PDA

View Full Version : Filter socks and Herbies?

Delphinus
11-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Can anyone who is running filter socks on their sumps, as well as Herbie style overflows on the display tank, please post pictures or describe their setups to me?

I'm trying to convince myself here that the ideas aren't as incompatible as I think they might be.

I'm guessing the first thing that has to be done is the outlet pipe extended down so it releases at the bottom of the bag (so can be submerged) but I wonder how much of a PITA it is then to take the socks on and off?

lastlight
11-05-2009, 05:15 PM
We all know this isn't a running tank *just* yet but here is mine. I don't even think the sock getting clogged will mess with the balance of the herbie since water will flow right on over. No chance that the overflowing sock would have enough back-pressure to reduce flow in my primary I don't think.

You can see the tie-wrap gadget I have there. I just pull the wrap down to unhook the elastic which is attached to the sock's plastic loop. Easy! There is a pipe extending down btw to just below the water's surface. That way I can angle the sock off and keep it from fully submerging (losing detritus)

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/build/sock.jpg

kien
11-05-2009, 05:55 PM
My herbie overflow is submerged in the sump, but is still about 3 inches above the bottom of the sump tank. This gives me 3 inches of clearance to put the sock on and take it off.

When the sock is on it is so stiff that it actually is able to stand upright by itself without any extra support mechanisms. It just rests on the bottom of the sump tank and stands straight up. The top (openning) of the sock sits about 3 inches above the water level in the sump. As the sock material collects junk, the water level in the sock just rises until it reaches critical mass and just overflows the sock into the sump. This is when I remove the sock (about every 3 days?). I just push the sock down (to the 3 inches that I have), and remove. Rinse then store until I have two or 3 socks to throw into the wash. I have 4 socks that I rotate so as soon as the filled sock comes off a new one is put on.

I found that it was only slightly annoying to put the sock on when they were brand new and very stiff. After a couple of washes they are more malleable and much easier to put on and take off, yet still stiff enough to stand up by itself. I thought about replacing the overflow drain pipe with something more flexible (like those black ribbed flex hoses), to make it easier to shove into the sock, but it isn't really that much of a bother now.

If you want I can give you a demonstration with some creative papercrafting :lol:

lastlight
11-05-2009, 06:09 PM
I think I have about 5" of clearance from the bottom of the tank. Good to hear the system works. My only concern was all the crap leaving the sock when it's lowered into the water.

pterfloth
11-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Here is a photo of my sump with the herbie valve and filter sock. I use a piece of acrylic rod to support the filter sock. The outlet of the overflow extends well under the water in the sump. Changing the sock is no big deal and the silence of the herbie is essential because the tank is in my bedroom.

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo171/pterfloth/IMG_0197.jpg

kien
11-05-2009, 06:14 PM
I think I have about 5" of clearance from the bottom of the tank. Good to hear the system works. My only concern was all the crap leaving the sock when it's lowered into the water.

I was worried about this at first too but discovered that there wasn't much of any crap circulating in the sock itself by the time it overflows :lol: (i guess it overflows out). Most of the work of the sock is done when it traps particles inside the sock material and it traps it well. Squishing the sock down to remove it does release some but not a lot or particulate. In fact, when I rinse the sock out before throwing it into the washing machine I can barely get anything out of the sock material.

intarsiabox
11-06-2009, 12:31 AM
I was worried about this at first too but discovered that there wasn't much of any crap circulating in the sock itself by the time it overflows :lol: (i guess it overflows out). Most of the work of the sock is done when it traps particles inside the sock material and it traps it well. Squishing the sock down to remove it does release some but not a lot or particulate. In fact, when I rinse the sock out before throwing it into the washing machine I can barely get anything out of the sock material.

I have the same problem, if containing the particulate very well is a problem. The socks hold everything in and I get very little of it out by hand washing, so I wouldn't be concerned about submerging the sock to remove it.

kien
11-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Here are some pics..

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/IMG_1903.jpg?t=1257480482

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/IMG_1905.jpg?t=1257480507