PDA

View Full Version : Dirty IO salt

e46er
11-11-2009, 04:09 AM
I used to to use seachem reef salt but the calcium was high so I switche to IO and adjust the ca and mg levels no problem but the salt seems to be really dirty quite a bit of brown sediment in my mixing bucket...... Is this normal for instant ocean or did I just get a rogue bucket??

whatcaneyedo
11-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Normal :sad:

Myka
11-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Some people say this, but in the dozens of buckets that I have used over years I have never had this trouble. Are you usign RO/DI water of 0 tds? i wouldn't say there is any trouble using the salt since others have this occurrence without any issue.

StirCrazy
11-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I also have heard this alot but with the 15 buckets I have mixed I have never seen anything left over, just clear water.

Steve

Oceanic
11-11-2009, 03:56 PM
I used to to use seachem reef salt but the calcium was high so I switche to IO and adjust the ca and mg levels no problem but the salt seems to be really dirty quite a bit of brown sediment in my mixing bucket...... Is this normal for instant ocean or did I just get a rogue bucket??

Completely normal and 100% safe! This has been discussed by Randy Holmes on Reef Central, it is of no concern.

Tom R
11-11-2009, 04:27 PM
I have used IO salt for 12 years and every once in while there is residue in the bottom of the bucket after mixing. I have never had a problem using it though. As I was somewhat concerned I add an old Hagen powerhead with a filter attachment to my salt mixing barrel. This has eliminated any concerns.

Tom R

e46er
11-11-2009, 04:28 PM
ok thanks guys
and yes RODI water is used

whatcaneyedo
11-11-2009, 06:12 PM
For those of you who have never seen this before. This picture shows the upper water level line in my water change brute trash can. I use an RO/DI system that has always tested between 0-1 tds. I've mixed 2 buckets of Instant Ocean, 2 of Seachem, 1 of H2Ocean and have just started a bucket of Reef Crystals in the can. In the past I used to use one can for only Instant Ocean and another for Seachem, the Instant Ocean can became very dirty while the Seachem stayed relatively clean.

Those of you who have never had this happen, do you use your newly mixed saltwater right away or do you let it sit for a few days? I let mine sit for a week before I use it.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/Picture219.jpg

Tom R
11-11-2009, 10:53 PM
After a water change I refill the tank with RO/DI water and let it sit with a power head turning the water.

About 2 days before I want to do a water change I add the IO salt and a second pump to mix the salt. The next day I test for Ca and Mag. I then calculate the required dosage of Calcium and Magnesium to bring the batch to the right levels. The following day I pump out my sump and replace the water with the now completed 57G mix.

I then pump 57G of RO/DI from my water top off tank to fill my mix barrel for the next change.

Tom R