PDA

View Full Version : Auto shut off valve

Jason McK
11-10-2009, 04:11 AM
Does anyone know where I can find a new Auto shut off valve for my RO/DI Locally

Mine doesn't seem to be working any more

J

hillegom
11-10-2009, 05:41 AM
I have a whole new ro setup for a spare if you want to borrow the ASOV

whatcaneyedo
11-10-2009, 07:10 AM
Not local but at least its within BC http://www.progressivereef.com/proddetail.php?prod=ROshutoff

mark
11-10-2009, 12:31 PM
See Aquasafe (http://www.aquasafecanada.com/shipping) back in business, wondering if they'll allow pick up now?

One thing though, my ro/di won't shut off either, I've taken apart and cleaned the ASOV to no joy, but reading that a faulty check valve might also be a cause.

Jason McK
11-10-2009, 05:14 PM
See Aquasafe (http://www.aquasafecanada.com/shipping) back in business, wondering if they'll allow pick up now?

One thing though, my ro/di won't shut off either, I've taken apart and cleaned the ASOV to no joy, but reading that a faulty check valve might also be a cause.

Ya my cleaning attempts also failed. Where is the check valve located? I have an auquasafe unit and was unaware of a check valve

J

sharuq1
11-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Mine died two days ago :( I took the check valve off and rehooked everything up with the tubes so the membrane doesn't go dry til we can afford a new valve.

Edit ok so I guess the membrane wouldn't be dry but it would be sitting there in non-moving water stagnating and likely getting ruined because of that.

Jason McK
11-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Found the check valve and will clean it tonight

Thanks all. I
l'll post my efforts tonight

J

christyf5
11-10-2009, 07:02 PM
pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does a check valve do? I don't think my aquasafe unit has one.

never mind, I put it together. The hamster is lazy on the wheel today :razz:

Jason McK
11-10-2009, 07:11 PM
It just stops the back flow of water. It should be part of 1 of the elbows of the exit of the RO membrain

Scroll down through this link to show you where it should be. I'm checking mine after work
http://www.melevsreef.com/rodi_help.html

lastlight
11-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Mine died two days ago :( I took the check valve off and rehooked everything up with the tubes so I the membrane doesn't go dry til we can afford a new valve.

I don't fully understand maybe. If a check valve is not working it lets the water seep out of the membrane canister letting it sit dry?

sharuq1
11-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Sorry, I meant the thingie marked "ASOV" on the Melev site above (auto shut off valve). Mine is attached to the end of where the three canisters go into the membrane and then goes to the DI. No water was going through it, so no new water was being made, which means my whole unit was sitting there stagnating for a day.
I took mine apart and the rubber inside looks degraded. I rinsed it all under hot water and put it back together and water is flowing again through the "thing". I need to buy a new one because I don't think that'll work for long.

Do we even need this thing or what? I'm not too sure what use it is....

lastlight
11-10-2009, 10:37 PM
In my experience these things are cheap and break all the time. Taking them apart has never gotten them working again for me. This time around I've chosen to remove it entirely and manually fill my reservoir every week or so after a water change.

hillegom
11-11-2009, 01:05 AM
You need that ASOV Otherwise, your reservoir of good RO water would be full, and not flowing, but water would still flow to the drain

lastlight
11-11-2009, 01:57 AM
Yeah I keep an eye on it and turn it off when my tank is full.

Jason McK
11-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Well I took everything appart and clean and cleaned, but after putting it back together, there is no change. Still not shutting off

J

Jason McK
11-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Well I ordered a new ASOV form Aquasafe and WOW I recieved my order the next day. Service was amazing.

Despite the new Valve it still does not shut off.

Any other suggestions?

hillegom
11-16-2009, 05:12 AM
I'd say check all the plumbing against that melev's site's schematic.
The ASOV is just that. It shuts off the flow. Its either the plumbing or the new valve is faulty. Check the plumbing to and from the ASOV

piusma
01-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I realized this is an old thread but I'd like to bring this up and may be someday it'll help one of the members. I have the same problem with the auto shut off valve not working properly. It'll slow the flow and may be stop for a second or two and it'll go again. If you have not installed the pressure tank, it will not work properly. At least mine doesn't without the pressure tank. Try reinstalling your pressure tank if you have removed it and it should solve the problem.
Steven

mike31154
01-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for that info re the pressure tank. I don't have a pressure tank on my system and the ASOV has never worked since day 1 so I've always done what lastlight does, keep an eye on the system and manually shut it down. Took it apart to have a look and still no joy when I reassembled it. Pretty simple really, just a diaphragm that should close the openings on one side with sufficient backpressure, so apparently not much that should go wrong. But due to my own experience with it, I would never trust that thing on it's own without being monitored. I think I may have got it to work a couple of times by cycling the membrane flush valve, but certainly not reliably. Maybe I'll try adding a pressure tank for RO at some point to see if that helps.

mark
01-12-2010, 07:00 PM
mines system is back up 100%, seemed the reason for not shutting off was indeed the check valve (not the ASOV)