PDA

View Full Version : Two Dead Emerald Crabs in Two Days...

Eb0la11
11-11-2009, 07:47 PM
So yesterday I wake up and find one emerald crab on his back dead at the bottom of my tank. I take him out and wonder what could have caused this.

Then today, same thing with my 2nd emerald crab. Both have been in the tank for probably 3 weeks doing ok until now.

I have heard clicking sounds in the tank... Do you guys think theres very little doubt a mantis did this? Both crab's show almost no signs of being attacked. They look in tact. I dont think this is their molt either as its not a thin empty shell, its the whole crab...

What do you guys think I should do? I have about 15 rocks in my tank. I think I could narrow down the mantis' home to maybe 4-5 of them though if that is indeed what I have.

Eb0la11
11-11-2009, 09:02 PM
The thing that boggles my mind is that both emerald crabs were intact when found dead. If I do have a mantis though, this would be his first ever strikes so perhaps hes still just quite small. Again though, I am not sure we have a mantis.

Eb0la11
11-11-2009, 09:20 PM
I was thinking of fresh water dipping the 2-3 rocks I most suspect him to be housing, do you guys like this idea? One of the rocks has a few zoas on it, but thats about it. Thoughts? I might be doing this in about 30 mins here, so stop me if this is a bad idea please.

Binare
11-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Sounds like your 2 emeralds molted to me. No chance of that? Have a good look around for em.

Eb0la11
11-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Nawww its not molting, 99% sure. Molt is "empty" and flops around with the current. These guys are solid and still have hairs on their legs etc... Theyre dead.

Eb0la11
11-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Another clue to the mystery, my 4 blue legged hermits are still motoring around no problem. Do mantis go after these guys often? Who's had experience with mantis. We have the definitive clicking noise every day pretty much and just not starting to see signs.

We dipped the two rocks we suspected him in and nothing came out. Under one of them was a place for a great den and it had plenty of shells dragged around its opening - 5-6 total Id say. Anyone have thoughts on this? Is that typical mantis behavior?

Binare
11-12-2009, 12:42 AM
Nawww its not molting, 99% sure. Molt is "empty" and flops around with the current. These guys are solid and still have hairs on their legs etc... Theyre dead.

Ok cool just thought I'd throw it out there :p I remember the first time my emerald molted, the molt was hairy and solid, I took it apart with chopsticks and was still convinced it was dead. Was the hairy legs and what looked like "white meat" inside it. After flushing it, I checked the tank and there the little bugger was. Still throws me off actually. Emeralds molt is like not shrimp, its tough (the shell) and the legs have always been hairy, even the eye caps make it appear like the crab himself.

kien
11-12-2009, 12:52 AM
When my porcelain crab molts it looks like that, a whole crab upside down on the sandbed, completely intact! Like a perfect clone. It's kind of freaky actually.. None the less, there he is hanging out in his anemone.

Eb0la11
11-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Hmmm, I still am not convinced its molt but I will indeed give a harder look and report back haha.

don.ald
11-12-2009, 01:44 PM
when a mantis takes out a crab there is not much left to pick out of the tank!
at least not a whole crab. you still have the hermits as well. so it may not be a mantis.

BC564
11-12-2009, 03:46 PM
being that the crabs are intact it sounds like a molt.... but what do I know?

untamed
11-12-2009, 04:42 PM
If those crabs are actually dead, then it most certainly was NOT a mantis. I've seen mantis attack crabs and what is leftover is not intact in any way.

Eb0la11
11-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Hmmmm, thanks guys, seems so weird for their to consistently be clicking noises coming from the tank and then this and not to be a mantis but yeah, some clues suggest there is one and others suggest there is not, so I guess Im back at square one lol

KPG007
11-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Well, you guys solved my mystery. I bought an emerald crab about a month a go, and found it dead (or so I thought) last week. A couple days ago I see ANOTHER emerald crab truckin' around in the tank! I only bought one, so I thought it might be a hitchhiker.
When Crabs and shimp molt, they tend to hide for a few days after as their shell is still soft and they are vulnerable to attack. Wait a few more days and keep your eyes open. If they molted, they'll turn up soon.

Kelly

Leah
11-13-2009, 01:47 PM
I had trouble with emeralds as well, one did great for a while so tried adding a second which did not last then the first one dissapeared so I gave up on them.

Eb0la11
11-17-2009, 03:59 AM
So one of the little buggers turned up today, bigger and more bad ass than ever. Im happy.

I simply cannot believe that what I found was molt. It looked EXACTLY like a full crab. Sweeet!