PDA

View Full Version : Modern Warfare 2

lorenz0
11-05-2009, 05:11 AM
So its basically the game of the year and comes out in a week. Who is buying it and does anyone play on ps3?

JMes
11-05-2009, 11:10 AM
hg

Oceanic
11-05-2009, 02:31 PM
So its basically the game of the year and comes out in a week. Who is buying it and does anyone play on ps3?

I so love the first one that I pre-purchased MF2, I freaking love this game and I am typically not a video game person..... Can't wait!

04scoobysti
11-05-2009, 03:07 PM

I pre-ordered it too, but for game of the year I think im going to have to tip my hat to Uncharted 2.

JDigital
11-05-2009, 05:57 PM
I was really looking forward in playing this untill I found out there is no dedicated servers for PC version. So basically IW just destroyed the multiplayer for the PC gamers. IW is trying to migrate PC gamers over to the "we control everything and charge for it" . I have a PS3 but won't be buying this as I hate FPS on consoles.

+1.. Can't stand playing FPS on a console...

Either way I am still hooked on blasting Zombies and can't wait for L4D2.. :mrgreen:

Always looking for others to play with (Bots SUCK!!)

/thread hi-jacking! :lol:

lorenz0
11-05-2009, 07:22 PM
I have to disagree with you guys about playing FPS games on a console. Personally I used to play CS like a crackhead and my old key board shows it on the w,a,s and d keys. I enjoyed it, till I purchased my ps3. Not to be one sided I have also played COD4 MW on PC and it took some time to get used to but the default controls are horriable. To call in your UAV/Air strike/ chopper You have to pull your had off of either your mouse of your regular posistion just to call them in thus making you stationary. My friend who i played cod4 on his pc has top of the line everything, custom built comp, you name it and the graffic's blew compared to PS3. just my opinion though.

The only downfall to PS3 for COD6 MW2 is they are only offering the map pack to x-box users. Which at first ****ed me off but hell i never bought it for any of my other games, in cod5 everyone skips map pack levels.

Either way its going to be a killer game. oh one other game that was good this year was killzone 2. only played a bit since a friend lent it to me but two thumbs up on that one. I would say fear 2 was up there but the online play was horriable. luckily the actual game was amazing to it evened out.

anyways if you want to play cod4 i am on alot, always looking for people to play with. my sign in is AcroFrag

impreza
11-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Definitely picking this up! Hopefully going to take advantage of the ToysRus deal.

Oceanic
11-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I agree with you 100% I too cannot play these games on a PC, the Playstation rocks for FPS games.

I will add you too my friend list as I am on sometimes too, especially the zombies right now.

I have to disagree with you guys about playing FPS games on a console. Personally I used to play CS like a crackhead and my old key board shows it on the w,a,s and d keys. I enjoyed it, till I purchased my ps3. Not to be one sided I have also played COD4 MW on PC and it took some time to get used to but the default controls are horriable. To call in your UAV/Air strike/ chopper You have to pull your had off of either your mouse of your regular posistion just to call them in thus making you stationary. My friend who i played cod4 on his pc has top of the line everything, custom built comp, you name it and the graffic's blew compared to PS3. just my opinion though.

The only downfall to PS3 for COD6 MW2 is they are only offering the map pack to x-box users. Which at first ****ed me off but hell i never bought it for any of my other games, in cod5 everyone skips map pack levels.

Either way its going to be a killer game. oh one other game that was good this year was killzone 2. only played a bit since a friend lent it to me but two thumbs up on that one. I would say fear 2 was up there but the online play was horriable. luckily the actual game was amazing to it evened out.

anyways if you want to play cod4 i am on alot, always looking for people to play with. my sign in is AcroFrag

JDigital
11-05-2009, 09:01 PM

Who plays with default controls?!?!

