PDA

View Full Version : Pearly Jaw and Tailspot Blenny pictures (Room Pics)

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-12-2009, 06:12 AM
The Blenny wanted to eat some algae off the top of the rock that the jawfish has dug his cave under. The Jawfish won't bite the blenny at all or chase him away but he does show the blenny how huge his mouth is :lol:

Pretty big for such a tiny fish...now I understand how he managed to carry and then hide a nice zoa frag inside his cave! I still can't get that frag back :(

1. Hmmmmm....Something seems amiss outside my cave...

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG_7663-1.jpg

2. Who the F*** is that?!?

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG_7680-1.jpg

3. I guess I will try to eat him.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG_7635-1.jpg

wisesam
11-12-2009, 06:24 AM
They are such cool fish.
Love those pictures.

Myka
11-12-2009, 12:14 PM
:lol: Nice commentary! I love watching my little harem of Pearly's. My Kole tang enjoys dive bombing them, and the tang is still really small (like under 2").

fishoholic
11-12-2009, 01:19 PM
That's awesome, I love the pic.'s and commentary :biggrin:

GSP & Myka just wondering do your jawfish come out in the morning (when the lights are off) and dance around all over at the front of the tank? My pearly jawfish does this all the time, and I've been wondering if it's normal behaviour for that type of fish.

lastlight
11-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Oh I love that blenny. Now on my list! Great pics.

shrimpchips
11-12-2009, 07:24 PM
hah, love the commentary too. I have a shot of one of mine trying to eat a hawkfish that was a little too close.

Myka, how big is your group? I'd like to do a bunch of them when I upgrade to a 120.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-12-2009, 07:55 PM
That's awesome, I love the pic.'s and commentary :biggrin:

GSP & Myka just wondering do your jawfish come out in the morning (when the lights are off) and dance around all over at the front of the tank? My pearly jawfish does this all the time, and I've been wondering if it's normal behaviour for that type of fish.

No mine does not. He barely ever leaves his cave. Only zips out to get food and then right back. I have never seen him more than about a foot from his cave and never more than about 6" off the bottom of the tank lol

Lance
11-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Ha Ha. Great pics

ElGuappo
11-12-2009, 10:56 PM
i have a simular pic with my pearly and a rusty angel

fishoholic
11-13-2009, 12:16 AM
No mine does not. He barely ever leaves his cave. Only zips out to get food and then right back. I have never seen him more than about a foot from his cave and never more than about 6" off the bottom of the tank lol

Thanks for letting me know, I thought it was odd behaviour for this type of fish. My jawfish also has 3 different caves he has made for himself, not sure why, I guess he just likes to move around a lot. None of the other fish ever seem to bother him so I don't think it's from getting picked on or anything like that. It is funny to see him in the morning dancing around all over the front of the tank, like he's putting on a show for me or something.

Myka
11-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Myka, how big is your group? I'd like to do a bunch of them when I upgrade to a 120.

I have three. The intention was to have four, but one met an early demise. He was badly injured but something unknown, and didn't survive to tell me about it. :cry:

My jawfish don't go far from their burrows. At feeding time they will stray maybe 6-8" to grab Mysis, but that's it. They usually hover with their tails 1-2" away from the burrow entrances. Then the Kole tang dive bombs them, and their epic lightening fast reverse gear disappears them. :lol: The Kole tang gets a kick out of harassing them. I can always tell when they are hungry because they will poke out of their burrows further, like 2-3" instead. They are really entertaining.

shrimpchips
11-13-2009, 04:50 AM
maybe it's the lack of big fish in my reef, but mine usually like to hang out at least 6 - 8" into the water column, sometimes even taking pellets from the surface (16" above the top of the substrate). Although they are fond of just sticking their heads out of their burrows and looking at everything though.

My favorite behavior of theirs is watching them cover up their burrows for the night and open up again in the morning.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-13-2009, 05:18 AM
maybe it's the lack of big fish in my reef, but mine usually like to hang out at least 6 - 8" into the water column, sometimes even taking pellets from the surface (16" above the top of the substrate). Although they are fond of just sticking their heads out of their burrows and looking at everything though.

My favorite behavior of theirs is watching them cover up their burrows for the night and open up again in the morning.

Mine has a small opening the his burrow and every night when he goes inside, he covers the opening with an old hermit shell. In the morning he pushes it back out. Its really cool. The first time I saw it though, I thought his burrow had collapsed! I moved the hermit shell and he freaked out!

I have had so many large fish over the years but not many have had the personality and character that this jawfish has. I can watch him for hours!

I'm really enjoying the small fish.

shrimpchips
11-13-2009, 05:30 PM
yeah, they have a lot of personality. When I upgrade I'd like to have a whole bunch. I've seen a few pictures of mated pairs hanging out together in their hole and it's super cute. Hopefully I can get some of that action going on - I think I have two males right now :P

Mine like to cover up with a few pieces of rock rubble I've supplied them with. They carefully arrange them every night, and in the morning they arrange them around their hole. If you move one of the pieces during the day, they'll go looking for it and bring it back, then stare at me as if saying "WTF did you do that for?"

Here's one of my little guys trying to eat a hawkfish:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll255/ashikatani/Reef%20tank/Igonnaeatyou.jpg

Jan
11-13-2009, 07:02 PM
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/Jan_073/IMG_2081.jpg

My guy with his friends..citron goby,neon goby and geometric hawkfish.Yesterday I placed a half cup of crushed coral at the end of the 12 gal tank and he moved it in one day.I keep giving him new building materials and he keeps on adding to his burrow.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Picked up a pair of Purple Firefish on the weekend. Very beautiful fish. Not timid at all, ate right away. Great fish.

One of them (cell phone picture, quality may not be great):

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG00071-20091116-1655.jpg

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-17-2009, 12:05 AM
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/Jan_073/IMG_2081.jpg

My guy with his friends..citron goby,neon goby and geometric hawkfish.Yesterday I placed a half cup of crushed coral at the end of the 12 gal tank and he moved it in one day.I keep giving him new building materials and he keeps on adding to his burrow.

Nice looking fish you have! I love that hawk! How is he with the other fish? I guess all hawks are known jumpers?

Jan
11-17-2009, 02:24 AM
So far..he's still pretty shy...doesn't bother the other fish...they say it is more related to an anthias than a hawkfish.

http://www.petsolutions.com/Geometric-Pygmy-HawkPerchlet+I130550L+C16229.aspx

fishoholic
11-17-2009, 02:40 AM
Nice looking fish you have! I love that hawk! How is he with the other fish? I guess all hawks are known jumpers?

I have a geometric pygmy hawk as well. I never knew hawkfish were considered jumpers, the ones I've had never showed any signs of wanting to jump. My geo hawk is very shy, he hid in my tank for 2 months before I saw him again after I first got him. Now he stays hidden about 90% of the time but at least I usually see him a few times a week for a few minutes each time.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-17-2009, 05:18 AM
I have a geometric pygmy hawk as well. I never knew hawkfish were considered jumpers, the ones I've had never showed any signs of wanting to jump. My geo hawk is very shy, he hid in my tank for 2 months before I saw him again after I first got him. Now he stays hidden about 90% of the time but at least I usually see him a few times a week for a few minutes each time.

In my experience they have been and I hear that all the time but it would depend on the species I guess?

I don't know too much about hawks. Only had 2 and both actually jumped :(

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Some nighttime pictures with the lights out (with flash).

Tailspot Blenny...he should be sleeping!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG_7773.jpg

Pom Pom Crab...Never see him much in the day other than feeding time but every night he explores the tank.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG_7765.jpg

lastlight
11-17-2009, 07:27 PM
How do you focus if the room and tank are not lit? Does your camera have the little light that assists with focusing?

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-17-2009, 07:34 PM
How do you focus if the room and tank are not lit? Does your camera have the little light that assists with focusing?

Yes it does. Takes a long time to get focused when its dark. I just take a lot of pictures and then a few usually turn out nice. I have a few more that look pretty good that I will post later.

Delphinus
11-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Wow, those pictures worked out not too bad considering it's with flash (when I try with flash, the colours are hugely washed out).

One thing you might want to consider as a nifty little DIY project one day, is a lens ring flash (eliminates the shadow since the light source is also the viewpoint).

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Wow, those pictures worked out not too bad considering it's with flash (when I try with flash, the colours are hugely washed out).

One thing you might want to consider as a nifty little DIY project one day, is a lens ring flash (eliminates the shadow since the light source is also the viewpoint).

Cool I will look into that. I do like to take pics with the lights out so that would come in handy.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-18-2009, 04:37 PM
This is as close to a full tank shot as I am going to take right now (until the tank starts to grow in)! I wanted to post a shot of where the tank is and how it works with the room. The stand is coming up a little bit orange I think but its a nice bright red. There are going to be some professional pictures taken of our place in the new year, so I will post those :)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG_7789.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG_7785.jpg

lastlight
11-18-2009, 04:47 PM
How on earth did you get that massive piece of art up there? Is it your work? Room's lookin' tight =)

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-18-2009, 04:55 PM
How on earth did you get that massive piece of art up there? Is it your work? Room's lookin' tight =)

Yes it is my art. The canvas is super lightweight and I build them on site (not that I have done a lot but I have sold a few similar sized) and then I guess the owner has to get them out later somehow. It ain't fitting through many doors.

This one is to hide the ugly murphy bed when its not being used. The art just slides to the side when the bed comes down. Take a few seconds. Actually someone commented on how that would be annoying to do everynight until I showed them how easy it was. I also explained how having a murphy bed means NEVER having to make the bed :wink:

Thanks, the room was my first crack at interior design with a budget. Got me my initial job (along with my usual design portfolio) into that industry which can be pretty tough to get into if you haven't gone to school for it.

lastlight
11-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Oh one of those flip up beds. Isn't every condo at least one bedroom though? What made you decide to do it this way?

I'm sure the Solana lights aren't the best as far as reflectors go but it'd tie in nicely with your big extender light thingie...

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Oh one of those flip up beds. Isn't every condo at least one bedroom though? What made you decide to do it this way?

I'm sure the Solana lights aren't the best as far as reflectors go but it'd tie in nicely with your big extender light thingie...

No, there are studio condos like ours. We went with it because it had a bigger living space than anything else we saw. Basically its a similar square footage to a one bedroom but without the bedroom, so we get a big livingroom. Most of the condos we looked at would never fit such a large sectional and what you can't see in the photos is that there is even a 6' daybed in that room. It's quite a large room for a Vancouver condo. Feels more like a house livingroom to me than a condo livingroom (other than the industrial style). We figured it would be nice just to have one big room over a few tiny ones. It's also a king sized bed that is really not possible in most condos.

Then on top of that, our building is about $650/sq. foot :neutral: The 2 bedroom unit we really wanted to buy was $1.6 million...:eek:

lastlight
11-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Yeah nuff said. Forgot for a moment exactly where you are but I've walked down there. Concrete and glass...SEXY. Must be nice not having to worry about your floor's structural integrity when planning a tank.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah nuff said. Forgot for a moment exactly where you are but I've walked down there. Concrete and glass...SEXY. Must be nice not having to worry about your floor's structural integrity when planning a tank.

I actually had an engineer come (paranoid) to check out the place before I set up the 200G...he laughed when he got here and said I had wasted my money :lol: He had the building plans as well.

He told us, on the record, he can't give us a number (tank size), but off the record, he wouldn't worry about anything under 5000-6000 lbs. So up to about 500G.

Our strata doesn't have a bylaw for aquariums, just how many fish you have :crazy: but I wasn't going to push it. They recently changed it to one aquarium only but still left out size. Apparently now you can have as many fish as you like but in any sized tank.

I would hate to have water leaking down into the Falafel house downstairs at lunch time! I think I would pack up and just leave. Although I had about 50G of RO water on my floor the other night/morning and I have to say, it pools up very nicely and only took about 20 minutes to clean up and maybe an hour to dry with no fans. Polished concrete floors are nice!

EDIT: Oh have you been by the building before?

It's this one:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/1412exterior.jpg

lastlight
11-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Aren't they all the new ones recently built along the water near Stanley Park I think?

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Aren't they all the new ones recently built along the water near Stanley Park I think?

No actually but I know which ones your talking about. Those are even nicer! And probably more expensive.

I am at Broadway and Cambie, so just across the bridge from BC Place and false creek. It used to be just a pretty quiet area but they have really developed it the past few years. Added Home Depot, Best Buy, Winners, Canadian Tire, Save On foods, 2 different starbucks a block apart of course and a bunch of small shops, so its really busy now. It's nice to have all these places across the street sometimes but other times I hate it. When your plumbing a tank, HD across the street comes in handy--but most of the employees also know me by name now...kinda weird.

