PDA

View Full Version : Career Change Advice

balistidae
11-14-2009, 01:34 AM
Hey everyone, kind of a random post but I thought I would give it a go. The deal is I am Journeyman automotive tech working at a local Toyota dealership. I have been doing this for about 5yrs and I am making good money but it is definitely time for a change.
I just cant take flat rate anymore, it is an extremely difficult and stressful way to make a living. Some days you go home with 18hrs and the next day you could make 1hr. Aside from the pay structure there are no benefits or pension plans or any of the like. I would also love to get away from the stigma and questionable ethics that unfortunately go along with the automotive trade.
So my question is how do you get away from a career that you thought you would have until retirement. I can see myself in any field from IT to the environmental sector. I am willing to take some classes but I will also have to work full time as well. I've got a gross mortgage and am getting married in 6 months so full time student is not really an option.
I just need to make something happen while I am young and motivated and childless haha.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

KennyKen
11-14-2009, 01:40 AM
two words

RIG-PIG

Boomboy
11-14-2009, 01:47 AM
just make sure its ok with your wife if you have one, i did but she still gets super grumpy about it.

Snaz
11-14-2009, 02:16 AM
If your single or spouse is supportive do whatever you want. Money is not everything so if you have to take a cut to do something you like, tighten the belt and enjoy your life.

I did a career change because I was basically a robot with better dexterity doing the same 7 tasks every day. It was hard at first and I had to bounce back to Mom's for a year but now I am quite successful and I LOVE my job.

intarsiabox
11-14-2009, 02:26 AM
I was a project accountant for 8 years making really good money with a wife, kid and mortgage. I didn't like doing it anymore or traveling so I took up a millwright apprenticeship with a $60,000 paycut from what I was making doing accounting in Fort Mac. Things were lean for a couple years but are fine now. My point is that you can't go through life doing something you don't enjoy, it's not worth it. Sometimes sacrifices need to be made in the short run but you will be happier and probably healthier in the end.

If you don't know what to do the government puts on free apptitude testing and career change seminars or you could ask companies to do a job shadow for a day. It doesn't matter what you do but do something!

Binare
11-14-2009, 02:54 AM
I did what everyone told me to do out of highschool, went to university, got a degree in computer sciences. Moved out to Montreal and started my own company eventually, was great for a few years travelling all the time to new york, phoenix, san francisco etc. Like you I got bored of it. I had no life, lost all friends basically buuuut I made great money consulting so I was trapped in it for about 5 years. Moving back to Calgary I only lasted a couple months doing this. Old friends and family made me realize it wasn't all about money, my girlfriends dad at the time offered me a way out and I took it. I became an electrician taking a 80 grand a year paycut. Its been 4 years now and I don't look back, currently working on my electrical engineering as well. Computer sciences, electrician and engineering will all tie together nicely, I'm back up to a healthy liveable pay again (nowhere near my old lifestyle yet). I guess my point is if you do decide a career change, pick something that compliments what you already know. Then it becomes more of another step, another set of skills for you to add too. I'm 30 now... Is that young enough to relate to?

blainep
11-14-2009, 03:03 AM
From someone who has been in the trade for more than 20 years now, if you don't like it, get out now !

Much as life in a dealership is stressful (I've been there), it's nothing compared to life outside the dealers. The 'ethics' you refer to are slapped in your face daily by people who seem to believe the louder you yell, the better you chances at getting a deal.

From what I've seen in the past few years, people have come to believe acting like spoiled children is acceptable.

Every client that comes in gets the best work I can give them for the fairest time I can charge. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't go into a career where that was appreciated.

cuz
11-14-2009, 03:31 AM
was a chevy tech for 6 yrs and that was enough for me. loved the work but like you said everyone thinks your rippin them off or lying to them!! felt way under-appreciatted!!

StirCrazy
11-14-2009, 04:07 AM
if you can hold out for a year or two I would. that way you can catch the economy on the upswing when there will be a lot more opertunity.

