PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Corals in Sherwood Park

jgoldsney
08-29-2003, 08:11 PM
I was just in to the Family Pet Center in Sherwood Park and they have a number of corals very resonably priced.

THere are some really nice long tentacle plate corals that are bright green for $26.00 and there are a few other nicer looking corals in the $26 - $40 range.

Just thought I would pass this allong

Joel

robbyville
08-29-2003, 08:21 PM
Hi Joel,

Always good to have great deals out there!

One thing that I think worthy of mentioning is that Plate Corals and many fungia, do not have a great survival rate in the home aquarium. I had one for a while that I loved but did not research in advance. I lost it of course due mostly to my own stupidity, it was afterwards in my reading in many books, searching threads, etc that I found out that most plates are better off left in the wild.

Too bad though, they are beautiful.

Best,

Rob

jgoldsney
08-29-2003, 09:07 PM
I had a butiful mutant plate coral that was actualy 2 corals grown together in to one (realy amazing)

It lived for almost 2 years quite happely in my tank and the only reason that i lost it was that my golden headed gobie decided to burry it for a week while I was on holidays.

What I found was the trick for keeping them healthy is to feed them directly once or twice a week. I would put a full piece of Krill by its mouth and it would pull it in and eat it (realy cool to watch) or suck some brine shrimp up in to a syringe and gently blow it at it's mouth.

Incidentaly a really awesome feeder can be made using a 1ft piece of rigid airline tubing, a 1 ft piece of silicone airline tubing and a large 40cc srynge.
you can suck up the food and direct it where you want.

At first it didn't seem to happy in my tank but when I started feeding it it seemed quite happy.

well that's my 0.02

Joel

Man I can't wait to get my big tank up and running :)
Playing in a 20 gal just isn't as much fun lol

Samw
08-30-2003, 06:10 AM
One thing that I think worthy of mentioning is that Plate Corals and many fungia, do not have a great survival rate in the home aquarium.

Had my short tentacle fungia for over a year before I had to sell it. Mak's got it now and it looked great the last time I saw it. I see a long life ahead for this guy.

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/0_Archive/Plate/picture%20027_std.jpg

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/0_Archive/Plate/133-3362_img_std.jpg

robbyville
08-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys good to know that others have had success! Mine was one of the fluo green plates, I wonder if that makes a difference?

My wife and I would really like to get another one now that we have more experience and have done our research. We'll see...

Rob

Mak
08-31-2003, 06:12 AM
Yeah, this Plate is doing awesome. No problems what so ever. On the other hand about 2 years ago I bought one of the Long Tenticled Plates and it did awesome for about 3-4 days then it just died. All water perimeters were all well within range. I won't touch the Long tenticles again.