PDA

View Full Version : Good RO/DI unit

burrows14
11-03-2009, 12:54 AM
I bought one a few weeks ago and its a piece of garbage so im sending it back and gonna buy a new one. I was looking on the J&L and thet have a bunch but not sure which is the best? Anyone have a unit that they are happy with that they would recommend?

Thanks
Ray

Myka
11-03-2009, 01:00 AM
I bought my AquaFX from J&L, it's great. Good built quality, good price. Although I see the price has gone up significantly in the last few years. :neutral:

leducreef
11-03-2009, 01:00 AM
i got this one it works great http://www.aquasafecanada.com/page/374258261

burrows14
11-03-2009, 01:03 AM
I bought my AquaFX from J&L, it's great. Good built quality, good price. Although I see the price has gone up significantly in the last few years. :neutral:

I was looking at that one. The puratek looks pretty sweet too lol. Good to know its well built cause the one i have right now is far from!

cheers
Ray

burrows14
11-03-2009, 01:09 AM
i got this one it works great http://www.aquasafecanada.com/page/374258261

Thats who im dealing with at the moment. Ive had nothing but problems with it and have spent time on the phone troubleshooting and no luck. Ive only used it a couple of time and have had fittings snap off leaks and it only prodices 15GPD and its Rated for 100GPD.

Ray

Myka
11-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Be aware that 100 gpd RO membranes are less efficient than the others with only a 90% rejection rate. It won't lower the TDS as much, and you will go through much more DI resin. Instead opt for a 50, 75, or 150 gpd system which have 98% rejection rate.

Bulk Seef Supply is another great source for RO systems at reasonable prices. Their build quality is also good.

burrows14
11-03-2009, 01:25 AM
yeah i read about the 100gpd membranes in another thread. I was thinking of a 75 for now. All i get out of my 100GPD is a slight dribble:sad:
cheers
Ray

Richer
11-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Get the Puratek one. After you factor in the pressure gauge and the booster pump, it is a decent deal. Probably one of the more efficient units available and from what I hear one of the few units that actually output water close to what it is rated at, I'm guessing that's due to the booster pump.

I bought a Bulk Reef Supply RO unit for my parent's drinking water, it works quite well. That'd be my second choice.

burrows14
11-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Get the Puratek one. After you factor in the pressure gauge and the booster pump, it is a decent deal. Probably one of the more efficient units available and from what I hear one of the few units that actually output water close to what it is rated at, I'm guessing that's due to the booster pump.

I bought a Bulk Reef Supply RO unit for my parent's drinking water, it works quite well. That'd be my second choice.

Im not sure if need a booster pump tho, my house pressure is 95PSI

intarsiabox
11-03-2009, 02:37 AM
95psi pressure, holy cow! Do live right beside the treatment plant? :biggrin:

I have a Kent 60GPD unit that I've been using for 5 years now with no problems. The Puratek model looks pretty tempting though with all the bells and whistles on it. Of course that is just more stuff to go wrong with it and my standard RO/DI unit has no moving parts or electronics, maybe simple is best?

Red Coral Aquariums in Calgary has a 75GPD model for $200 that is supposed to be really good but I have no personal experience with it.

mseepman
11-03-2009, 03:02 AM
I bought one of the ones from Bulk Reef Supply and it's great. Excellent quality and good price.

burrows14
11-03-2009, 03:16 AM
95psi pressure, holy cow! Do live right beside the treatment plant? :biggrin:

I have a Kent 60GPD unit that I've been using for 5 years now with no problems. The Puratek model looks pretty tempting though with all the bells and whistles on it. Of course that is just more stuff to go wrong with it and my standard RO/DI unit has no moving parts or electronics, maybe simple is best?

Red Coral Aquariums in Calgary has a 75GPD model for $200 that is supposed to be really good but I have no personal experience with it.

HaHa its a new house in a new neighborhood i dont know if that has anything to do with it lol
I know that simpler is better but it looks so cool plus im a sucker for anything that has an LED light on it lol

cheers
Ray

burrows14
11-03-2009, 03:18 AM
I bought one of the ones from Bulk Reef Supply and it's great. Excellent quality and good price.

after my last experience with buying online I would feel alot better buying local so if i do have problems again I have a face to talk to instead of emails and sorting out shipping.

cheers
Ray