I am kinda in the same boat, just retired from doing the same job for 20 years, so now I am trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life.. I kinda like what I am doing now but the wife seams to think my pension isn't enough :mrgreen:

Steve

ALBERTA REEF
11-14-2009, 04:25 AM
I know what your are going through. I have been in the trade for at least 11 years. Journeyman Automotive Service Technicain for 8 of them. I have worked in small shops and GM dealerships. The politices are the same. I have been laided off sence March. I can fine a job anywhere. I say time to get out. Find something you like with less stress. Like I am doing! I am finely out and going back to school to retrain. :biggrin:

Dez
11-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Try to go self employed in something you enjoy. I became self employed after being fired from Aquarium Illusions, I will never look back. I can't imagine working for anyone ever again.

lorenz0
11-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Its awesome how many were automotive techs and want a new career. Sadly, same boat over here. Have been working in the automotive trade for the past 4 years but i am only a second year apprentice. I started in a small shop and than moved over to mazda and this is where reality kicked in. The past year was a huge choice for me, either go back to school or keep going to get my ticket. But the trade is a money hungry trade, where all that matters is you. I finally made my choice on an airbag job that i spent 20 hours on due to improper diag from a tech. So 3 months ago i quit and went back to school and am now on route for my bachlors of science (probably geology). I was also offered a job at ford part time and took it since the pay is awesome, its not much but enough to keep me alive and this hobby lol. My boss was actually bugging me today about staying around and going full time for my license which i probably will not get.

Its the best choice i ever made and i actually smile and am a happier person

BMW Rider
11-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Just find something you enjoy doing and then figure out how to make it into a career. Sometimes its not readily apparent what that is, but when the right career presents itself, you'll know.

I too started my working life in automotive mechanics. Started as an apprentice right out of high school, got my license, and worked in the trade for eight years full time. I never intended it to be my life long career though, but I had no idea what I else would really like to do. I had many interests, but back in the early 1980s the prospects for any of them to yield an income were dismal. I got involved with the local volunteer fire department and started taking courses, getting more interested and passionate about firefighting. A couple of the volunteers were also full time firefighters with Calgary and encouraged me to apply. I eventually did, got hired and have been loving what I do for a living for nearly 20 years now.

I'm glad I have my mechanical skills and background, but I can sympathize with you not wanting to be in that field for life. Good luck with your search.

wolf_bluejay
11-14-2009, 08:49 PM
The one thing that I think that should REALLY be noticed is that nobody that took a pay cut seems to regret it. I am in this category as well.
I once was a "rig-pig" and I just couldn't do it anymore (I was starting a family). So I went back to school and finally followed what I wanted to do, computing, rather than what paid well. I make less than half of what I used to, and I don't EVER regret it.
As I've gotten older the truth of doing what you love regardless of money is true. I don't get all that great of pay -- but it's enough. The big one for me is the "other" benefits that most people miss. I work 8-4 mon-fri every day. I know what my work schedule will be years ahead of time. (really -- years). I don't ever have to do overtime, work weekends, I get lots of sick time, and get to take vacation time rather than just take the pay and keep on working.

On the other hand -- you don't have to chance quickly. There is lots of options for getting education without going to school full time. My wife works in Post secondary distance education. You can get a degree, diploma, etc by one of the many universities. (Athabasca, TRU). Many provide enough tax deductions that it cost almost zero, or even a profit after taxes. Don't quit your job to follow your dream, plan it out.
Figure out what you "want" to do, figure out if you can live on what it pays, and what you need to get the job/career. Then do it.

I went from reat money with no life. To enough money and having a life/hobbies/family/vacations etc. As many others that posted here, I haven't regretted it for a second.

Skimmerking
11-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Try to go self employed in something you enjoy. I became self employed after being fired from Aquarium Illusions, I will never look back. I can't imagine working for anyone ever again.

WOW you got fired because you knew more then the crew in the store... :lol::lol:

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I used to agree with what everyone else is saying about doing what you like over money...not any more :D

I took a $35K paycut last year to work on a project I thought was really cool rather than one that was very "typical" and something I had done before. In a normal year, I would say it was well worth it. But now this year my condo building is leaking and for my part of the repair I have a $30, 000 bill! Really could have used that money now!

I have changed careers many times although always in the "design" area.

Fine Art (painting)--Illustration--Graphic Design--Illustration--Animation--Interior Design--back to animation in January

I have found it easy to "attach" yourself to a professional in the field your interested in and then prove that you can be an asset. Its all about using your talents in a way someone will need them. Sometimes you have to convince a company or person that they can use you or even NEED you. That was the case with the interior design.

I love all design but I was very interested in interiors. So I emailed a guy from HGTV...over and over and over again. He finally said he needed to meet me cause I was so persistent. I showed him what I could do and what I can bring to his company from my past experiences. He was impressed and gave me a job for 3 months until he moved to LA. I will also be on his new show next year which is kind of cool. Get to go to SF all expenses paid for 3 months.

