PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint eats coral frags?

Fishward
11-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Hey,
Came home with a Zoa frag this afternoon with a bonus Torch on it and left for a few hours for a beer and came home to a vacant frag! Torch nowhere to be found!.. would a peppermint eat a small torch coral?would a hermit crab? snail? who's my number one suspect?
want to string up one of them!... gah!

tlo
11-11-2009, 07:07 AM
I would put money on the peppermint shrimp.

Keri
11-11-2009, 07:13 AM
Is the skeleton gone too? no one would eat the skeleton, could it have dropped into the rocks?

Red Coral Aquariums
11-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Man that is too bad you were pretty excited about having the baby torch as a freebee. The little torch attached itself to the frag when I added 20 torches a while back to the same water column. My personal opinion is one of 3 things.
1) it moved after being put in your tank so keep an eye out for it just like it moved onto the zoa frag
2) If your crab is big enough it could have been lunch ( but then so would have your zoas)
3) Peppermint shrimp mistook it for an anenome?

Kevin

Fishward
11-11-2009, 08:13 AM
i guess ill have to peek about for it in the morning.. couldnt get a good look at it kuz the lights are all off but its definietely not on the frag anymore... bummed.. will have to find another tag-along frag next time im up in the NW!

chris121277
11-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Are you sure it is a peppermint shrimp....alot of times camels are sold as " peppermints" and if this is the case they eat all kinds of corals.

Does it look like this?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+690&pcatid=690

muck
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Are you sure it is a peppermint shrimp....alot of times camels are sold as " peppermints" and if this is the case they eat all kinds of corals.

My first thoughts as well...

Fishward
11-11-2009, 03:24 PM
phew! false alarm... found him!
got the peppermint at RC so im fairly certain its legit. he's been snacking on my aptaisia problem too.. dont think camelbacks eat aptaisia. all is well, the torch has been located.. thanks everyone!

fishytime
11-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Where was it?

tlo
11-11-2009, 07:38 PM
If the torch "moved" on it's own. It is not a torch coral, as they do not have a foot and lack the ability to move about.

Fishward
11-12-2009, 03:51 AM
If the torch "moved" on it's own. It is not a torch coral, as they do not have a foot and lack the ability to move about.

it hopped off the frag and onto the shelf i had it on first and was all curled up, without the light on i couldn't see it. in the morning i moved the frag and saw it where the frag was originally.

what would it be if its not a torch? some sort of anemone? it didn't so much 'move' per-say, as it did detach from my frag and latch onto the rock shelf..

if its an anemone will i still have to be worried about my peppermint eating it?

Red Coral Aquariums
11-12-2009, 05:18 AM
You are Correct tlo. It is not a torch but a fogspawn
Kevin

Ian
11-12-2009, 06:54 AM
confused....frogspawn=LPS.....how does it move around am I missing something?

Fishward
11-12-2009, 03:33 PM
You are Correct tlo. It is not a torch but a fogspawn
Kevin

So if we've settled on Frogspawn, any tips on keeping this little guy healthy? excited that it might sub in as an anemone for a clown.!..