PDA

View Full Version : Reef-safe aquarium paint?

nlreefguy
11-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed a million times already. What I was wondering is if you were painting some plumbing in your tank, like a water return or something similar, what kind of paint could you use that would be safe for your aquarium residents? Not just fish but corals, inverts, etc.

I have some Krylon fusion black spray paint I was going to use - is this OK?

nlreefguy
11-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Sorry, it's Krylon Epoxy Enamel.... is this still good?

KrazyKuch
11-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Don't know what paint is good for your tank.....IMO all paints would be bad cause algae eating fish will be biting the pvc trying to eat algae and may scrape the paint off and end up eating paint......Personnaly all pvc in the tank will be covered in Coraline algae in a month any way!!!

blake374
11-04-2009, 03:56 AM
I can't tell you if that specific paint is good. A while back I was going to paint my white pvc return black and I did some research. I was going to use spray paint that was designed for plastic. It was called rustolium paint for plastic.

I am not a chemist, but I am pretty sure that when most spray paints dry they are innert and wouldn't effect the water.

I ended up finding that my pvc was not visibled when I screw my blacke "loc-line" hose into it.

fkshiu
11-04-2009, 03:58 AM
I've used Krylon Fusion on my PVC returns no problem.