PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for my 125

rocco134
11-01-2009, 02:56 AM
Hi

Just looking for some suggestions on what to put in my 125 gallon tank (would like a community tank)

Thanks!

Van-rookie
11-01-2009, 03:05 AM
Tangs, Clowns, Gobies, Wrasses...:biggrin:

Those what I have in my 100G reef tank

Hi

Just looking for some suggestions on what to put in my 125 gallon tank (would like a community tank)

Thanks!

rocco134
11-01-2009, 03:23 AM
Tangs, Clowns, Gobies, Wrasses...:biggrin:

Those what I have in my 100G reef tank

thanks!

globaldesigns
11-01-2009, 03:29 AM
I think it will all depend on what you are wanting to do... Is this going to be a reef or FOWLR tank?

Let us know... depending on how you answer, you will probably get different combinations of livestock based on the type of tank you want to keep.

For example, I love clown triggers, but because I have a reef tank, I don't have that type of fish... So the type of environment will reflect what you can keep.

rocco134
11-01-2009, 03:35 AM
I think it will all depend on what you are wanting to do... Is this going to be a reef or FOWLR tank?

Let us know... depending on how you answer, you will probably get different combinations of livestock based on the type of tank you want to keep.

For example, I love clown triggers, but because I have a reef tank, I don't have that type of fish... So the type of environment will reflect what you can keep.

i was hoping to keep some softies

globaldesigns
11-01-2009, 03:42 AM
Cool, there are some great softies out there.

Tangs are nice, but be careful, some grow very large and your tank would quickly be to small... Also Tangs should have some length to swim in, so hopefully your tank is at least 5 feet long.

Wrasses, very nice fish... things like Mystery, McCloskers are very beautiful and are show pieces.

Clown fish, I have a maroon clown, nicer than the normal NEMO style

RabbitFish, I have a 2 barred, very cool and safe on coral... Be careful though they are venomous... I also have a Fox face, in the same family as the 2 barred

Anthias, I have a square back, very cool purple, pinks, yellows and orange... will grow to about 6 inches or so, but hangs out in the upper area of the water column

Cardinals - Pyjamas or Bangaii's, I have both and even got the 2 bangaiis I have breeding.

Dwarf Angels - I will recommend them with a warning. All angels can nip at coral. I have a SPS dominate tank and have been lucky. I love the Flame and Potters Angel, very eye catching

I hope these help

rocco134
11-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Cool, there are some great softies out there.

Tangs are nice, but be careful, some grow very large and your tank would quickly be to small... Also Tangs should have some length to swim in, so hopefully your tank is at least 5 feet long.

Wrasses, very nice fish... things like Mystery, McCloskers are very beautiful and are show pieces.

Clown fish, I have a maroon clown, nicer than the normal NEMO style

RabbitFish, I have a 2 barred, very cool and safe on coral... Be careful though they are venomous... I also have a Fox face, in the same family as the 2 barred

Anthias, I have a square back, very cool purple, pinks, yellows and orange... will grow to about 6 inches or so, but hangs out in the upper area of the water column

Cardinals - Pyjamas or Bangaii's, I have both and even got the 2 bangaiis I have breeding.

Dwarf Angels - I will recommend them with a warning. All angels can nip at coral. I have a SPS dominate tank and have been lucky. I love the Flame and Potters Angel, very eye catching

I hope these help

Cool... Thanks so much for the advice.

I seen something at MY LFS.. i am not sure what is was. It looks like an Achilles Tang but it its body is mostly gray and has some yellow and black coloring as well. not the best description but any idea on what it might be?

globaldesigns
11-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Not sure without seeing a pic, but does it look like this?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-74058-tang.jpg

If so, then it is a Naso Tang, or a Blonde Naso... This fish is too big for your tank.

rocco134
11-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Not sure without seeing a pic, but does it look like this?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-74058-tang.jpg

If so, then it is a Naso Tang, or a Blonde Naso... This fish is too big for your tank.

yes... this is the one. Thanks again!! Too bad he gets too big.

globaldesigns
11-01-2009, 07:27 PM
yes... this is the one. Thanks again!! Too bad he gets too big.

