PDA

View Full Version : ORP and Ozone Question

The Codfather
11-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Looking for a bit of advise on some reading that I am getting. Here is just a bit of background:
!50 gal display and 60 gal sump
3 x 250 watt metal halide (7 hr cycle)
SPS dominated
10 assorted fish, damsels, gobies ,couple of clowns, etc
BK 250 SM skimmer
I started running ozone at about 10-15 mg/l, controlled and monitored of course, and initial reading with orp were anywhere between 280 and 320, pending of course what time of day it was.
In the following weeks, orp started to rise, slowly, but usually a couple of points a day. About a week ago, it broke 400. I shut off my ozone a few days ago, and the reading do fluctuate but are still hovering around the 400 mark. I guess my questions are:
1 For those who are using ozone, what is your high limit?
2 How much ozone are you using on your system?
3 Have you noticed any problems arising for the use of ozone?
thanks,
Bob

Skimmerking
11-14-2009, 09:21 PM
hey there BOB I'm hoping that I can answer your questions so here I go. you are getting readings from the Ozone mniter you ar emaking the water very clean as you can tell from the 400 ORP. there is nothing wrong with 400 i have had mine at 480 before with no effects. However all tanks are different.
Ozone is something that you done want to have to much of. I had it running on my tank 150 gal 30 gal sump. 200mg ozone unit running about 50mg/per hr so 1/4 % on the red sea one i didnt use a controller just had it on at 50mg every 12 hours to polish and clean the water. and had no problems. Running a 50MG unit on a smaller tank shouldnt be to bad if you are running about 10-15 mg Remember that it will break down all the stuff in your tank like ammonia to Nitrites and covert it to NO2 so having said that hoping that you have something to take away the Nitrates

The only problems that i had was when the water is dirty and your MH are on you can clean the wter so much that the MH can penatrate the wter more and cause your tips to burn.

The Codfather
11-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks for your input, I am just going to dial it down to about 5-10 mg/hr and set the controller for 400. I have noticed a few things in the tank, i.e.- water clarity for one thing. I don't know if this has anything to do with the ozone, but i have also noticed that my fish are a lot more active, the clowns I have never really left the corner of the tank. Now they swim about quite freely with all the other fish. The one thing I did notice about my orp numbers, is that once it started to climb, it went up quite fast. I am going to keep it going for a couple of weeks and see how things go.

Skimmerking
11-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks for your input, I am just going to dial it down to about 5-10 mg/hr and set the controller for 400. I have noticed a few things in the tank, i.e.- water clarity for one thing. I don't know if this has anything to do with the ozone, but i have also noticed that my fish are a lot more active, the clowns I have never really left the corner of the tank. Now they swim about quite freely with all the other fish. The one thing I did notice about my orp numbers, is that once it started to climb, it went up quite fast. I am going to keep it going for a couple of weeks and see how things go.

to have it alot clearer like you said is from the Ozone the yellow is taken out and gives you a really clear look. remember you have more Oxygen in the tank now too. which is good but you dont want to much Ozone in the tnak remember if you start getting a smell from the ozone dial it down. How are you injecting the ozone in the tank skimmer. what type of skimmer are you running on the tank.
i take it that you are using the BK to bring it in if so just run it in small doses too

fencer
11-14-2009, 10:45 PM
350 to 380 mV. If it hits 400 might want to just clean your probe. Clearing of the tank is a direct result of the ozone usage. I think I had it at 50 mg/hr. This was in the sump and not the main tank. You should have carbon destructors to capture the excess ozone