PDA

View Full Version : Adding a sump

Leah
11-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I would very much like to add a sump to my 95 wave tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will tell you what I am thinking and let me know your idea's as am nervous about getting it right.

I am thinking of using a 25 gal tank that I already have. I do not think I will be able to use anything bigger because of how the opening in the stand is. But I have an empty 33 gal so will try and see if it will fit. If it will not is a 25 going to be okay? Any suggestions? Advice.

I will probably use a CPR overflow what size would I need? If going with the 25 gal? And if I were to use the 33 gal?

I am currently using a Remora Pro skimmer but I am getting a Deltec MCE 600
and would like it in the sump would this work?

If going with the 25 gal. Should I use the 3 sheets of glass in it or is it to small. The tank is 16" inches tall and 11 3/4" wide and 31 1/2" long.
Please let me know what reccomendations you have as I really would like to get this started but could really use some advice before I attempt this.

Thanks,
Leah

argan
11-09-2009, 02:14 PM
i dont know anything about the skimmer, but my friend had a 20g sump on a 180g display tank so 25g should be fine. As long as it holds what you want it to, and leaves room for the water coming down if you lose power, I say go for it.

Carmen
11-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Do it Leah!!! You won't be disappointed! :mrgreen:

Leah
11-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Am I headed in the right direction? Will need a return pump..... if so which one and what size, I have no experience with sumps HELP PLEASE! Going to Kelowna and would like some idea before I go.

argan
11-09-2009, 02:56 PM
look for around 2000gph for a return pump i would say

Leah
11-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Thank-You Argan, any thing else I should know before I spend recklessly?

Interior_Reef
11-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Depends on if your doing internal or external. if your doing an external pump, then i'd go with a Snapper. Otherwise a mag7 or so would be just fine. Just aslong as the return pump doesnt empty the sump, faster than the overflow can fill it. :)

Leah
11-09-2009, 04:22 PM
I am thinking it will be internal, so how do I match the overflow?

banditpowdercoat
11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
A 2000 GPH pump on a 25g sump??? That seems kinda excessive. I would think about half that flow, 1000 GPH or less. You don;t want fast flow through your sump, as the bubbles then do not have time to remove themselves from the water. I tried a Mag 7 on a 10g sump once, LOL, a throttled back mag 3.5 is what is in there now.

I was just thinking about this the other day, Leah, wondering if your still interestd. I've been so busy with home projects lately, that and still unemploeyd, and EI is taking FOREVER!!!!

For the sump, I would use 4 pieces of glass min. kind of like this
http://mike16b.homestead.com/files/Original_design.jpg

He's got the dotted line one is a piece of eggcrate, I put a piece of glass in there where the water has to go under it into center fuge/skimmer section.

PS I still am hoping to get to Van come Nov 20/22 :D

Leah
11-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Wow! Thanks Dan, pictures are what I need, lol!!!! I would like to get it going ASAP.
So could I use the pump off my Remora? Probably not that would be to easy? Just thinking it would be cool though.

banditpowdercoat
11-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Wow! Thanks Dan, pictures are what I need, lol!!!! I would like to get it going ASAP.
So could I use the pump off my Remora? Probably not that would be to easy? Just thinking it would be cool though.

If your not going to use the Remora, then ya that pump will work to start sure.
The Overflow's will only 'overflow' what the reurn pump pushes into the tank. So, if it was a 1000 GPH overflow, but you only fed the rank 400GPH, the overflow will only flow 400. If you exceed the rating, well then that's bad LOL

Using the remora's pump will allow you to concentrate more on the sump. Were you thinking of putting a light in there too? Running Cheato Algae or putting rock rubble in? My sump is simple design, using 5 pieces of glass.

Flow comes in and goes UNDER the first piece, then up over the 2nd. The 2nd's height is about 3/4 the whole sump height

Then ther's the fuge/skimmer section. I have a Deep Sand Bed of 6", some rock rubble, Cheato and the skimmer in there.

On the outlet side of the DSB, I have a 7" tall piece of glas, just to contain the sand and stuff, then the water goes Under another piece of glass, just like the inlet, then Over the last piece where it goes into the return water chamber. This jast piece is the one that will set the water height in your whole sump. I'ts the most important piece I think. As well, the return pump section needs to be large enough to handle water evaporation. As the tank, and sump will remain the same water lever, only the level in the return chamber varies. My return chamber holds 8g. But my sump is 60g I would try for 5g.

What is your tank's inside dimensions that your going to use fro the sump? I'll try to get time to draft up a plan for you and glass pieces list. Also, do you know the dimensions of the skimmer your going to use? It's footprint.

lastlight
11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
I didn't have a lot of room for baffles but I had 3 cut for that very purpose. In the end I only put one in (siliconed to the bottom of the sump, height sized for skimmer compartment. Then I have my heaters in the small return area after the single baffle with the whole compartment filled with rock. The rock takes care of nearly all my microbubbles. I plan to fill a few more key nooks with some smaller rocks later on but they currently stop >95%.

mseepman
11-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Leah,

You're getting some great advice on here already. From the look of Bandit's tank I would think he's a good man to listen to.

