PDA

View Full Version : Alternating currents?

dekay
09-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Do you guys have all your powerheads on at all times? Or is it necessary to have alternate timings? Which is better and why?

fishnut
09-02-2003, 07:13 PM
According to an article by Charles Delbeek, if you don't have a wavemaker or a SeaSwirl, then the best way to avoid laminar (constant uni-directional) flow, is to point 2 powerheads towards each other so that turbulence is created where the flows meet.

J & L has wavemakers on sale this month - each bar takes up to 3 powerheads and turns them on and off at different times. The only thing is that Hagen 802's (or any other Hagen PH) will not tolerate the constant on-off without burning up - you have to use MaxiJets with them.

I bought a used one, and it has been operating fine for me.

fishnut
09-02-2003, 07:15 PM
It is the Natural Wave Timer I'm talking about, by the way.

smokinreefer
09-02-2003, 07:36 PM
The only thing is that Hagen 802's (or any other Hagen PH) will not tolerate the constant on-off without burning up - you have to use MaxiJets with them.

IME, thats simply not true.
i have used hagans almost exculsively without any issues.
and i use 3 802s on that wavemaker without any problems.

Son Of Skyline
09-02-2003, 09:30 PM
I've never used the 802, but I have used the Hagen 402, Pro4, and Pro3 on a wavemaker and they all stopped working after about a month of use. They never burned up and they still work to this day, but they need a good smack on the sides to get them to start up after I plug them in.

The only thing is that Hagen 802's (or any other Hagen PH) will not tolerate the constant on-off without burning up - you have to use MaxiJets with them.

IME, thats simply not true.
i have used hagans almost exculsively without any issues.
and i use 3 802s on that wavemaker without any problems.

Samw
09-02-2003, 09:39 PM
but they need a good smack on the sides to get them to start up after I plug them in.

Hi Mason. You know its just the gunk that has accumulated around the impeller right? You just need to pull out the impeller, give it a good cleaning and also use a Q-Tip or small brush or something to clean out the impeller's chamber. I had a lot of gunk in there.

smokinreefer
09-02-2003, 09:54 PM
oh yeah, as for the altenating current thing...
most corals will do just fine under a constant laminar flow, but an alternating or random currents help prevent dead spots and detritus accumilation within the tank, and it also provides a more natural water movement for the tank inhabitnats.

i favor random currents whenever feasable.

Son Of Skyline
09-02-2003, 10:01 PM
Been there done that. One of my theories on it is that all the stop and go allowed dirt to collect, then score the impeller chambers bad enough cause the stoppage.

Keep in mind that my Hagen powerheads are ancient old, and it *may* be possible that 2 out of the 3 ph's have other problems too like bent impeller shafts.

Take it for what it's worth, but they always fired up right away until a month into using them with a wavemaker. So I guess it's also possible that the wavemaker didn't actually damage anything, but just stressed them enough to magnify the existing problems I already had with them.

Hi Mason. You know its just the gunk that has accumulated around the impeller right? You just need to pull out the impeller, give it a good cleaning and also use a Q-Tip or small brush or something to clean out the impeller's chamber. I had a lot of gunk in there.

Son Of Skyline
09-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Yes, back to the original topic :smile:

IME lighting seems to have more influence on coral growth (at least with sps) than waterflow direction. My sps clearly grow towards my metal halide bulbs regardless of flow direction.

oh yeah, as for the altenating current thing...
most corals will do just fine under a constant laminar flow, but an alternating or random currents help prevent dead spots and detritus accumilation within the tank, and it also provides a more natural water movement for the tank inhabitnats.

i favor random currents whenever feasable.

pocilipora
09-02-2003, 11:31 PM
I have my PHs on appliance timmers. Used to be on a wavemaker but I didnt think it was neccesary. An hour or two on/off cycle is all thats needed IMO. But having a laminar or alternating flow does change the way a coral will grow and how strong its structure will be.
Ive used 802's for years. I was going through an impeller maybe once a year, longer on appliance timmers. Pro4s I wouldnt bother with IMO.