Custom key mapping on a gamers keypad FTW. I don't have to stop for anything with the games I use. :wink:

Pescador
11-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I pretty well gave up playing PC FPS's, it seemed like whenever I had some free time to play there were updates and patches that took longer than the time I had to play.
It took awhile to get used to the XBox controllers but now there's no going back, especially on the 100" screen.
Can't wait for MW2 just replayed COD4 while I'm waiting.

lorenz0
11-05-2009, 10:54 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen the new trailor, released yesturday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyASw-1KWyU

Oceanic
11-05-2009, 11:08 PM

I just watched that video four times!

Wow.....

Veng68
11-05-2009, 11:14 PM
I came into the Call of Duty a bit too late for #4 but I've been playing CoD5 ....... but mostly zombies.

Can't wait till CoD 6 comes out and I hope they have zombies ....... but I doubt it.

Cheers,
Vic

pesto
11-05-2009, 11:53 PM
i love modern warfare that is the game that made me buy my ps3 and the only game i play lol

lorenz0
11-06-2009, 02:43 AM
i love modern warfare that is the game that made me buy my ps3 and the only game i play lol

same boat, is it bad that i have over 10 days of booked time on it...:redface:

intarsiabox
11-06-2009, 03:03 AM

Wow, that trailer looked awsome! I have so many games that I haven't even touched yet that I wasn't going to buy anymore until God of War 3 came out but I think I'll have to make an exception.:biggrin:

midgetwaiter
11-06-2009, 03:10 AM

I just fired up COD5 on XBL the first time last night and it was incredibly frustrating. When your console goes looking for games it doesn't try and find a game using a map that you have, it just looks for the "best" game. If it turns out you don't have that map it very helpfully pops up the XBL marketplace so you can buy the map packs.

Problem is if you don't want to drop 800 points (~$12) on a random guess of which one of the three available map packs you need all you can do is go try and find another game. Guess which game it selects as the "best" game again? Does the PS3 version handle this better?

I have every COD so far and a pre order for 6 but this is really making me think twice. I'd just go for the PC version but the dedicated server thing is pretty obnoxious too.

lorenz0
11-06-2009, 03:17 AM
PS3 doesn't send you over to buy the map pack. I have never had an issue with getting into games. My only issue is they won't load me into lower level games so i have to wait till player on my level skill are avaliable (maybe 20 seconds max). Ussually i hit the "find game" and i am in right away. I am very anti-xbox and this sounds like another way microsoft is trying to get more money out of you.

Marlin65
11-06-2009, 04:14 AM
How do you all have the time? :lol:
With up keep on your reef tanks and all.

midgetwaiter
11-06-2009, 05:56 PM
PS3 doesn't send you over to buy the map pack. I have never had an issue with getting into games. My only issue is they won't load me into lower level games so i have to wait till player on my level skill are avaliable (maybe 20 seconds max). Ussually i hit the "find game" and i am in right away. I am very anti-xbox and this sounds like another way microsoft is trying to get more money out of you.

I tried it again and it worked better, I was able to get into a couple of games for a while before the map rotated to one I don't have. On the whole the fact that it pops up the download window when you need some additional content is good, it just saves some time. It's Infinity Ward who designed a game browser that tries to join a map I don't have over and over again that burns me.

The whole reason I bought this thing was so I could stop gaming on my desktop and use Linux full time. I got the Xbox because it was $200 cheaper at the time, I don't know what I was thinking.

hockey nut
11-06-2009, 10:30 PM
The first COD MW was fantastic. The new one looks even better. I'm planning on getting it for sure. I use a PS3 and have enjoyed everything about this cosole. I don't have much time to play games as I would like, but I can't pass this one up. I haven't played COD for awhile. I guess I better get some time on the COD4 game before the new one comes out so I'm not so rusty :snipersm:.

Anyone going to buy the prestige edition?

Anyone standing in line at midnight ????

Veng68
11-06-2009, 10:46 PM
The first COD MW was fantastic. The new one looks even better. I'm planning on getting it for sure. I use a PS3 and have enjoyed everything about this cosole. I don't have much time to play games as I would like, but I can't pass this one up. I haven't played COD for awhile. I guess I better get some time on the COD4 game before the new one comes out so I'm not so rusty :snipersm:.

