PDA

View Full Version : Centre piece fish for 75 gallon

Ellie_A
11-11-2009, 01:33 AM
I have a 75 gallon with lots of open swimming room and I'm looking for a nice centre piece fish to add.

I currently have a dwarf zebra lionfish, a blue jaw trigger, 2 bangaii cardinals and a foxface. I also plan on adding a mandarin and likely a clownfish of some kind in the future.

I would prefer something that isn't seen all the time and that is fairly active and colorful. Any suggestions?

Ellie

kien
11-11-2009, 02:13 AM
I would prefer something that isn't seen all the time and that is fairly active
Ellie

this could be read as a little bit of a contradiction, but that might just be me :-)

how about a blue spot jawfish? the ones i've seen have been very entertaining.
http://www.marinecenter.com/media/photos/27D094208D6B429887E064E42B85E185E.jpg

Ellie_A
11-11-2009, 02:26 AM
this could be read as a little bit of a contradiction, but that might just be me :-)

I meant a fish that isn't seen in stores or other people's tanks all the time, ie. rare. Sorry for the confusion.

I have considered a jawfish but the tank is open top and I'm concerned about it jumping.

globaldesigns
11-11-2009, 02:44 AM
How about a mystery wrasse? Very beautiful and unique. They will cost from $100 - $150, but in my opinion well worth it.

I had one for about a day... I didn't have good luck, as he was bullied right away, and I wasn't able to catch him to re-quarintine him. He didn't last the night. In my case it was a $125 clean-up crew feast.

Another beautiful fish is a Flame or Potter's angel, but if you have coral, BEWARE! They can nip at it.

Ellie_A
11-11-2009, 03:01 AM
I would again be concerned about jumping with a mystery wrasse although they certainly are nice looking.

I have considered dwarf angels but the tank is SPS dominated and I'm not sure I want to risk it.

Keri
11-11-2009, 03:05 AM
You have a dwarf lion, a bluejaw trigger and a foxface already? I dunno, 2 out of those three get to a fair size and add a lot to your bioload in only 75 gallons, I wouldn't add more. (But that's just me) All three of those fish are nice display animals too.

globaldesigns
11-11-2009, 03:06 AM
I would again be concerned about jumping with a mystery wrasse although they certainly are nice looking.

I have considered dwarf angels but the tank is SPS dominated and I'm not sure I want to risk it.

You are correct, I have lost fish to carpet surfing... Even fish that supposedly don't jump, I have lost them, from jawfish to blennies.

Ah, so you do have SPS, I wouldn't recommend the angels then.

How about a:
- squareback anthias
- Marine Beta - they do hide, but are gorgeous when out. they are reef compatible and peaceful

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-77581-marine-betta.jpg

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-11-2009, 04:10 AM
I like well-stocked tanks, but in this case, I have to agree that with your fish choices, the 75g is already going to have a heavy bioload. I would think the Blue Throat is going to be a beautiful centerpiece fish.

I know this is not what you want to read, but unless you're planning to upgrade to a larger tank in the next year or so, the foxface is going to outgrow that tank. Rabbitfish can grow very fast. I traded my rabbitfish in because it grew at better than an inch a month in my 210g. They eat lots & poop lots too.

If you want to get another centerpiece fish, wait till you trade/sell the foxface, since its the fastest grower & biggest bioload.

Anthony

globaldesigns
11-11-2009, 04:17 AM
I like well-stocked tanks, but in this case, I have to agree that with your fish choices, the 75g is already going to have a heavy bioload. I would think the Blue Throat is going to be a beautiful centerpiece fish.

I know this is not what you want to read, but unless you're planning to upgrade to a larger tank in the next year or so, the foxface is going to outgrow that tank. Rabbitfish can grow very fast. I traded my rabbitfish in because it grew at better than an inch a month in my 210g. They eat lots & poop lots too.

If you want to get another centerpiece fish, wait till you trade/sell the foxface, since its the fastest grower & biggest bioload.

Anthony

Bluethroat Triggers are a beautiful fish. I have one, and love it.

Just make sure you get a male, as they are the more colorful of the species. Mine has finished forming the yellow on his tail, and the yellow is starting to form on his fins (very patchy right now). His bluethroat wasn't really there, unless ****ed off, but now is there 100% with his growth.

P.S. Bluethroats have KILLER eyes, so cool to look at