PDA

View Full Version : 6 line wrasse and 4 line wrasse

shrimp
11-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I have a 160 Gallon with 200 pounds of live rock mixed reef.
I have a 6 line wrasse and would like to get a 4 line wrasse.
Does anyone have any experience keeping them together as far as, if they will or will not get a long with one another?
Maybe someone had two 6 line wrasses together or 4 line wrasses together?
Any feed back would be appreciated.

The Codfather
11-13-2009, 04:08 PM
I have kept a six and a four in the same tank, but they were added at the same time. I know sixes are particularly territorial, and tend to harass any wrasse added afterwards. Just my $0.02.
Bob

Zoaelite
11-13-2009, 04:26 PM
I stayed away from 4's & 6's altogether as I heard they could be a little aggressive towards smaller fish. Instead I went with a yellow corris wrasse who so far seems to be a pretty good addition.
Levi

kien
11-13-2009, 04:29 PM
I few years ago I had two six lines together in a 90g tank. Both were bought together. They loved each other and swam together all the time, never bothered anyone.

Fast forward to today, put a 1 sixline in my current tank first, then about a month later put a second one in. The first one quickly harassed and killed the second sixline before I could get him out :sad: He does not bother anyone else though.

whatcaneyedo
11-13-2009, 06:11 PM
I had a 6 line in my 50gal frag tank for a while. It hated every new addition that was smaller than it or similar to it. I didnt leave it alone with any fish long enough for it to kill it but it did beat up an Ocellaris clownfish, yashia goby, and yellow coris wrasse.

naesco
11-14-2009, 02:12 AM
i stayed away from 4's & 6's altogether as i heard they could be a little aggressive towards smaller fish. Instead i went with a yellow corris wrasse who so far seems to be a pretty good addition.
Levi

+1

intarsiabox
11-14-2009, 02:53 AM
I saw a McCosker Flasher wrasse for sale and it was beautiful. If you are just looking for a small wrasse the flashers usually aren't aggressive (of course any fish can turn into a nightmare though) and have great coloration. I was thinking about a 6 line as well but decided it wasn't worth the risk of having to pull my tank apart to get him.

Ricardovonfishington
11-14-2009, 03:43 PM
I stayed away from 4's & 6's altogether as I heard they could be a little aggressive towards smaller fish. Instead I went with a yellow corris wrasse who so far seems to be a pretty good addition.
Levi

I disagree Zoaelite. In my experience the 4's and 6's are rarely aggressive towards smaller fish.

No experience with the yellow corris weasse, but I don't find them particularily attractive.

Zoaelite
11-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I disagree Zoaelite. In my experience the 4's and 6's are rarely aggressive towards smaller fish.

No experience with the yellow corris weasse, but I don't find them particularily attractive.

They are not the nicest looking fish but they sure have a personality. Getting fish is like mixing random chemicals, you really never know what's going to happen. I have also seen 4 lines that are amazing with smaller fish but the larger majority of people will have problems with them. In a 160 you will have a ton of room and should be fine, why not go with a different type of wrasse though flashers are very nice looking fish.
Levi

Ricardovonfishington
11-14-2009, 04:58 PM
that makes sense. I actually have a 200. so yeah lots of room.

What do you think about adding an octopus?

Leah
11-14-2009, 05:04 PM
I had a fourline and it was MEAN to smaller, larger did not matter it was tireless and everyone was fare game. I do not think it is worth the aggravation, but I am overly cautious as ripping apart a tank is not on my top ten favorite things to do :lol:

Zoaelite
11-14-2009, 05:30 PM
that makes sense. I actually have a 200. so yeah lots of room.

What do you think about adding an octopus?

Another one of my "leave in the ocean" animals. Unless you have done a few months of research, have a tank that is a species only and that is 100% COMPLETLY SEALED you will run into problems. In a reef they will eat everything, they have very low survival rates and in general I would stay away from them.
Levi

Mr.nintendo
11-14-2009, 07:39 PM
I love my 4 line, gets along with all my fish great... it's actually my royal gramma that turned into the bully when I added him. The gramma is half the size of the 4line and it beats up on him all the time lol

naesco
11-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Problems with the lined wrasses.
1. Although there are exceptions, the six line is a bully. Creating stress and death of smaller species especially newly added ones.
2. They compete with more peaceful additions like mandarins for the same food.
3. They frequently die mostly caused by damage to the fishes mouth as a result of injuries sustained in the plastic bag as they are very active If you choose one look very very carefully at the mouth for damage.
4. In the case of 6 lines they are almost always caught by cyanide. Cyanide is squirted in the rock to stun them and other rock dwellers. The cyanide kills the coral and invertebrates and creatures that also live in the rock. Over 50% of the cyanide caught fish die immediately and another 25% die before they reach the shore. From shore to your tank many are sick and than die but a few survive. The tragedy is that by buying this fish, which is not an attractive fish anyways, we indirectly support the use of cyanide. The four line is a Hawaiian fish and is not caught by cyanide.

Mr.nintendo
11-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Not attractive? I think it's one of the nicest fish I have/ would want to buy

shrimp
11-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks everyone for your sugestions.