Anyone going to buy the prestige edition?

Anyone standing in line at midnight ????

I know 2 guys who are getting the prestige edition :) One of them is not me :(

Cheers,
Vic

hockey nut
11-06-2009, 11:16 PM
It's going to be hard to get as it is in very limited release. Are you not interested in buying the prestige ed?

Ian
11-06-2009, 11:22 PM
yup fully addicted to this game ....only one that has been in my ps3 for about 4 months now......gonna try for the prestige edition

Veng68
11-06-2009, 11:31 PM
It's going to be hard to get as it is in very limited release. Are you not interested in buying the prestige ed?

Hardened Edition maybe but not Prestige........ like $150 US.

Cheers,
Vic

hockey nut
11-07-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm going to try for the prestige edition too but like I said it's going to be hard to find.:sad:

Do I realy need night vision goggles...?????? sure why not...:lol:

Veng68
11-07-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm going to try for the prestige edition too but like I said it's going to be hard to find.:sad:

Do I realy need night vision goggles...?????? sure why not...:lol:

Both my friends pre-ordered from Game Stop in the USA about a month ago.

Cheers,
Aquaman

lorenz0
11-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Finally pre-ordered my copy today. Will be picking it up midnight on monday. I can't afford the prestige edition anyways i probably won't care much for what it comes with. So we have like 4 guys who play cod4 online, lets get a canreef session going. I will be on later tonight

JMes
11-08-2009, 07:58 PM
fd

lorenz0
11-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Wow you must really have a hard on for me.

For one my friend builds his own comps. I don't know the spec's, i stopped caring about gaming on my comp 5 years ago when i moved out. Now its just for browsing, Itunes and school work.

As for more than 16 players, this really tells me what type of player you are. Your the guy who wants to be rambo and open up on as many players as possiable. Personally i like smaller games in hardcore mode (hardcore team deathmatch, hardcore search and destroy) or even playing tactical. I am sure you know what these are but big games are for little boys who freak out and throw their controller across the room...

for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrL8J80Ysi8

As for cheaters on PS3 or any console. I haven't noticed any. You can look at the stats and they are ussually banned before they hit level 6 on the first prestige.

to end my little rant, its cheaper to buy a PS3 rather than buying a tower specifically for gaming. I like it better, I stated my point and thats where it ends. Just remember, you can have the best equipment in the world but it won't make you a better player.

JDigital
11-08-2009, 11:04 PM
I disagree with everything in this paragraph. I am not attacking you personally in anyway. Just stating my points in this.

Custom built by whom, Future Shop? I also have a custom built high-end gaming pc. I have been building my gaming pcs since way back in the 1990s and can tell you that not all pcs are the same in graphics, performance. This will vary depending on which Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Hard Drive, Video Card. As with everything in life you get what you pay for.

Rubbish and here’s why.

The Xbox360 is equivalent to the ATI X1900 256mb video card and the PS3 uses the 7900GTX 256mb card. Both GPUs have 24 pixel processors and run at 500Mhz. Both consoles were designed to run DX9 games at 720P (Do I have to say more?). Anything above the Nvidia 8800GT is a better card. Nvidia is on the 800,900,200 series video cards. Most gamers are using The 200 Series in their gaming PCs. Gamers can overclock their cards, or use them in SLI which can double the 720p.

Customize your keys. Makes your gaming faster and much more enjoyable.

A gaming PC has better graphics and higher FPS (frames per second). Multiplayer FPS is superior in everyway. I can set all my settings on high and still have a high fps with smooth gameplay. A good keyboard and mouse is much faster and more accurate than any controller. This is a fact. I’ve been playing MP FPS since the very beginning of FPS. Started playing competitively and leagues MP during Medal of Honor days (Infinity Ward is a breakaway from 2015 who made MOH btw). PC Multiplayer offers customization like mouse control, text chat in game and graphics settings. change of field of view. console commands. dedicated servers. lower pings mean less lag, I HATE LAG. With dedicated servers you can play up to 60 players online. With dedicated servers the server host is able to kick spammers,racists,and hackers. I can also choose the server I want to play on. PC Offers community made content and MODS. Custom Multiplayer MOD’s and MAP’s is where it’s at. This will add value to the game and make it last longer. In short this will bring the game to a whole new level. PC MP offers gaming communities and competitive play.