Yeah, too bad... This is a very beautiful fish. I have a Blonde Naso, he is only about 4-5 inches, but wow he is beautiful.

rocco134
11-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah, too bad... This is a very beautiful fish. I have a Blonde Naso, he is only about 4-5 inches, but wow he is beautiful.

maybe a bigger tank is in the cards..LOL

phillybean
11-01-2009, 08:56 PM
I have a Blonde Naso in my 75 and will be moving him to my 125 in the Spring. a 125 is a 6' tank, so it's fine.

Van-rookie
11-01-2009, 09:26 PM
can always get small tangs for now

rocco134
11-01-2009, 09:59 PM
I have a Blonde Naso in my 75 and will be moving him to my 125 in the Spring. a 125 is a 6' tank, so it's fine.

Thanks! anyone else's thoughts on this... The tank is 6 feet long but i dont want to get one knowing that he will just have to be moved in the future

rocco134
11-01-2009, 10:00 PM
can always get small tangs for now

does this mean small as is tangs that dont get very big or small as in juveniles?

Van-rookie
11-01-2009, 10:21 PM
juveniles

does this mean small as is tangs that dont get very big or small as in juveniles?

phillybean
11-01-2009, 10:41 PM
I have no intentions on moving my Naso into a tank bigger than 125, until my next upgrade, which I imagine is 5 years or so down the line.

At the end of the day, the so called "Tang Police" will say a Naso Tang won't be happy in a Tank smaller than 180 gallons. In my opinion, my Naso is stoked about life in my 75 gallon. He gets to eat whenever he wants, has no predators, no aggression at all in the tank etc.

The 125 is more about more room for my Corals than my fish, that said, I feel that a full grown tang, with the exception of Purple, Yellow and Scopa Tangs need 6' long tank. That said, the biggest tang I've seen in a Tank was a 14", 2" thick Hippo tang in a 5' 180. She was big, healthy and for all intensive purposes "happy".

My advice, deal more with Bioload, maintence. Get one or two "big" fish, a couple medium ones and some small ones.

rocco134
11-01-2009, 11:05 PM
I have no intentions on moving my Naso into a tank bigger than 125, until my next upgrade, which I imagine is 5 years or so down the line.

At the end of the day, the so called "Tang Police" will say a Naso Tang won't be happy in a Tank smaller than 180 gallons. In my opinion, my Naso is stoked about life in my 75 gallon. He gets to eat whenever he wants, has no predators, no aggression at all in the tank etc.

The 125 is more about more room for my Corals than my fish, that said, I feel that a full grown tang, with the exception of Purple, Yellow and Scopa Tangs need 6' long tank. That said, the biggest tang I've seen in a Tank was a 14", 2" thick Hippo tang in a 5' 180. She was big, healthy and for all intensive purposes "happy".

My advice, deal more with Bioload, maintence. Get one or two "big" fish, a couple medium ones and some small ones.

Thanks phillybean! gives me some more perspective on this. since we are on the topic, what type of food do you feed yours?

phillybean
11-02-2009, 01:27 AM
No problem, there are a lot of opinions in this hobby, I have mine, others have theirs. The big thing is to get to a point where you have success and keep it that way.

I feed two cubes of Mysis Daily, a quarter sheet of Nori every 2nd day and Pellets/flake food once a day on the days I don't feed Nori.

Once in a blue moon (when I am all out of Mysis) I feed a Manila Clam. All my fish, crabs and bristle worms enjoy the treat.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i158/phillybean/ClamFeedingFeb24.jpg

rocco134
11-02-2009, 02:07 AM
No problem, there are a lot of opinions in this hobby, I have mine, others have theirs. The big thing is to get to a point where you have success and keep it that way.

I feed two cubes of Mysis Daily, a quarter sheet of Nori every 2nd day and Pellets/flake food once a day on the days I don't feed Nori.

Once in a blue moon (when I am all out of Mysis) I feed a Manila Clam. All my fish, crabs and bristle worms enjoy the treat.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i158/phillybean/ClamFeedingFeb24.jpg

very cool! who is the guy in the middle? (not the cleaner wrasse (i think that what the blue is))

phillybean
11-02-2009, 02:44 AM
I think your referring to the Copperband Butterfly. Great Fish, but not so easy to keep.

rocco134
11-02-2009, 02:47 AM
I think your referring to the Copperband Butterfly. Great Fish, but not so easy to keep.

very nice