PDA

View Full Version : How would you setup this sump?

canadian_srt4
11-01-2009, 10:01 PM
I have a 45g sump from someone who had it made but never ended up using it. Trying to get some suggestions on how an experienced person would use this set up... meaning, where would you have the water from the main tank overflow go to, protien skimmer setup, return, etc....

Feel free to hack my picture apart.

Thanks for any help!

http://www.winnipegheights.com/Kelly/45g_sump.png

Myka
11-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Ok that's a bit weird. The baffles seem too high to be very effective, and the chamber that I would want to use for a skimmer doesn't look big enough. I would be tempted to pull out the baffles, trim some down, move them around a bit, and get a few new ones made. What's with the two baffles in the back after the eggcrate that neither go to the bottom?

canadian_srt4
11-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Ok that's a bit weird. The baffles seem too high to be very effective, and the chamber that I would want to use for a skimmer doesn't look big enough. I would be tempted to pull out the baffles, trim some down, move them around a bit, and get a few new ones made. What's with the two baffles in the back after the eggcrate that neither go to the bottom?

my drawing may not be to scale sorry, I just did this fast in photoshop.

As for the 2 in the back.... no idea. Its hard to know what someone had planned when you were not there while it was being built. :redface:

Hence the reason I'm asking here for help.

Myka
11-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Re: the two in the back...that was a rhetorical question. :lol: Kinda me goin "huh?"

Could you do some measurements of the baffles to find out how tall they are (just the ones that go to the bottom)?

I'm thinking the front compartment where the tall baffle is was planned to be a refugium. Then I think the water is supposed to come in through that chamber next to it, go through some filter media into the centre chamber. I think the centre one is for the skimmer, and then the water goes out through the left. I would add another baffle on the left before the water goes out.