PDA

View Full Version : What mode do you use on your Vortech pump?

globaldesigns
11-10-2009, 04:39 AM
What mode do you use on your Vortech pump?

I have used several settings and like quite a few, trying to see what the majority like and why.

fishytime
11-10-2009, 04:41 AM
Full Blast!!!Just cause I can:mrgreen: Feel the power!:lol:

Lance
11-10-2009, 04:43 AM
I have both MP40's mounted on one end of the tank and PH's at the other end. I find I get a pretty good random water movement with the Long Pulse as well as good flow around and under the rockwork.

globaldesigns
11-10-2009, 04:50 AM
Full Blast!!!Just cause I can:mrgreen: Feel the power!:lol:

I know, I saw it... You should hang a little surfer dude on your lighting and see what tricks he can do.

marie
11-10-2009, 05:09 AM
I had the 2 vortechs on long pulse along with 2 tunze 6085 streams but when I added new sand I temporarily pulled the tunze out and left the vortechs on full power
I think I get better flow coverage now with just 2 vortechs then I did with all 4 powerheads working...

Kevotron
11-10-2009, 06:28 AM
reading this thread makes me wanna get one so bad !!!!

mike31154
11-11-2009, 03:34 AM
When I had only the one MP40 I think I ran it in short pulse at the longest interval. I aquired the first one just before they came out with the Gen 2 version with Long Pulse and Night Mode etc. Almost a year after getting the first one, I finally got my hands on a second one which was Gen 2. So I was able to update the firmware on the original pump and now run them in Long Pulse mode, master/slave at about 75% power and approx 10 second interval. They are mounted on opposite sides about 3 inches below the surface. I've tried some of the other modes but settled on the Long Pulse setting since it works well for my 4 foot tank. Great flow, not overwhelming, with a nice back and forth circulation, undertow, surface agitation. The output of a largely empty (carbon only) Rena canister filter shoots across the center of the tank near the surface creating some random eddies in the flow there.

Ron99
11-11-2009, 04:16 AM
I tried the short pulse mode on nearly its slowest setting and it wasn't to bad but I like the reefcrest mode best. It really moves alot of water and picks stuff up off the sandbed with the undertow it creates.

Kevotron
11-11-2009, 05:13 AM
I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that I will be using pretty soon
should i get the mp10 or mp20 ?

globaldesigns
11-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that I will be using pretty soon
should i get the mp10 or mp20 ?

I am pretty new to this pump, so I may not be the one to answer, but if you can afford it, go for the MP40, this way you have all the power you need, you can dial it down and if you upgrade your tank, you don't need to upgrade the pump

It is about $150 more from the MP20 to MP40, if finances allow, that is what I would do.