PDA

View Full Version : anybody know of a good way to remove tile floor

Blowfish
11-10-2009, 05:53 AM
tried a chisel and hammer, but whoa thats hard!!!

fkshiu
11-10-2009, 06:09 AM
If it's been properly set and laid then you'll need an air chisel at the very least or most likely a small jack hammer. Have you considered just laying the new floor on top of the old tile if it's still in good condition?

Keri
11-10-2009, 07:42 AM
You have a tile floor in your reef?

argan
11-10-2009, 09:38 AM
If it's been properly set and laid then you'll need an air chisel at the very least or most likely a small jack hammer. Have you considered just laying the new floor on top of the old tile if it's still in good condition?

+1 to this

fishytime
11-10-2009, 01:13 PM
5-10lb "sister" sledge?:lol:

prodogg02
11-10-2009, 01:21 PM
use a heavyduty ice scraper slam it underneath along the floor and they should pop hard on the arms but a work out is always good

StirCrazy
11-10-2009, 01:57 PM
rent a hilti electric jack hammer and tell them what your doing so they give you the right tip.

Don't lay tile over old tile, not only is there a bonding problem but you double the weight on the floor which will lead to excessive deflection and cracked or popped tiles.

One thing you never mentioned was which type of subfloor, is it concreat or is it a wood subfloor.

Steve

BlueAbyss
11-10-2009, 04:19 PM
There is a vibrating 'tile peeling' piece of machinery called a tile stripper, I believe. I used one to remove a couple hundred square feet of tile last year...

The Grizz
11-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Hire a contractor,lol. Just kidding. The ice scapper works but must be sharp. and yes there is a tool called a tile stripper ( and you don't have to feed it loonies or toonies). Just have to make sure you stay under the tile and not down into the sub floor material and they will pop off, low angle of attack.

sharuq1
11-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Slam the floor a couple times with a sledge hammer. The vibration should cause surrounding tiles to pop loose. Repeat.

Myka
11-11-2009, 02:21 PM
There is a vibrating 'tile peeling' piece of machinery called a tile stripper, I believe. I used one to remove a couple hundred square feet of tile last year...

These work awesome!!

Sometimes you can just use a 5-6' prying bar that the end is wedge-shaped. Slide it along the floor to hit the mortar between the tile and the sub-floor. They will often pop up in one or a few pieces each. If this works it is easier to clean up than the other methods.

All else fails, use a 40 lb jack hammer.

Blowfish
11-11-2009, 11:28 PM
thanks for all the replys, i went to home depot today and they don't have the tile stripper all they have is a jackhammer with a chisel tip so i'm going to try that next week,

fkshiu
11-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Your level of frustration in removing tile is directly proportional to the care taken by the person who laid the old floor - the more care taken by him, the harder your job will be. If the guy was lazy, then you might be able to pop the tiles off one by one with a nothing more than a crowbar, but if the tiles are set good and true then a good jackhammer you will need.

new but handy
11-12-2009, 12:39 AM
and then a dust pan and a broom to clean up the toonie sized pieces:lol:
Have fun:twised: