PDA

View Full Version : FOWLR questions

don.ald
11-05-2009, 09:13 PM
thinking about setting up an FOWLR 90g.
is it important to use RO/DI water in this type of set-up or does it matter?
also, does one have to worry as much about Ca, Alk, and Mg, like in a reef tank; or, will regular water changes take care of this issue?

BlueAbyss
11-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Regular water changes should take care of everything. Tap water is likely acceptable, but may cause algae issues in the long run (and that algae may end up being something like Bryopsis due to low Mg :wink: ).

intarsiabox
11-06-2009, 03:12 AM
It seems like most people on the west coast have the benefit of good water that doesn't require the use of an RO/DI unit. If you can get away without it then don't bother.

Nanoized
05-02-2010, 06:49 PM
I use D&D H2O salt and it specifically says to use RO water.
Algae and so many other problems associated with tap water, why take the risk especially for a long term tank.

Flash
05-02-2010, 06:54 PM
tap water is fine... just use prime and stability! lol! there are critters you can get to take care of algea!

Nanoized
05-02-2010, 08:09 PM
tap water is fine... just use prime and stability! lol! there are critters you can get to take care of algea!

Why add chemicals/conditioners to the tank risking a crash?

Water changes are the cheapest most effective way to keep the tank inhabitants healthy.

Flash
05-02-2010, 08:10 PM
that's what i was saying.. i add prime to my water changes, never had an issue! just saying i don't use RO water to sustain my tank!

Nanoized
05-02-2010, 09:56 PM
that's what i was saying.. i add prime to my water changes, never had an issue! just saying i don't use RO water to sustain my tank!

Ok so Prime is a water conditioner used when mixing your SW.

I would still stay away from those types of additives.

jmo as people do what works for them.