Oh and the new Skytrain/subway to downtown is just on the corner too...so even busier now. I suppose it's upped the value of our place though. Hope so cause the building is leaking and we owe a bunch of money for our share...even though we don't technically have a "roof", just a neighbors floor :wink:

muck
11-19-2009, 12:10 AM
I don't see any pheasant balls...

lastlight
11-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Justin's a REAL designer. Those types laugh at the fake kind (us web/graphic guys). Rather than toss balls everywhere these guys paint MURALS and stuff in their homes (which I'm a fan of)

prodogg02
11-19-2009, 04:24 AM
is that type of blenny hard to keep i seem to have bad luck with blennys for some reson i just got my 2nd bicolor and again 3 days later hes no where to be found he just vanished 3 days ago and no sign since

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-19-2009, 05:28 AM
Justin's a REAL designer. Those types laugh at the fake kind (us web/graphic guys). Rather than toss balls everywhere these guys paint MURALS and stuff in their homes (which I'm a fan of)

LOL...Fake kind? I know your joking....design is design. It's all real.

is that type of blenny hard to keep i seem to have bad luck with blennys for some reson i just got my 2nd bicolor and again 3 days later hes no where to be found he just vanished 3 days ago and no sign since

My tailspot has been easy. He doesn't eat anything but algae off the rocks but so far that has kept him really fat. Actually he is the fattest fish in the tank. He is getting quite active and is not shy anymore. Took a good week until he would come out when I was around and then another week or so before he would go near the front of the tank. Now he is all over.

Maybe I am just lucky though.

lastlight
11-19-2009, 05:41 AM
LOL...Fake kind? I know your joking....design is design. It's all real.

Oh yeah totally joking =) I have a buddy who went to the University of Lethbridge and I always bug him about being a REAL designer.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Oh yeah totally joking =) I have a buddy who went to the University of Lethbridge and I always bug him about being a REAL designer.

You know whats funny, I never went to school for any kind of design. I went for fine arts and then classical animation. I guess both obviously have design in them but in a totally different way than design programs. I have learned by begging for jobs over the years. Started as a graphic designer actually. What I have found is that you just have to start somewhere in the art world and then you can really move around and expand a lot without schooling. No one cares where you went to school or for what if you can do the job...in my experience anyways.

My goal in life is to try as many different design jobs as possible. Just got through with interior design...not sure I will ever go back to that one :neutral:

The one thing I always go back to when I need a steady job is animation. Plus its nice to work from home :D

lastlight
11-19-2009, 06:06 AM
Yeah working from home doesn't hurt the ole post count either :mrgreen:

There's gotta be a growing number of members here that WISH I didn't work from home lol.

JDigital
11-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Yeah working from home doesn't hurt the ole post count either :mrgreen:

There's gotta be a growing number of members here that WISH I didn't work from home lol.

I'm positive I've seen posts from you at every single hour of 24hr clock...:lol:

lastlight
11-19-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm a nightowl for sure! If my wife would listen to me maybe I'd spare you guys.

Once I have some fish and corals I'll be MIA =) Nose pressed to glass.

JDigital
11-19-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm a nightowl for sure! If my wife would listen to me maybe I'd spare you guys.

Once I have some fish and corals I'll be MIA =) Nose pressed to glass.

Or just sit in front with a laptop and keep us posted minute by minute of the events of your tank in your thread. :mrgreen::typing:

EDIT: now that I've de-railed the thread... I will most definitely be adding a jawfish to my 105G... Pearly or Bluespot, I haven't decided yet. Thread back on track.

lastlight
11-19-2009, 09:27 PM
You just re-railed a de-rail. Impressive.

If I can devise a damn near invisible cover for my tank with some transparent, stretched netting I may on day try one out as well.

Delphinus
11-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Have you seen Gary M's tank? He has something like that. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15804521&postcount=754

lastlight
11-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah that's exactly what I'd look into making. I'd want it to somehow nest inside my eurobrace so it sits flush and the screen material taught.

Always loved both incarnations of his tank. He's got an eye for aquascaping and his photos are incredible.