FPS has gotten very popular with consoles over the last few years. It's not that the console has better graphics and performance. It’s because the game developers are targeting the average consumer that can use a relatively cheap game platform compared to a gaming PC. The more people buy your game the more money you make.

To the ps3 players.
Max players 16 (No Dedicated Servers so you can't have 32slots or higher)
No community made content (want new content must pay for DLC)
No mods
No gaming communities or competitive play
Sub-Par Anti-Cheat System (no screenshots or MD5tool to catch cheaters)
Player hosting the game will have 0ms ping (his shots will always register first)

I agree with everything you said... hence why I still play PC FPS games... However I am boycotting MW2 and most importantly....Infinity Ward. Since they feel the need to screw PC gamers...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/pc-modern-warfare-2-its-much-worse-than-you-thought.ars

I'll kindly give my money to BF:BC2 and EA/Dice!

lorenz0
11-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Took a read, and let me say this.

For all your PC users who are ****ed about no dedicated servers, let me buy you a pint of boo hoo.

Its funny how you talk about "oh my system is so much more advance" but yet you can't host a game when our "crappy" little consoles have been hosting them for years. I rarely lag, unless the host has a horriable connection. I know there is an issue with the map bog in cod4 with lagging but hell if you can't stand it, leave and find a better game.

Sure it ****es us off when a host leaves but that ends the game and from the sounds of it, they should have kept it that way for pc. This pause to find a new host thing is stupid, that i will agree. but besides that, it comes down to how much you really love the game and do you want to have the media make your choice up with their option?

JDigital
11-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Took a read, and let me say this.

For all your PC users who are ****ed about no dedicated servers, let me buy you a pint of boo hoo.

Its funny how you talk about "oh my system is so much more advance" but yet you can't host a game when our "crappy" little consoles have been hosting them for years. I rarely lag, unless the host has a horriable connection. I know there is an issue with the map bog in cod4 with lagging but hell if you can't stand it, leave and find a better game.

Sure it ****es us off when a host leaves but that ends the game and from the sounds of it, they should have kept it that way for pc. This pause to find a new host thing is stupid, that i will agree. but besides that, it comes down to how much you really love the game and do you want to have the media make your choice up with their option?

What media? IW clearly answered all the questions regarding what is WRONG with the PC version...

As for the whole PC vs "crappy" consoles (your words, not mine) I got nothing against consoles, I love the xbox360 (cept for the Red Ring) (never played on PS3, hate sony).. I just hate consoles for FPS games, and it has nothing to do with graphics.. Driving, sports, GH/Rock Band, are perfect games to play on consoles IMO. I am a die hard keypad/mouse FPS gamer, simple as that. Hell, I'm not exactly playing on a "Gaming PC"... it's a stock macbook with windows.

I'm actually equally ****ed with the lack of a console in the PC version.

As for the dedicated server comment, I'll take that pint, never pass up a free drink... but seriously 9v9???? Most of the first FPS MP games that came out supported more than 9v9...

If you can't stay alive on a 32v32 server, maybe you should go back to the sandbox. :mrgreen:

Oh and one more thing since we're tossing mud at each other..... :lol:

to end my little rant, its cheaper to buy a PS3 rather than buying a tower specifically for gaming.