I try to do what I think I will enjoy but I also always make sure it pays better than what I was doing previously :razz: I learned my lesson once from taking a big paycut. I am also very motivated by money though :mrgreen:

Ian
11-16-2009, 01:10 AM
If you know what area you want to move to and it will require added education see if you can do some night school and or distance Ed. type classes. Even if you can only cut down the amount of time you have to be a full time student by doing this it may make it possible for you to make the change.
If you stili like to work on vehicles and like kids give education a thought. Money is decent and with a journeymens and an ed degree you would be a hot commodity .

Slick Fork
11-16-2009, 05:00 AM
Don't be afraid to get into something new. I'm 33 and one year into my university degree course. I'm taking it through Athabasca University part time and am very happy with their courses.

I hummed and hawed for four or five years, always too worried about the loss of income etc. until I realised that if I had just gotten off my butt in the first place, I'd be done by now. The other big point deciding point... at my age I still have at least 30 years left to work so going back to school for 4 isn't really that big a time commitment in the grand scheme of things.

Doing what you love is important, however I think the better advice would be to figure out what kind of lifestyle do you want and find a career that you will enjoy AND provide that lifestyle. I spent most of my younger years cowboying on big ranches and guiding outfits. Absolutely loved the work but it paid less than minimum wage. I couldn't afford new boots half the time let alone take my wife on a vacation. Found a job in-town that I hated but paid me enough, now I'm working towards something that I'll enjoy and pay me lots!

I think the pick what you love over money example is great if your trying to decide between enough or more than enough... but if poverty or stinking rich is one of the options.... the moneys gotta win!!

Myka
11-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Ugh...I hear you. I have been trying to figure out what to do with my life for the last 5 years at least. I still have no idea, so life continues to pass me by one day at a time, working one useless job after another.

The only thing I did enjoy was when I was working on the oil rigs. Good money, time off when you want it, and interesting work. I thought I had finally found something good there, but I got laid off this last March. Now I work the same job in the city making $50K a year less, and I can't afford to go to university. Le sigh.

Yep, I'm bitter.

impreza
11-16-2009, 05:42 PM
At least you have a job! haha

I graduated in April with a degree in Geology and finding a job has been incredibly difficult. Being declined so many times has got to be the most discouraging feeling I have ever felt haha.
Luckily, I have a full-time job that I have been employed at for the last 6 years, so I have something to hold onto until I find a job in my industry. The bad part is that I absolutely HATE my current job, every morning I wake up thinking about how much I don't want to goto work...

I did what everyone told me to do and went straight to University after high school even though I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I started off with 2 years in Computer Science, did well, but couldn't see myself having a career in CompSci. So I switched to Engineering for a year, and also found that I didn't enjoy it. So then I switched to Geology during my FOURTH year and basically had to start over. It took me four years from that point to complete my Geology degree!! It's pretty embarrassing but I spent 7 years in University haha. At least I truly like Geology, now, the hard part is to just find a job... But who knows, maybe I will do geology for a few years and find something else... haha

superduperwesman
11-16-2009, 07:42 PM
If your single or spouse is supportive do whatever you want. Money is not everything so if you have to take a cut to do something you like, tighten the belt and enjoy your life.

I did a career change because I was basically a robot with better dexterity doing the same 7 tasks every day. It was hard at first and I had to bounce back to Mom's for a year but now I am quite successful and I LOVE my job.

Prob is tightening my belt doesn't correlate with enjoying my life ahah JK

What do you do now?

muck
11-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Short term pain for long term gain. :wink:

superduperwesman
11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Lot of interesting posts in this thread.

One thing I have heard is that you don't want to switch jobs in a recession. Just something I heard from a few sources, but is the recession over... who knows? ahah

I don't know... it's a fine line. I had a job I loved but it just didn't pay the bills... well... it did but that was all it paid, and long term it'd be harder on my body. But now with my new job my body is getting soft from sitting at a desk all day? Everything has pros and cons and familiarity breads contempt. I'd personally rather suffer at work each day and have the money to fully enjoy my own time but maybe that opinion will change in a few more years. I'm all for finding a job you love but not for less money. And in a lot of cases, anything you did love you begin to hate when it become your job.

I don't know? I kinda flip back and forth on this issue?

mark
11-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Something that I wish I considered more when younger was a pension. I got on with the Public Sector and now older, sure happy I did, just wish I would have joined sooner. Whatever career you choice, there is life after work to think about.

Snappy
11-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Since you are a tech you should think about getting on the other end of the wrench and buy a Snap-On Tools franchise.
http://www1.snapon.com/franchise

Snaz
11-16-2009, 10:52 PM
What do you do now?
I was a lab monkey doing quality control and now I am an IT Administrator.

