PDA

View Full Version : Need help/info on raising corals

kuatto
09-01-2003, 12:28 AM
First let me say hi,I'm new to this board(been using REEFORG.COM)good to see local people i can chat with. :biggrin:
I've been considering turning my 44 corner tank into reef instead of FOWL.there is 2 clowns,2blue dams,3stipe,and a small yellow tang(will be moving himto a bigger tank)Is there any corals for beginners,and will any of my fish in this tank bother them?Trying to find ones that don't require alot of spec. lighting

Thanks for any help
Jim

Quinn
09-01-2003, 12:56 AM
Welcome to Canreef. Not too sure what you mean by 3stipe. I'll let someone who knows more about corals get more specific, but I expect provided you have power compact lighting, you could get away with a variety of softies and maybe even some durable stonies. I don't think any of your fish any problems for corals.

EmilyB
09-01-2003, 12:57 AM
What do you have on there for light right now?

kuatto
09-01-2003, 01:14 AM
Oops,meant 3 stripe damsel.As far as lighting,just normal flourescents(guess I'll need help choosing lighting to)
Don't know much about corals and lighting,I'm more into predator fish!

EmilyB
09-01-2003, 02:11 AM
Mushrooms, some leathers, zoos, should do fine with what you have.

kuatto
09-01-2003, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the advice,guess I'll have to go shopping for corals(my wife will be happy now that she'll have her tank the way she wants)I'll keep workin on my 300gal pred tank.I'll try an post some pics when it's all done.
Jim :multi:

EmilyB
09-01-2003, 03:26 AM
So tell us about the predator tank :biggrin: :cool:

kuatto
09-01-2003, 03:42 AM
well,I'm planning on building a 300gal FOWLR(MIGHT EVEN TRY FOR 800+)would like to stock with a miniatus grouper,snowflake eel,triggers.If I go bigger,than maybe a banded catshark with my lion and picaso trigger.
I've been thinking over differant designs(lrg poly tanks,wood,fiberglass,etc)but probaly just go with all glass.I think about all the tanks (100-250gal)i gave away when i got out of breeding reptiles :cry: