PDA

View Full Version : ok not impressed

Skimmerking
11-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Bubble algae man its like that its double every second that i look at it. other then foxfaces emeralds are ok arent they. my sail fin was picking at it. Bu.t now isn't touching it anymore what a jack
I have a kole tang
sailfin
baby orange shoulder tang.

o.c.d.
11-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Diadema, Mithraculus and Pitho spp. crabs, Ercolania seaslug. I'm sure you know that when the bubble burst it releases thousands of new baby bubbles. I haven't used anything from the list above which also includes surgeonfish and rabbitfish. Myself I battle for awhile then after more nutrient control they stopped producing. I also stopped caring because everyone who knows nothing about reefing would say "whoa that's neat it looks like a shiny marble" Ya looks cool ay, that's Valonia difficult to grow, wana buy some? :bounce:

Myka
11-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Valonia is the bane of my existence. If I figure out a cure I will let you know. :neutral:

I can say that my Kole Tang and two Emerald Crabs do nothing to help the Valonia. Neither did manual pruning.

Adding Zeovit Sponge Power to the tank seemed to help, but far from a cure. Many people recommend urchins.

Skimmerking
11-12-2009, 01:29 AM
thanks Mindy i know that you had a battle with it before and still battling it . When i had my 120 gal going before heading out to Afghanistan i had it under control with the foxface. Then i got rid of the foxface and it was all gone, I got back and moved to the 150 gal after I got home some of the bubbles were there and i didnt really care. Once I bought that Sailfin he was picking somewhat at it. But now

Lance
11-12-2009, 02:14 AM
Mike, I'm convinced the only way to keep Valonia in check is to manually remove it while siphoning. Every water change I take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull them off right in front of the siphon hose. I can't rid of them all, but at least I keep them in check.

Skimmerking
11-12-2009, 02:35 AM
im too lazy for that Lance look who u are dealing with here ...... ok may be not needle nose eh .... urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i hate this hobby

bvlester
11-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Ok here is a plan of attack take rock out of tank one at a time remove bubbles. ff they break or not take a suringe of boiling water and spay the area the bubble was on. This way it will not come back on that area of rock you only loss the area of rock that you spray with the boiling water. Look at it this way you will be sure that you got it and it bactieria and coriline algea will come back. I do this for a number of things. Atapsia, halmeadia algea atleast some of it the stuff that is like disks is alright, but the stuff that is like thick hair grows way to fast and realy thick.

Bill

Ian
11-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Yup I too have been fighting this battle...and at best am staying about even....well in the visible areas of my tank....have my nutrient loads as low as they have ever been but the bubbles keep appearing and I keep manualy removing. Continue the search for a cure.

fishoholic
11-12-2009, 02:19 PM
So far I've been lucky in the fact that one of my fish have always eaten it. Before it was my naso tang, you could actually drop some bubble algae into the tank and he would race up to eat it. When the tanks were left empty for awhile I noticed that the bubble algae started to make a come back. Not sure which fish of mine is eating it now, but after I restocked my reef tank I haven't noticed any more bubble algae. So I guess one of my fish is keeping it under control.

oilfieldsafety
11-12-2009, 02:58 PM
I was losing the war on Valonia and then I picked up an Indian Ocean Sailfin Tang and it is now in check. Of course there is still some in nooks and crannies that he can't get at but at least my tank no longer looks like the LR is wrapped in green bubble wrap.

BC564
11-12-2009, 03:38 PM
I had it bad when I first started up a few years ago.....put in a few Emerald crabs and they cleared it up in 2 days......I was amazed...

danny zubot
11-12-2009, 03:46 PM
I can't say for sure that urchins will solve your problem, but I can say that I've had no bubble algea since I got my tuxedo urchin a couple of years ago. Coincidence? Maybe, but my tank has been through some pretty nasty GHA blooms, with no sign of the dreaded bubbles. Good luck with it!