I use an overflow similar to the CPR and it's rated for 600GPH so that is what I tried to get out of my return pump so that they matched up. I expect that if you look at CPR's site, they should tell you what the model you plan to get is rated for and maybe even a suggested return pump.

I use Quietone 4000's with about 5' of head pressure.

lastlight
11-09-2009, 07:17 PM
From the look of Bandit's tank I would think he's a good man to listen to.

Oh I get it. Lastlight has no coral or fish. Under the carpet goes MY advice. :biggrin: Good point though haha.

mseepman
11-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Oh I get it. Lastlight has no coral or fish. Under the carpet goes MY advice. :biggrin: Good point though haha.

:redface: Not at all...in fact your tank is an inspiration! It just seemed like Bandit was taking charge with a lot of detail which is exactly what Leah was looking for.

lastlight
11-09-2009, 07:33 PM
I think I need a fancy disclaimer stating I'm never being serious since it's so rare that I am lol. Good point tho. I think emulating successful reefers will almost always have a positive outcome.

banditpowdercoat
11-09-2009, 08:11 PM

I think I need a fancy disclaimer stating I'm never being serious since it's so rare that I am lol. Good point tho. I think emulating successful reefers will almost always have a positive outcome.

So what does that tell you??? Get seroius and finish your tank LOL

But really, we all give great advice :D

And Mark, I have been helping push Leah to get a sump whenever I go over to her house and see her IMMACULATE and SPOTLESS tanks :D You really should see them. makes mine look like a pigsty LOL

Leah, were you going to just use one of your other tanks as a sump?

whatcaneyedo
11-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Melev's Sump page: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
Overflow/Drain size calculator: http://reefcentral.com/index.php/drainoverflow-size-calc
Head Loss Calculator: http://reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

The Herbie style of overflow is the only way to go in my opinion. Quiet, Safe, and little to no microbubbles instantly. If you plan on running your tank indefinitely it is well worth it to find somewhere or something to put you current livestock into so that you can bring your tank into a glass shop and have it drilled for one.

lastlight
11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Agreed. And with a sock on my herbie there are ZERO bubbles. Mine originate from my skimmer although some claim their BK's produce none...

banditpowdercoat
11-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I agree with the Herbie style Russel, But let's keep it simple for Leah. She want's to get sump under her tank's. Can CPR overflow her present tank's then drill and possible future ones. I would hate to tear hers dowm. Was tough enough tearing some rock out of the one to catch the Foxface. (poor little guy, Again, I'm sorry :( )

Leah
11-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Simple is Good thanks Dan, now everyone knows too! :biggrin:
When I get the skimmer I will let you know for sure maybe this weekend or next week. I hope.

Yes, I was thinking of using one of the 25 gal I have. Or I was thinking that I could use it on the 72 gal.

This footprint how do I get that? Ugh!

Maybe I should be starting on the 72 as I already have the skimmer.

Couldn't this be easier :redface: Can't I just throw a tank under and fill it with water and call it a sump, be so much easier. I really think I just can't get my head around this yet but I will. This is guy stuff.

banditpowdercoat
11-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Simple is Good thanks Dan, now everyone knows too! :biggrin:
When I get the skimmer I will let you know for sure maybe this weekend or next week. I hope.

Yes, I was thinking of using one of the 25 gal I have. Or I was thinking that I could use it on the 72 gal.

This footprint how do I get that? Ugh!

Maybe I should be starting on the 72 as I already have the skimmer.

Couldn't this be easier :redface: Can't I just throw a tank under and fill it with water and call it a sump, be so much easier. I really think I just can't get my head around this yet but I will. This is guy stuff.

LOL, it's OK, Leah, some times WISH my tank was simple LOL.

What skimmer are you thinking of? The manufacture should have dimensions posted online. Thats what I was meaning by footprint. And usin your tank will be fine. Can you take a tape measure to the inside of your 25g tank? length, Width, Height, then I can draw a sketch for you with sizes

Leah
11-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Dan,

Oh, the tank has water and a fish, this could pose a small problem. Looks like I may need to go buy an empty tank. Walmart here I come in this case should I look at anything other than a 25? Mark said he used a tall 20 under his tank, I think if I remember correctly.

If I start with the 72 gal. I have the skimmer, it is the Deltec 500 this may be my best
bet at the moment. So whatcha think?

banditpowdercoat
11-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Dan,

Oh, the tank has water and a fish, this could pose a small problem. Looks like I may need to go buy an empty tank. Walmart here I come in this case should I look at anything other than a 25? Mark said he used a tall 20 under his tank, I think if I remember correctly.

If I start with the 72 gal. I have the skimmer, it is the Deltec 500 this may be my best
bet at the moment. So whatcha think?

Sounds good. Better chance hanging that Deltec in a sump than off your main tank.