PDA

View Full Version : question about tank trim

christyf5
11-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Is that black tank trim just for aesthetics or does it do something structurally? I'm thinking about ditching it top and bottom.

yay or nay?

JDigital
11-08-2009, 10:27 PM
On a 6ft 180? I would guess that the top trim helps keep the middle section of glass from bowing along the edge, how much?? I dunno... Most of the time the trim is just to cover the sharp edges from manufacturing.

Could always silicone a glass brace across with middle I suppose after removing the trim..

christyf5
11-08-2009, 10:29 PM
oh never thought about the sharp edges, although its eurobraced but I guess still sharp. I was just trying to figure out how to hide the trim once I have it in the wall. Make the opening smaller?

JDigital
11-08-2009, 10:30 PM
oh never thought about the sharp edges, although its eurobraced but I guess still sharp. I was just trying to figure out how to hide the trim once I have it in the wall. Make the opening smaller?

I'm gonna have to look at your thread again... its eurobraced AND trimmed?? Never seen that before

EDIT: After looking at your thread, yes you should be able to remove the trim without worry... The eurobrace should be plenty to keep it from bowing.. As for the sharp edges, you could bevel/polish them down.

christyf5
11-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Awesome, thanks! :biggrin:

lngrhaul
11-09-2009, 04:05 AM
what about some nice painted wood trim around the tank/opening in the wall? then you can leave the tank as is and hide it at the same time.

Dez
11-09-2009, 04:50 AM
Scrap the trim. Check out my tank build. I was on the fence about the same issue you have and my 5' tank had glass bracing all around as well, but I ended up tearing all of the black trim off and I am absolutely loving it. My tank is a 5 x 2 x 2. The reason I took it off is because I wanted everything flush without having to build the stand bigger by the 1/8 - 1/4" that the trim adds to the tank. I don't think you'll have to worry about sharp edges. No tank manufacturer leaves freshly cut edges on the tank. It would have been at least rough sanded before construction. Hope this helps.

christyf5
11-09-2009, 04:54 AM
what about some nice painted wood trim around the tank/opening in the wall? then you can leave the tank as is and hide it at the same time.

yes I will be doing that but I didn't want to have to account for the 1" of trim that goes around both the top and bottom of the tank (reducing the viewable to 22" instead of 24" and making the bottom not quite the bottom). This way I can just rip it off and the tank will be fully viewable.

I had originally planned on actually making the viewing pane smaller so that I wouldn't see various powerheads and the wavebox but eventually scrapped that as it would just make the viewing pane smaller than I'd like. One day if I do a custom tank I'll plan it better for that sort of thing. For now I need to experience the entire 6x2 feet :biggrin:

christyf5
11-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Scrap the trim. Check out my tank build. I was on the fence about the same issue you have and my 5' tank had glass bracing all around as well, but I ended up tearing all of the black trim off and I am absolutely loving it. My tank is a 5 x 2 x 2. The reason I took it off is because I wanted everything flush without having to build the stand bigger by the 1/8 - 1/4" that the trim adds to the tank. I don't think you'll have to worry about sharp edges. No tank manufacturer leaves freshly cut edges on the tank. It would have been at least rough sanded before construction. Hope this helps.

Thanks, yes that totally helps!! :biggrin:

sphelps
11-09-2009, 01:18 PM
You don't need it but good luck getting it off :lol:
It will also take a lot of work cleaning up the silicone afterwards, be sure to think this out :wink:

Dez
11-09-2009, 01:41 PM
You don't need it but good luck getting it off :lol:
It will also take a lot of work cleaning up the silicone afterwards, be sure to think this out :wink:

It took me about 20 mins total to get the trim off. Just started with a razor blade, and the rest comes off pretty easily when you yank on it. Cleaning up the silicone was pretty easy with just a razor blade as well.

JDigital
11-09-2009, 07:50 PM
^^ Every tank is different... it took me 45mins to get the trim off of a 10G because of how much bloody silicone was used... I could easily see a 180 that's over-siliconed taking awhile. :wink:

lastlight
11-09-2009, 08:02 PM
I think the trim mostly allows the builder a balance between time/cost to make the top look good and be safest for arms. I've taken a few off a long time ago and can't see how they add any structural strength being so think and flimsy.

I have a friend (seriously) who tried removing his trim on a much smaller tank and broke the glass. Yours is much thicker though so I think your only concern is time and effort which of course you have plenty of.

I say do it!