PDA

View Full Version : Feeding (corals)

Kevotron
11-10-2009, 03:39 AM
I'm having trouble feeding my Sun coral and Acans without having my clowns, cleaner shrimps and damsels ripping the food right out... i have tried cutting out a 2L bottle, but the size of the coral is bigger than the bottle itself.
Hope yall vets can help me out with some suggestions.

Dez
11-10-2009, 03:40 AM
Try a 4L milk jug top....

Kevotron
11-10-2009, 03:41 AM
could definitely try that
now to drink 4Ls of milk :P

globaldesigns
11-10-2009, 03:56 AM
When I use to have a sun coral, I use to take it out and put it in a bowl with some tank water. I would then use a syringe to squirt a little bit of food in the water and mix it in. Once it sensed food in the area, it didn't take long for them to come out, I would then use the syringe to put some food on each head.

It was quite tedious taking care of it, but seeing it in the tank was nice. I however over time did lose it, got lazy in feeding it. I still have it, but only a few heads left.

Kevotron
11-10-2009, 05:25 AM
I honestly wish i can stab my damsel or catch it and just flush it down the toilet....
don't underestimate the intellects of fish, cuz they actually remember where to go for easy food, and that is right next to the sun coral/acan !!! :evil:

kien
11-10-2009, 05:29 AM
i have the same issue.. i just stand guard and chase them away with a long stick or blow them (the bandits) with the turkey baster. my powerheads would just blow away any covering i've tried :-( i have to alternate feedings in order to do this effectively though.

mitchelljared
11-10-2009, 06:32 AM
If your tank is big enough, feed on the opposite side of the tank for a while to distract your fish.
OR
Use tweezers and place the food directly into the sun corals' mouths, use smaller chunks so the fish can't get at it.

o.c.d.
11-10-2009, 12:18 PM
I feed early morning when the lights are off and the fish are sleeping.The corals are open at this time, for me at least

Van-rookie
11-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Will taking out the coral for feeding stress it ?
i have a big sun coral and difficult to feed each head in the tank, was thinking of taking it out when I want to feed it.

When I use to have a sun coral, I use to take it out and put it in a bowl with some tank water. I would then use a syringe to squirt a little bit of food in the water and mix it in. Once it sensed food in the area, it didn't take long for them to come out, I would then use the syringe to put some food on each head.

It was quite tedious taking care of it, but seeing it in the tank was nice. I however over time did lose it, got lazy in feeding it. I still have it, but only a few heads left.