PDA

View Full Version : cultured stone ?

russp
11-01-2009, 01:15 AM
anyone ever used cultured stone in there tank , I am talking about the stuff they use for fireplaces. It is lightwieght concrete so it would be a great way to add some structure & keep the wieght down . will the concrete mess with the water parameters?

russp
11-05-2009, 12:53 AM
well ..... looks like I will give it a try . I have it stacked up in the tank so I will be filling the tank in the next few days & I will try to post some pics.

Myka
11-05-2009, 01:21 AM
The only thing I would be worried about are the dyes. I would cook the rock in Rubbermaid tubs for several weeks to make sure the concrete is fully cured, and done leaching.

Mrfish55
11-05-2009, 04:33 AM
I wouldn't put it in my tank, I just installed the stuff on my house and had to make a few cuts, it's full of all kinds of fillers and fibers to lessen manufacturing costs and make it lightweight, my best guess is it is full of recycled "stuff" and without knowing exactly what those fillers are it runs the risk of leaching who knows what into your water, sounds like a good idea but personally I would not try it.

bvlester
11-05-2009, 06:13 AM
all concrete products have lime in them it is used to harden the cement and it is not good for tanks. Now there in some white cement type of stuff that you can use for making stone but you have to cure it for a long time also.

I would not use the stuff in my tank.

Bill

lastlight
11-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Plus it looks unnatural. Even rocks that are used on the botto of piles etc...you can see parts of them and they will look very different from your live rock.

bvlester
11-05-2009, 04:23 PM
There is a guy here in Kamloops that make his own stone and it looks amazing he dose and very good job but cultured stone would not look right. It would be out of place in a tank.

Bill