PDA

View Full Version : HPS...

Just2Bad
08-29-2003, 04:21 PM
Which bulb I can run of a 400W HPS ballast...

iwasaki ???
10k ushio ???

StirCrazy
08-29-2003, 04:30 PM
a 400 watt HPS bulb. not any "true" MH bulb

Steve

Just2Bad
08-29-2003, 05:03 PM
so all the bulb that are use in reef keeping can't fit on a hps ballast ????

have you try it ???

Wilty
08-29-2003, 05:21 PM
here's info. from a green house.

"Halide systems produce an intense blue light that is excellent for vegetative plant growth. The blue light spectrum closely matches spring light and promotes healthy, compact growth in most plants. Choose a metal halide system if you garden indoors with no additional light source or if you need a light system to propagate plants"

"It is if you need supplemental lighting to encourage your plants to fruit and flower. If you garden in a greenhouse and can rely on the sun to provide necessary blue light, an HPS system would be the proper choice for you. The rich red hue of the sodium bulb recreates the autumn sun, stimulating the plant to advance and finish its growing cycle. Flowers and vegetables finished off under HPS light will show tighter, stouter blossoms with increased yields. But during a vegetative cycle of growth, using an HPS light alone may cause plants to grow long and thin, or leggy. Look into a metal halide system for vegetative growth"

There was mention of a "conversion bulb" that is a HPS bulb in the spectrum of a MH.

"Because the conversion process itself takes some energy to accomplish, conversion bulbs aren’t quite as efficient as regular metal halide or high pressure sodium bulbs, but they will give you the best of both worlds with just one light system. "

Just2Bad
08-29-2003, 05:26 PM
I ask this question cause I got 3 400w ballast for free 2 of them are M59 and one that is HPS, so I was hoping to find a bulb that can fit on the HPS ballast that I want to use in the middle of my 400w 20k ushio...

Wilty
08-29-2003, 05:29 PM
well if you could find info on the HPS that mimics MH, your rocking. The red light from HPS won't do in a reef tank. Evil red's

Just2Bad
08-29-2003, 05:36 PM
yeah that's why I was hoping some bulb like 400w 10k ushio or 20k radium or 400w iwasaki to work on this ballast cause I know that hps bulb doesn't have the right spectrum....

Jack
08-29-2003, 09:49 PM
You need to give more details. A Son Agro 430w "HPS" ballast will fire both the 10k and 20k bulbs.

The M59 will fire an Iwasaki... not sure on the 10k.

Aquattro
08-29-2003, 09:55 PM
The M59 will fire an Iwasaki... not sure on the 10k.

It will absolutely maybe fire them :razz: I had a couple of bulbs that worked fine their entire life onM59s, but my new bulbs stopped working after a week or so. M59 ballasts don't have starting circuits built in.

StirCrazy
08-29-2003, 10:48 PM
the only bulb we use that is a MV in the fish industry is a Iwasaki. BUT it is a MV conversion bulb which means it was designed as a MH bulb that was made to run in a MV ballast. the reason for this is that MV is very yellow in its light sorce 3500K to 4500K. while this encourages strong green leaf and stem growth it doesent premote the growth of the plants fruit. so the way it wors is the grower uses his MV bulbs all season to get the desired growth of the plant, then he would switch out his MV systems for MH systems to get the higher kelvin light . this got expensive as you woyld have to have two different ballast for each light. Iwasaki saw this and designed a MH bulb that would run on a MV ballast eliminating the need to buy twice as many ballast as you need.

I editited the above as due to being over tired and a little slow I mixed up HPS for MV.

so to make a long story short, if you already have the HPS ballast see if you can take it to some ones house to try it in your ballast. The Son agro is a 430 watt HPS ballast and it runs 10K bulbs awsome, so your ballast might be almost as good as the son agro but you would have to do a comparason to be sure.

Steve

stephane
08-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Radium 20k run perfecly well on a HPS 400

m59 is the recomended ballast for the 20k 400 watt hushio

StirCrazy
08-30-2003, 06:17 AM
Radium 20k run perfecly well on a HPS 400

m59 is the recomended ballast for the 20k 400 watt hushio

Stephane, I caught my screw up above between HPS and MV so I fixed it.. but I have a question for you.. how does a 400 watt HPS ballast with the radium compare to the son agro?

Steve

stephane
08-30-2003, 06:42 AM
an engeneer from Radium who have made severale test on american balast tell me the best ballast they found for the radium was the hps400 but I have never see it from my own eye so I realy can't coment on them

this engenier have also tell me pulse start ballast is realy not a good ballast for it

if just2 could bring is ass here with is new HPS ballast I will tell you soon as I have tree brand new radium instaled 1 week ago

I still love my 430 agro and radium combo but maybe we could have a look at those hps 400

By the way Steve did your PAR meter is for sale? it could be very good to have a PAR value also :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
08-30-2003, 06:48 AM
By the way Steve did your PAR meter is for sale? it could be very good to have a PAR value also :mrgreen:

Ha surly you jest, I am still haveing to much fun with it to sell it :mrgreen:

Steve

stephane
08-30-2003, 12:57 PM
I have try :cool:

If you ever change your mind send me a word :biggrin:

Doug
08-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Hey, there,s Stephane.

Nice to see you. Now Radium says pulse starts are not the correct ballast for their bulbs. :eek: Why dont they make up their, :evil: , mind. I thought that was the one they said was best to drive the bulbs, even though we now know how dim they are on them. :rolleyes:

I,m using my fancy ballasts to drive Iwasaki bulbs. Whoo-dee-do. :lol:
Looks like someone did pee-pee in my tank. :lol:

By the way, AJ, has a new light meter for sale. Its with his left over bulbs listed in the for sale forum.

stephane
08-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Hey ho Doug! Im not realy often here. the french forum is mostly a full time job but you all miss me :mrgreen:

Not exacly Radium compagny said the ballast is rong but the engenir
who work for the distributor of Radium in nort américa

he made severale test and arrive to this conclusion who is rong who is right I just can't tell you cause I dont use any of the recomended ballast :lol:

he said the pulse underdrive to much the bulb (if my memory is right the bulb was runing around 280 watt) and for a MH it is as much bad as overdriving it and it's why you can't Dim a MH.

Radium germany have said to me in the past they dont know our balast so they can't recomand anyting more than running it with the right voltage and current and starting parameter......

tank for the tips on the PAR meter :mrgreen:

Doug
08-30-2003, 05:19 PM
Hey ho Doug! Im not realy often here. the french forum is mostly a full time job but you all miss me :mrgreen:

Yea. :biggrin: They were looking for ya on AP also.

Doug
08-30-2003, 10:41 PM
If the pulse starts only drive bulbs at less than 300 watts, would that not be false advertisment to sell them as 400 w ballasts and say they can light a large reef tank?

Here is a better question.

Can I see a pic of anyone out there running a 400w Radium/ pulse start driven light, with any success growth wise? And I dont mean over a 20g.

Just2Bad
09-02-2003, 01:12 PM
if just2 could bring is ass here with is new HPS ballast I will tell you soon as I have tree brand new radium instaled 1 week ago

This thursday if you can I'll bring my 400W HPS.......