PDA

View Full Version : RO membrane question?

Canadian Man
09-04-2003, 05:01 AM
Well I have had my Kent ro/di unit for about 2 year's now I guess. I recently just had to replace the DI cartride part of the unit. I replace the Prefilter and carbon every 6 months religiously.

After filling the 230 I replaced all 3 parts (prefilter,carbon, di) cartridge. The DI cartridge has allready started changing color and it's about 1/2 and inch up now. This concernes me as the origional DI cartridge lasted 2 year's before it was color changed up to the top.

What's up with this?
Is it time for a new membrane?
Is there anyting to do to the old membrane to restore it somewhat?

I have been restricting the output waste water from the membrane for the past few month's to not waste so much water. so I cut it to about 1/4 of the output and make sure I flush the membrane more often(like 2 times a week).

some insight would be helpful.

EmilyB
09-04-2003, 05:14 AM
Quite likely Jon, the RO should reject at least 95% I believe. So TDS the RO output and the tap output.

Canadian Man
09-04-2003, 05:17 AM
Okee dokee.
Anychance you can bring your TDS meter to the geek meeting? :angel:

StirCrazy
09-04-2003, 05:17 AM
almost sounds like you might have blowen a membraine, take a sample of water befor the Di and test it to see how the TDS is. you can also measure the output and see if you are making more water than it is rated for.

Steve

Canadian Man
09-04-2003, 05:19 AM
almost sounds like you might have blowen a membraine, take a sample of water befor the Di and test it to see how the TDS is. you can also measure the output and see if you are making more water than it is rated for.

Steve

I am making way less than it's rated for. As an example it's a 60gpd membrane and I had it running 9 hour's while i was at work and it made 8 gallon's of water.

StirCrazy
09-04-2003, 05:24 AM
hmm maby you plugged it up by restricting the flow. there is a tft membrain cleaning kit on the net, that might work. I would undo it all and make sure there is no blockage anywhare first though.. and quit restricting the waist flow you can do some dammage and make bad water doing that to much.

Steve

golden69_ca
09-04-2003, 05:36 AM
what color is the cartrage changing to?

the company i work for as a rule of thumb on our water purifying machines is that we clean our ro membrains once a year or if the product water tds a certain level.

EmilyB
09-04-2003, 05:43 AM
It is my understanding the color changing DI resin is not the best way to go...however that it up to the populace to research.

Yes, Jon, I will will bring the TDS. :mrgreen: Please remind me.

Skimmerking
09-04-2003, 03:03 PM
i have a question about DI cartidges
i recently bought my unit from CAVE DIVER 100 gpd RO/DI with float switch and solinoid and the DI cartidge is suppose to be what color can some one take a picture of one to shown me what it looks like so i may compare please.

thanks

MIKE :mrgreen:

Canadian Man
09-04-2003, 10:58 PM
what color is the cartrage changing to?

the company i work for as a rule of thumb on our water purifying machines is that we clean our ro membrains once a year or if the product water tds a certain level.

Well the Kent cartridges change from a green color to purple.

How do you clean your ro membranes?