Not if you include the cost of the 50" TV, console users need/want/have... I bet a PS3 and even a smaller 36"-40" LCD (cuz really, what type of hardcore console gamer would buy anything smaller) would cost more than my laptop... to play the same game, with the same graphics, and worse controls. :wink:

JMes
11-09-2009, 02:00 AM
jh.

intarsiabox
11-09-2009, 02:34 AM
I personally don't like using PC's for any games (just my preferance) but I have never noticed any difference in graphics from an Xbox360, PS3 or PC. The manufacturer decides the quality of graphics in a game and the fastest graphics card and processor in the world won't make them any better. The only advantage I see in PC versions is that there is a lot more keys to add more stuff to use in the game (which is why I don't use PC's for games cause I can't remember all the features):redface: I don't see what all the arguing is about, it'll be a great game on any platform and everybody has their own preferences. All 3 platforms play games well and games are supposed to be fun.

lorenz0
11-09-2009, 02:46 AM
K so since you guys are ripping apart my posts. well let me start while my controller charges.

Josh this is what I think of that site you posted

"Josh111: PC Question... What will the max amount of players per map be for PC multiplayer on IW.net

Vince-IW: 9v9"

More than what I play. Even on ground war which is 8Vs8 on playstation the place is crawling with guys. only reason i play this is for big kills when trying to complete a gun. In hardcore your health is reduced, no map unless a UAV has been supplied and there is nothing on your screen to tell you if you need to reload or how much ammo you have left. This is why i like smaller games when i want to have fun, its not just blasting and everything that moves. You have to watch your corners for claymores and campers. 6Vs6 is more than enough for any map in Cod4 MW. Cod5 on the other hand introduced some larger maps where this could be fun, but this isn't world war style where you have a whole battalion going into battle.

"Q: Is there a console in the PC version of the game, so we can change our field of view from the xbox's default 65 FOV to 80 also can we tweaks the weapon damage for each gun, removes perks, graphical debris, breathing sway, also thru console like we where able to before or is this all gone?

Vince-IW: We would like you to play the game the way we designed and balanced it."

Challange yourself. Maps should only show corners and depending on your settings (if your usings a silencer/uav jammer) you won't appear on the map and not have to worry about people knowing where you are. If you don't have these perks, well tough ****, make due. Teaking weapons is already there, pending your add on depends on whats going to happen. for example:

Silencer- barely any noise, won't show up on the map but your giving up damage and distance
Red dot- best for aiming and not giving up full viewing
ACOG- great on rifles for long distance shots, giving up 60% of your viewing and allowing enemies to sneak up on you.

Each perks are set in different groups so that you can't create the ultimate set up. Once again challanging yourself. This is what IW wants out of the game. i have no issue with it.

"DudezTY: Since we cannot kick people in ranked matches, how will we stop hackers who get past VAC?

Mackey-IW: Our goal is to ban hackers from the game"

I do disagree with this. Its easier to hack on a comp compared to a console. If the Host had the power to kick hackers that would be good.

"kaRMa: Please give me a direct answer. On the PC version. Are all games hosted by players, and is there a five-second delay when host migration is in effect?

Vince-IW: yes"

Already answered this, boo hoo. live with it. PS3 does it and it works awesome.

"Moriarte: Ignoring IW.net, is the PC version a direct port of the console version?

Mackey-IW: No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings"

Once again, live with it. what more do you actually need that any of the consoles has to offer.

"If you can't stay alive on a 32v32 server, maybe you should go back to the sandbox"

Thats it josh, tomorrow i am making you play hardcore and if you can stay alive playing 32vs32 lets see you stay alive 8vs8 HA HA HA. yes that was a evil laugh. and yes i will be playing MW2 on the 50 till god knows what time tuesday morning.

Jmes I don't know. Sorry for making assumptions on your level of playing but hey at this point with you, to each their own.

K so this is my last post birkering with you guys. But I am a big time COD player, its all i play. I enjoy it and you can enjoy it on whatever console or computer you want to. I know for a fact that IW has pulled together a killer online play for this game. They did a good job on Cod4 and they have had a while to perfect this one.

JDigital
11-09-2009, 03:35 AM
Thats it josh, tomorrow i am making you play hardcore and if you can stay alive playing 32vs32 lets see you stay alive 8vs8 HA HA HA. yes that was a evil laugh. and yes i will be playing MW2 on the 50 till god knows what time tuesday morning.

