PDA

View Full Version : Reddish bugs..........

Stevey87
11-02-2009, 07:23 PM
I think they are Acoel Flatworms. What to do?

I found these in the tank that has no corals and the one that does have corals doesn't seem to have these bugs but not sure 100%.

Oceanic
11-02-2009, 07:34 PM
I think they are Acoel Flatworms. What to do?

Red Planaria Flatworms

http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html

Myka
11-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Red Planaria are the less of the evil flatworms. They normally aren't overly troublesome to be rid of. Do some research on getting rid of them.

Tom R
11-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Try a Yellow Wrasse.

Tom R

Millepora_Maniac
11-03-2009, 01:10 AM
I've tried all sorts of different products, animals, etc. and the thing that worked the best was Flatworm Exit, by Salifert. The nudibranchs just die, and I own a six line wrasse, yellow wrasse and have tried various other means. I found only the Salifert product to work. I urge you to use caution though as this stuff will kill them right away, but they leave a serious amount of chemicals in the water immediately after they perish. I recommend that you use lots of carbon for a few weeks after the treatment as well, just to be sure. The key with these little guys is to get them taken care of right away before they get to the point where killing them, will kill your tank. Good luck:wink:MM

Stevey87
11-03-2009, 01:30 AM
Ok thanks. I thought these were the red bugs that eat sps.

Stevey87
11-11-2009, 11:18 PM
I've tried all sorts of different products, animals, etc. and the thing that worked the best was Flatworm Exit, by Salifert. The nudibranchs just die, and I own a six line wrasse, yellow wrasse and have tried various other means. I found only the Salifert product to work. I urge you to use caution though as this stuff will kill them right away, but they leave a serious amount of chemicals in the water immediately after they perish. I recommend that you use lots of carbon for a few weeks after the treatment as well, just to be sure. The key with these little guys is to get them taken care of right away before they get to the point where killing them, will kill your tank. Good luck:wink:MM

Does anyone know where I can get the Flatworm Exit?

sharuq1
11-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Another available option:
Try dropping the salinity suddenly. Remove any live animals like fish, inverts, and corals and drop the salinity, wait a couple hours, vaccuum up the bodies do a water change and add some carbon--re-raise the salinity. You can dip the corals in something like Lugol's or Tropic Marin Coral cure according to the directions on the box to get rid of worms taking a ride. Personally I would freshwater dip the corals (dip into freshwater, swish 2 seconds, repeat once and return to proper salinity) but this is not a practice without risks (your coral could die).

Flatworms don't like salinity changes and FW Exit, while a good product, is quite expensive.

You can also kill flatworms using levamisole. (do a search in the reef section for levamisole I bet it comes up with details). I used the salinity drop coupled with the levamisole and water changes on the club's nano and it worked really well. Since you don't have much in the tank yet it is not as much of a risk to try this treatment because you don't have much to lose yet. Levamisole will kill inverts such as shrimp, snails, brittle stars etc. so remove anything you care about. (Be aware that you could still get hitching flatworms hiding on and in the shells of inverts you've removed.)

Pretty sure you can get FW exit through the Reef Shoppe and maybe Red Coral?