PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Aquariums

UnderWorldAquatics
09-03-2003, 01:44 AM
If this needs to be moved to another forum, feel free to do so. I have the opportunity to build a few small cylinder aquariums, they will be 24" in diameter, Im not sure if I should make them 24" tall or 32" tall. I think that most reefers would like them to be 24" tall for lighting requirements to keep corals, but they would look more impressive if they were 32" tall. Now comes the question, do you think any reefers would actually be willing to buy something like this? Or would they be more geared towards non reefers, just for a showy display. They would be 47gallons at 24" tall and 62gallons at 32" tall. They would have centered 4" black cylinder acrylic overflows that would have overflow, return, and electrical for the canopy all enclosed and out of sight. I think they would make great reef tanks but Im asking for your opinions, would reefers want these???

Quinn
09-03-2003, 02:03 AM
I think that would be a really slick species tank. An anemone, maybe a seagrass or caulerpa tank. My only concern would be distortion due to the curvature.

Aquattro
09-03-2003, 02:09 AM
Kyle, I think it would be really nice to have something like that with one large cap in it. The big problem I see here is the cost. I can imagine that 24" OD tubing is kinda pricey!

Delphinus
09-03-2003, 01:56 PM
I'm with Quinn, I think that would make a particularly slick species tank for something. Seahorses ... maybe upsidedown jellies .... I dunno. Probably lots of things! But I'm also with Brad in that I'm afraid to ask what it's gonna cost.

pluff
09-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Here is a great site for cylinder tanks....Actually DREAM TANKS :)

http://www.livingcolor.com/home.cfm

UnderWorldAquatics
09-03-2003, 07:06 PM
Yeah cylinders are pricey no doubt... The cylinder in the pics of the canreef photo gallery is well over $50,000.00 so yeah not too cheap!
These ones would be much more affordable though, I would guess that I would charge about $4500.00-$6000.00 depending depending on the options and the stand and canopy for a complete turn key aquarium with sump, pumps, lighting, skimmer, center overflow. For just the bare tank with black acrylic tube overflow, bottom, and top with cutouts and lids I would ask around $2000.00 for a 24" tall cylinder. Not cheap but very very nice!!!

Delphinus
09-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Wow, it'd be an absolute tragedy then if you scratch the acrylic at $50000.

How do you keep the surface so sparkly clean? Is there a curved cleaning magnet or something like that?

Aquattro
09-03-2003, 07:20 PM
For just the bare tank with black acrylic tube overflow, bottom, and top with cutouts and lids I would ask around $2000.00 for a 24" tall cylinder.

Yup, that's gonna happen never!!!

UnderWorldAquatics
09-03-2003, 08:15 PM
yeah thats the answer I thought most reefers would have. I did some number crunching and would be able to sell them for about $1500 that would leave me with less than 10% profit margin, thats sad. Not really worth the time and effort. Oh well Im still gona make 3 or 4 of them and market them to the rich and frivilous.

I use "algae free" magnets with a couple extra layers of acrylic cleaning pad on the inside half of the magnet to follow the contour of the tank.

Aquattro
09-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Well, I'm going to keep a lookout for cheap 24" tube, and maybe someday I'll build one of these. Then I'll put my orange cap in it!!

StirCrazy
09-04-2003, 05:08 AM
at 32.00/gal I think you will only attract the rich and senceless reefers

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
09-04-2003, 04:10 PM
I have a feeling that I wont attract any reefers, the majority of reefers seem to be the working man or woman that has bills to pay and more bills to pay. The typical client of mine has little to no knowledge of aquariums or their inhabitants, and silly amounts of money to throw around. They see something nice and say, "Ill take one please, can I have it tomorrow, and can you feed the fishies and thingies? Its a different mentality, they appreciate the beauty, but dont care to know how it all works. There are "reefers" with money, but the majority try to keep things a little less than ridiculous. Well from the comments Ive heard, Ill be building them geared towards the showy side of things at 32" tall.

Son Of Skyline
09-04-2003, 10:42 PM
That makes more sense. Good luck with the project! Seriously, if I was filthy rich I'd buy one and hire someone to clean and feed it every day. A crazy nice house or business just wouldn't be the same with a plain old rectangle fish tank. Personally though, I like the half cylinder style better. You could actually make a reef out of it.

I have a feeling that I wont attract any reefers, the majority of reefers seem to be the working man or woman that has bills to pay and more bills to pay. The typical client of mine has little to no knowledge of aquariums or their inhabitants, and silly amounts of money to throw around. They see something nice and say, "Ill take one please, can I have it tomorrow, and can you feed the fishies and thingies? Its a different mentality, they appreciate the beauty, but dont care to know how it all works. There are "reefers" with money, but the majority try to keep things a little less than ridiculous. Well from the comments Ive heard, Ill be building them geared towards the showy side of things at 32" tall.

Samw
09-04-2003, 10:52 PM
I like cubes. I'd like to have a cube in each room. If I was rich, I'd use the cylinders to join the cubes together. Each cylinder would go through the wall to the next room.

stephane
09-05-2003, 05:39 AM
they are very beautifull

the biggest problem with round tank are cleaning cause no magnet or blade will do it

distortion are another ting also

UnderWorldAquatics
09-05-2003, 05:43 AM
l use algae free cleaning magnets like the great white with extra acrylic safe pads on the inside

stephane
09-05-2003, 01:02 PM
yea but the magnet is flat and the tank is round so the contact between the pad and te tank is reduce a lot. I have heard they are a pain to clean but never try it

kuatto
09-05-2003, 01:45 PM
Is it the cylinder that makes the whole idea very exspensive?,because i have dual archways entering into one of my dens and would love to put a cylinder tank in each of the pillars,but sounds like just too much money. :cry: well,i still like your idea,good luck.

Skimmerking
09-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Holy heck MARcel i thought you were dead. :smilecol:

UnderWorldAquatics
09-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Yes the magnet is flat and the tank is curved but when you stack a whole bunch of acrylic cleaning pads on the inside magnet they follow the curve of the tank, the magnets are very strong so they clean very very well, they are actually hard to move because they are so strong.

yes it is because of the cylindrical tube that the tanks are so expensive, each tube comes out of a huge tool mold thats about 12" long, they are cast cell acrylic, and very expensive. I woyuld guess that the high cost is a result of trying to recover monies fromthe very very expensive mold that are used to make the tube.