PDA

View Full Version : SCWD

fishnut
09-02-2003, 01:02 PM
Does anyone have experience with these ? Ratings ?

monza
09-02-2003, 11:52 PM
If been using two of them for three - fours months now, very happy with them. Sorry don't have any rating handy, they can handle from low to quite high.

Dave

monza
09-02-2003, 11:53 PM
I've...

fishnut
09-03-2003, 12:50 AM
Just to clarify, by 'ratings', I meant 'how would you rate them in your experience ?'

Tks.

ryan_p
09-03-2003, 01:09 AM
What does SCWD actually stand for?

fishnut
09-03-2003, 03:19 AM
SCWD = switching current water director (I think).

LostMind
09-03-2003, 05:18 AM
using two of these for two months now, running on customsealife T4's. Very consistent, seems like only a little restriction overall.

With clamps and pvc you can do a lot of sh*t :)

sumpfinfishe
09-05-2003, 06:03 PM
Fishnut:
I've had my SCWD now since March of this year. I have had no problems with this device what so ever. For small to medium reefs I think this wavemaker is perfect. :exclaim: I have not yet removed it for cleaning but will do so in the next month or so. Not that flow has been reduced, it's just suggested by the manufactuer to clean the unit every six months due to build-up which could in turn cause the plastic internals to wear or break.

I will also copy my original post to this reply.

As for a rating: "two fins up" in my reef, out of a 10 I would chalk it up as a 8.5-9 :biggrin:

cheers, Rich

Well I just installed my new SCWD wavemaker unit yesterday and all I can say is Wow :!: :D .
For a smaller tank like mine I decided that it was better to go with this unit rather than a Sea Swirl setup which would just be overkill for a 27gl reef.
While down in Seattle on the weekend I was able to see for my own eyes how both units operate. The SCDW is designed for small to medium pumps as it will only handle up to 1400 gph at a max of 5 psi, as the Sea Swirls will handle much more.
I am really pleased with this unit, the way it quietly alternates flow back and fourth every 6-8 sec. to both sides of my reef with my existing 802 return powerhead.

On my next setup however, two Sea Swirl's would be the ultimate wavemaker :!:

If anyone wants to add an alternating current to there reef, I highly recomend both of these wavemakers :D
There websites are: 3iQVentures.com and sea-swirl.com

ABreefkpr
09-05-2003, 06:45 PM
I agree with Rich on the rating. 8.9 I have only been running mine for about 3 months now but it has never skipped a beat in that time.

fishnut
09-05-2003, 07:04 PM
Thanks for your replies - I appreciate you taking the time to let me know your experiences with the SCWD.

Now I will feel much more confident in purchasing one for myself.

fishnut

kari
09-06-2003, 01:50 AM
Been running one on a line from sump with a mag12 thru a chiller and up to main tank. Can't tell you how much flow lose it creates since I haven't tried it without it. In my opnion, it is a cheap, quick and easy way to create a more mixed flow.
There is a draw back though. As per a post by Evan, he found if you increase the flow rate the switching rate increases proportionaly. Too short of cycle time will be a waste of time. Therefore they will work great on smaller tanks or others only as an extra wavemaker. Check out Evan's post and see if fits your plans.
Haven't serviced mine yet. Probably should.

Rating= 8.0125 :biggrin:

Kari