Sure... just buy me the PC version... because I refuse to ever play a FPS with controllers. Of course I would die playing "hardcore" using controls I NEVER use (regardless of 8v8 or 32v32). Would be pretty dumb for me to accept your challenge. :rolleyes:

As for "live with it"... Fortunately, I don't have to.

End of Discussion.

Disclaimer: I'm only posting about all this to stir the pot. I could really care less what everyone prefers. I've made it quite clear on my feelings/preferences. :wink: Battlefield FTW (all of them) :mrgreen:

lorenz0
11-10-2009, 10:54 AM
So picked up MW2 tonight at 12 and have been playing for a couple of hours. Haven't played single player but here is the review on multiplayer:

Expect alot of campers. There are ALOT of blind corners in the maps and someone can just camp out and even in the first night the place is crawling with campers... well not crawling but you know, starting a fire and getting comfy where they are at. Let alone you need to watch the street level, in some maps there are bi-level buildings with windows you need to watch. This game was set up to be hard in multiplayer and is very camper friendly.

Over all liking of the game, i hyped it up a bit for my liking with multiplayer. Its alot slower than cod4 was. the graffics are a bit cartoonie. But i do enjoy the game. One thing i like are all the challanges. There is alot to do, since they added challanges for your perks and add ons this gives the player alot to accomplish. in 1 hour i was able to hit level 11 and there are 70 levels to beat to start your first prestige.

I guess i am a die hard cod4 MW player, and personally i like what they did 2 years ago better with the graffic's. I was planning on staying up all night but decided against it.

midgetwaiter
11-11-2009, 12:08 AM
So I posted earlier in the thread about my initial impressions of the multiplayer stuff in COD5. It might not seem relevant but the whole idea for me playing COD5 multiplayer a bit was so I could practice up for MW2 as I only have the PC version of MW1 and was planning to get a console version of MW2.

I made it past the issues I had at first and have played a few hours, the way IW setup the game browser really sucks. Aside from the game trying to join matches with maps I don't have, which would have been really easy to avoid, it also selects games with awful pings and hosts that go down all the time. You can play but it's annoying and I think needlessly so. There's 50k players online and I can't find 8 to play with that have a half decent ping? I've played xbox MW1 at a buddy's place before at it didn't suck like this, it makes me wonder if COD5 was a revamp of the multiplayer stuff and how much of that carries on into MW2.

Pre-order or not I'm going to try this out at a friend's place before I plunk down any cash, unless it works a lot better than COD5 I'm not interested. Anyone want a pre order?

I've made it quite clear on my feelings/preferences. :wink: Battlefield FTW (all of them) :mrgreen:

It contrast to how frustrating I've found COD, Battlefield Bad Company has been really nice. Fire it up, select quick match and go.

JDigital
11-15-2009, 07:06 PM
So I posted earlier in the thread about my initial impressions of the multiplayer stuff in COD5. It might not seem relevant but the whole idea for me playing COD5 multiplayer a bit was so I could practice up for MW2 as I only have the PC version of MW1 and was planning to get a console version of MW2.

I made it past the issues I had at first and have played a few hours, the way IW setup the game browser really sucks. Aside from the game trying to join matches with maps I don't have, which would have been really easy to avoid, it also selects games with awful pings and hosts that go down all the time. You can play but it's annoying and I think needlessly so. There's 50k players online and I can't find 8 to play with that have a half decent ping? I've played xbox MW1 at a buddy's place before at it didn't suck like this, it makes me wonder if COD5 was a revamp of the multiplayer stuff and how much of that carries on into MW2.

Pre-order or not I'm going to try this out at a friend's place before I plunk down any cash, unless it works a lot better than COD5 I'm not interested. Anyone want a pre order?

It contrast to how frustrating I've found COD, Battlefield Bad Company has been really nice. Fire it up, select quick match and go.

I'm trying to find as many local people as possible with the PC version so that we can play as a group in private matches.. So far I got like 4-5 others on my Steam list I can play with. If you get the PC version, PM me with your steam ID.