PDA

View Full Version : dried live rock

salty-ron
11-03-2009, 04:00 AM
hi all i have about 100 lbs of old live rock. it has been out of water and dry for about 6 mounts.can i put it back in water and in the dark and bring it back to life.

thanks for your time salty ron

shrimpchips
11-03-2009, 04:58 AM
Add a seed piece of live rock to the mix and you're good to go.

Eb0la11
11-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Might wanna add a 6 hr photo period as well to promote growth, properly heated water as well. Both those things can speed up the process.

lastlight
11-03-2009, 08:56 AM
promote what growth? I thought seeding was done without light as there is nothing on the rock that needs light except maybe some coraline? The light would fuel algal growth wouldn't it?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-03-2009, 09:30 AM
I would do it without lights. Add several pieces of live rock interspersed with the dead rock & maybe some live sand from your display tank too, since it contains useful bacteria.

Anthony

shrimpchips
11-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Light will promote algal growth, especially with all the phosphates and nitrates that will most likely be present in the water.

Make it "live" by making sure it's colonized by the appropriate bacteria first - covering it with coralline is secondary.

sphelps
11-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I'd cure it in fresh water for a couple weeks, changing the water daily. This will remove all the dead matter and built up nutrients faster and cheaper. After that you can begin the saltwater curing process.

Eb0la11
11-03-2009, 11:08 PM
promote what growth? I thought seeding was done without light as there is nothing on the rock that needs light except maybe some coraline? The light would fuel algal growth wouldn't it?

New live rock seems to go through an algae bloom no matter what, why not get it over with outside of the DT?

grimmer
11-04-2009, 02:21 AM
i had a tank set up a 4 years ago ,sold the livestock and kept the rock started a new tank 2 years ago and uses the dryed rock and bought a couple hundred dollars of new stuff to cure it. i had a lot of algae problems

i would sujest to get it back to live rock take your time have it in a spare tank and cure it for a couple of months and then put in you diplay tank

salty-ron
11-05-2009, 02:57 AM
thank you all for your coments i think i will start cureing it with some live rock for a couple of months and see what happens in dark.

thanks again for the info
saltyron.....................