StirCrazy
11-17-2009, 12:03 AM
At least you have a job! haha

I graduated in April with a degree in Geology and finding a job has been incredibly difficult. Being declined so many times has got to be the most discouraging feeling I have ever felt haha.
Luckily, I have a full-time job that I have been employed at for the last 6 years, so I have something to hold onto until I find a job in my industry. The bad part is that I absolutely HATE my current job, every morning I wake up thinking about how much I don't want to goto work...

there were a bunch of Geologest jobs out here a month or so a go. If you willing to move you should have no problem getting a job in that field.

Steve

impreza
11-17-2009, 02:16 AM
^Geologist jobs in Kamloops? Do you recall what companies were hiring? I have no issues with moving at all since I am just starting out on my career.

Thanks!

StirCrazy
11-17-2009, 04:46 AM
^Geologist jobs in Kamloops? Do you recall what companies were hiring? I have no issues with moving at all since I am just starting out on my career.

Thanks!

I found them on monster or the gov job search. they were for kamloops area but I have a feeling it is working a ways away but not sure.. I'll see if I can find anymore

Steve

balistidae
11-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all of the responses everyone, some very good info in there. I have set up an appointment with SAIT to see what kind of options I have there with my current education/training. Wish me Luck

balistidae
12-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Well I have been to Devry and SAIT. Both places were pushing me in to a degree which is not really an option since I cant go back to school full time. All of the available night courses/online courses didnt really seem to get you too much either. So now I am more discouraged than ever. Anyone have any career ideas in which a mechanics skill set could be an asset? Thanks!!

mike31154
12-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Have you browsed through this thread? 'Free' training if you're willing to put in a few (or more) years.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58538

balistidae
12-18-2009, 02:41 AM
I don't really think I am cut out for the forces.

dsaundry
12-18-2009, 03:03 AM
Ok so your a tech at a Toyota dealer, Do you not like working on cars anymore, usually its only dealers that are on a flat rate system, except for CT. Have you ever tried private shops. A lot of them provide full benefits and are less stressfull to work for. As for the "stigma" of the auto industry. As opposed to what? The great reputation some other professions have. Name one profession that hasn't had some sort of problem or scandal. I have been a tech for 30+ years and own my own shop, all our techs have full benefits and are paid pretty well. We have an outstanding reputation that I work hard at to maintain. If you don't like working on vehicles then yeah, get out, but if you do, then look at other aspects of the industry. Not all repair shops are the same. Imo you are thinking the grass is greener but in my experience it usually isn't. There are lots of other areas in automotive you can go to if you have a passion for vehicles. Best advise is your going to have to figure out what you are really passionate about doing, and having every Tom, Dick and Harry give you suggestions may confuse you even more. A few years ago good auto techs were like hens teeth, now that the industry has slowed a bit I see a lot of young guys floating around as it is slow at some places. I guarantee you that there is a shop in your city that is busy, go talk to them and drop off a resume, or check around, ask fellow techs..yada, yada, yada. Don't let your current job jade your opinion of the industry. I will disagree with the Snap On idea as you had better be a really good salesman or you will be making a lot less money than you are now, they are hurting for dealers because a lot have gotten out of the business. Unless you can take over a very productive area you will starve.My 2 cents about that. Good luck on whatever you do.

kien
12-18-2009, 03:30 AM
Have you thought about maybe openning a fish store? :-). Maybe a frag business, perhaps get into building custom tanks? Seeing the kind of money some people are spending in these forums I would not know that we are in a recession. Plus, you seem to enjoy this hobby so why not try to make some money out of what you enjoy doing in your spare time?

burgerchow
12-18-2009, 04:13 AM
before you quit, think about if you can live with a drastic change in lifestyle. Licensed techs can make pretty good money. If you were only making a third or half of your normal wages as a tech, could you afford to keep your household going, and still have enough money for your addictions.( mine are my tanks, my motorcycles, gambling, smoking, drinking, womanizing, etc....) I've been doing the same job for 23 years now, also in automotive, but even though I'm bored of it, I can't find anything else that pays as well as I'm making.
The grass always looks greener on the other side, til you get there and find out it's just hair algae.... lol
in this economy, just stick it out, cause it's tough out there. There's lot's of people that would love to have your job. Also curious, what dealership doesn't have any benefits? Never heard of a dealership that didn't at least have extended health and dental.
Also the Snap-on franchise is a bad idea. My brother used to be a snap-on dealer and he barely managed to get out without losing too much of his investment. His friends though, who also became snap-on dealers went bankrupt, cause they got lousy routes. You just can't call on anybody. You can only service a certain area that snap-on gives you.
Actually sales of snap-on and mac tools are declining as cars are requiring such specialized tools, some dealerships like mine supply and own the tools.