PDA

View Full Version : Converting Aquaclear filters to refuge

Reef_surfer
11-09-2009, 10:39 PM
i was wondering if anyone has done a conversion on the aqua clear fliter to refuge. i have seen some threads on how to do it but i was wondering if that is enough to replace a protien skimmer. i have a 33g reef tank with a coralife super skimmer 65 and an aquaclear 200 filter. anyone have any info or advice as to whether the conversion is enough

blacknife
11-10-2009, 12:19 AM
I have a 33 with a remora that barely pulls anything and has HA problems. I tried turning an ac300 into a fuge with some cheato in it and it grew more HA in the cheato, I ended up getting a way bigger hang on back fuge which i think is making a big difference. 300 seemed a little to small, a 500 or whatever they are called now might be better. leaving the skimmer and adding the fuge would not hurt, unless you have some corals that like more nutrient rich water.

Skimmerking
11-10-2009, 02:51 AM
since I started you on it i might as well help ya out eh . lol

http://www.fishlore.com/refugium-setup.htm

here is one

Skimmerking
11-10-2009, 02:54 AM
DB please delete

Skimmerking
11-10-2009, 02:55 AM
BINGO this one is alot better man
http://www.coralforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24042

Myka
11-10-2009, 03:17 AM
I just bought an AC500 to convert into an HOB fuge. I originally had a fuge built to go under the tank beside the sump, but have since decided to go with an HOB fuge for pod propagation since I have no intention of using the fuge for nutrient removal. I'm going to use the old fuge for an RO holding tank for an ATO.

Ok, I'm rambling now...anyway, I'm not going to make any permanent changes to the AC500 just in case I want to sell it one day. I'm going to go to the craft store and buy that mesh people use to make needle point crafts. I think that should do the trick so I don't have to mutilate the media basket. :D

Please do post some pics of what you decide to do to yours.

Oh, and no a fuge is not a skimmer replacement.

Reef_surfer
11-10-2009, 03:33 AM
wow thanks for the info that thread was super helpful. myka do you think a AC 200 would work bc thats what i currrently have. also you said you had one already converted, would i be able to drop by this week to take a look at it. i think i might start tomorrow if the AC 200 works.

fkshiu
11-10-2009, 03:37 AM
Converted an old AC500 into a fuge. The bigger the better. Put an Ikea mini-spiral bulb on top and grew chaeto like mad. I later had it on the back of a 10 gallon nano I had briefly. Fit perfectly and added a lot of water volume.

Myka
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
wow thanks for the info that thread was super helpful. myka do you think a AC 200 would work bc thats what i currrently have. also you said you had one already converted, would i be able to drop by this week to take a look at it. i think i might start tomorrow if the AC 200 works.

I wouldn't use anything smaller than an AC500/110. I don't have an AC already converted, I have a classic sump-type fuge built.