PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Advice

plutoniumJoe
11-11-2009, 03:25 PM
I am at a crossroads and I just want to make sure I proceed the most efficient way. My stand is done and I could move it in now but there is a drain issue that I want to think more about.

When I was removing my old sub floor I uncovered what looks like a drain or a clean-out.
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu72/jgalat/drain.jpg

I removed some of the concrete that was covering parts of the lip. At this point I am thinking it was plumbed when the foundation was poured for the possibility of a wet bar or sink and not a clean out. It would be the perfect spot for an emergency drain so that if I ever did overflow or have a disaster the water would simply go down the drain right under the tank. I am pretty certain that its pipe leads out under the wall to the garage where there is an existing function drain that I will use to drain my RO/DI water and do my water changes to. The grey rectangle show the drain direction to the wall.
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu72/jgalat/pipe.jpg

The plug or cap is surrounded by hemp or whatever they used in 61 and poured lead. If I open this up am I looking for trouble or would an emergency drain be worth it?

Joe.

bvlester
11-11-2009, 03:57 PM
It could be for a toilet I would have a plumber take a look at it and have them make a educated guess at what it is you could be opening a can of worms. If you could get a copy of the blue prints that would tell you city hall may have them as they would have needed a set no hand when the house was built.

Bill

new but handy
11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
An emergency drain is defenitly worth it. If it has a P-trap I would use it. if it doesn't have one I would hammer out the slab and install one.

landshark
11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Opening that may give you sewer gas coming up unless there is a trapp.

new but handy
11-11-2009, 05:27 PM
thats what I said

plutoniumJoe
11-11-2009, 05:55 PM
I have to say I like the spirit of adventure. If it doesn't have a P trap I will plug it until I can get a P trap in.

The Codfather
11-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Hope our conversation helped. Let me know how it goes.
Bob

plutoniumJoe
11-13-2009, 02:57 AM
Hope our conversation helped. Let me know how it goes.
Bob

Bob,
Thank you for all the advice, you were patient and informative... and most of all right. The P trap was essential 90% away from where I thought the pipe was running, so inside the wall like you suggested. It was a b@*'~ to get the cap off as I couldn't grab it with anything because the whole thing was a couple of inches below grade. Eventually got it to spin by driving it with a screw driver into the brass.

So now I have an emergency drain that may save my basement and my marriage one day.

The Codfather
11-13-2009, 03:13 AM
Good to hear, just remember you have a conduit for everything creepy and crawly in your garage to inside your home. Might want to plug it off in the garage. Just a thought, glad I could help,
Bob