you have any rics in the tank? How did the zeovit chemicals affect them?

Ryan
11-15-2009, 12:47 AM
I dont have a sump so I never used the reactor. I dont use the whole system but am dosing a few more chemicals now that I got a good deal on.

Yes I did have Rics in there and they did awesome, also got more bold colors. I had to take them out though because I went SPS and they didnt like the large amount of flow my Sure flow kits put out.

Also my LFS started dosing vodka to their coral tanks and I noticed a big difference in water clarity and colors in all their corals including their zoanthids.

Oscar
11-15-2009, 12:55 AM
I dont have a sump so I never used the reactor. I dont use the whole system but am dosing a few more chemicals now that I got a good deal on.

Yes I did have Rics in there and they did awesome, also got more bold colors. I had to take them out though because I went SPS and they didnt like the large amount of flow my Sure flow kits put out.

Also my LFS started dosing vodka to their coral tanks and I noticed a big difference in water clarity and colors in all their corals including their zoanthids.

Thanks. I will look into both methods. Vodka dosing would certainly be a lot cheaper.

Ryan
11-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Yup I am not sure about the differences but I like the ZEOvit so I havent changed. I was thinking once the BAK runs out I might start the vodka but need to do some research on what the vodka replaces in the ZEOvit system.

fkshiu
11-15-2009, 03:04 AM
I started doing vitamin C dosing this week at low levels. Too soon to notice anything yet except for increased skimmate production.

don.ald
11-15-2009, 03:31 PM
I started doing vitamin C dosing this week at low levels. Too soon to notice anything yet except for increased skimmate production.

what types of products do you use for vit. C?

Oscar
11-15-2009, 04:35 PM

Once you have something to report maybe you can start a new thread? I would like to see where this goes.

fkshiu
11-15-2009, 08:10 PM
what types of products do you use for vit. C?

I dose exactly the same bulk health food ascorbic acid as recommended in this thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1602494&page=12

With my size tank getting up to the recommended 5ppm level would require 1/2 teaspoon of that particular vitamin C powder twice a day but I've been carefully ramping up from 1/8 tsp to 1/4 tsp once per day over the last week. I'll get to the recommended dosage in another week or so. I'll start a thread then to report results.

Oscar
11-15-2009, 11:14 PM
I dose exactly the same bulk health food ascorbic acid as recommended in this thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1602494&page=12

Where did you find the appropriate vitamin C?

fkshiu
11-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Where did you find the appropriate vitamin C?

Amazon.com